Do you think that George W. Bush will serve more than one term?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
No need for a library he doesn't like to read. I'm sure he would settle for a baseball stadium +/- commissioner for life.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
No need for a library he doesn't like to read. I'm sure he would settle for a baseball stadium +/- commissioner for life.

probably be better than that jackass we have in office now

Dhruv

May 15, 2001
Originally posted by: rufruf44
Originally posted by: Dhruv
Originally posted by: technogeeky
Either way, Bush will probably be killed before he leaves office.

Tecumsa's (sp?) Curse.

unfortunately, i think you're right. The Bush's have pissed off 1billion+ people over, and over, and over again. It just takes one suicide bomber. No matter how much we invest in technology, no matter how many secret service agents we have for defending our leaders, we will never be safe from some suicide bomber strapped with tnt that rushes our president and sets off the bomb. Its perhaps the most crude, but most sure fire plan to kill someone. And I'm sure they're are plenty of volunteers by now.

look, by nature, humans have to let their guard down sometime, and when that happens, it'll be over. If its not Bush now, it'll be someone else later, but one thing is for sure, if we keep pissing off more people, we'll have to pay the consequences.

If that happens, it'll be suck being an arab and living in here. They'll experience much worse than what they're experiencing now post 9/11.
As for Bush, if he can outline a strong economic plan he'll get reelected.

or worse yet, it will be the Turbaned Sikhs that are attacked, and many Hindus, and some hispanics will prolly be attacked too. I think more Sikhs were attacked after 9/11 than Muslims were, and the irony is that Sikhism was formed to fight against the Muslim Tyranny in south Asia. Do Americans know the difference yet, even after we all know where Afghanistan is on the map now? Nope. We've all learned real quick about South Asia like most of us never knew before, but on the street, the average american still cannot tell the difference between the two. And since many Americans seem to subscribe to the punch/shoot first, ask later theory, it won't be just arabs that suffer, thats for sure.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The next prez will NOT be Hilary. My pennies are on John Edwards . . . not the freaky one . . . the senator from NC.

Yeah, John Edwards sure is drumming up support here in NC

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
If the best the Dems come up with is Gore in '04................yeah, I believe Bush will serve two terms.................

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I'd personally like to see a thrid party candidate in. Just about any of them, except the communists, nazis, and what not. A Green or Libertarian president would be great.

I like Ralph Nader, but I'm not fond of a good deal of his supporters.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
A president's chances of reelection are only as good as the economy that he happens to serve.

Basically, Bush has NO chance of getting reelected and there is nothing he can do about it, and there is nothing that he could have ever done about it.

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
Depends on how the Public feels about him at election time. If the vote was to happen now, I would have to say yes he will be voted in for another 4 year term, mainly because of how he has responded to the 9/11 attacks and how he has conducted himself since then.

The economy going down is bad for some, but good for others, like me. I was too young and dumb to invest last time the market was down this low, but you better believe I am investing now and will be rich in about 5 years from now. Filthy rich!! :) I can dream can't I ;)

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Bush is GONE.

He didn't win the Pop. Vote last time, there is scandel left and rigth, the economy is not going up anytime soon, and i don't think he can make this middle east thing last long enough, no matter how hard he tries.

I will take Gore over Bush anyday.

There was a rumor mill running that Mcain MIGHT accept a nod for VP from a Democrat, Now Gore and Mcain, that would be a good middle ground ticket. But its a Rumor and a VERY long shot.

Also don't freak out when Bush gets people in his own party running against him for the nod next time also.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
A president's chances of reelection are only as good as the economy that he happens to serve.

Basically, Bush has NO chance of getting reelected and there is nothing he can do about it, and there is nothing that he could have ever done about it.
Really????? How old were you in 1984?????;) Seems I recall nationwide unemployment at post WWII record levels and intrest rates as well.............the economy SUCKED.................still............who won that election and was president for a second term??????;)

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
Bush is GONE.

He didn't win the Pop. Vote last time, there is scandel left and rigth, the economy is not going up anytime soon, and i don't think he can make this middle east thing last long enough, no matter how hard he tries.

There was a rumor mill running that Mcain MIGHT accept a nod for VP from a Democrat, Now Gore and Mcain, that would be a good middle ground ticket. But its a Rumor and a VERY long shot.

Also don't freak out when Bush gets people in his own party running against him for the nod next time also.
#1 he doesn't need the "middle east thing" to last that long..............if he plays this right he doesn't even need to go to war with Iraq to make this work for him...........

#2 I'd LOVE to see ANY viable link to any paper/rumor, ANYTHING that states a possible Gore/McCain run! McCaine depises Gore and also is the Rep. front man for war in Iraq! He is more "gung ho" about it than even Bush and wants an overwhelming number of troops inserted for a massive ground attack and takeover of Iraq to eliminate Saddam as soon as possible! Gore/McCaine will NEVER happen!;)

#3 There will be no competition from any Rep. against the sitting Pres. and if you actually believe there will be you are Kanuts!;)

SpongeBob

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2001
In short: Yes he will win again in 2004 because more Dems will shift to 3rd parties than previous elections because the Dems have become increasingly undifferentiable(is that even a word?) from the Repubs and can't seem to put a good candidate forward to boot.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ToBeMe
Bush is GONE.

#1 he doesn't need the "middle east thing" to last that long..............if he plays this right he doesn't even need to go to war with Iraq to make this work for him...........

#2 I'd LOVE to see ANY viable link to any paper/rumor, ANYTHING that states a possible Gore/McCain run! McCaine depises Gore and also is the Rep. front man for war in Iraq! He is more "gung ho" about it than even Bush and wants an overwhelming number of troops inserted for a massive ground attack and takeover of Iraq to eliminate Saddam as soon as possible! Gore/McCaine will NEVER happen!;)

#3 There will be no competition from any Rep. against the sitting Pres. and if you actually believe there will be you are Kanuts!;)

I said there was rumor that Mcain might take a Nod for VP from a Dem, NOT GORE, just the Dem that gets the Nod for Pres.
So stop reading more than is on the screen.
I said Gore/Mcain as Gore is one of the front runners for Dem.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
(long post warning, damn I'm bad about that :))

we will never be safe from some suicide bomber strapped with tnt that rushes our president and sets off the bomb.
The President came to my college last september (the thursday before 9/11 acutally). That day, there were bomb sniffing dogs on campus, snipers (maybe just spotters?) on the roofs, and Secret Service agents on the roof of the residense hall tower (probably with a shoulder fired missle, but I couldn't see to confirm that). He gave a speech with the Mexican president at the basketball arena, to get in, you had to go through a metal detector and most men were patted down. This was just the checkpoint for the people getting into the stands. I have no idea what the security checkpoint to get out onto the floor was like.

Mind you this was PRE 9/11. I imagine it'd be very hard to get near enough to the president to hurt him today, and I for one am thankful for that. It'd be a devistating loss to the country.

His odds for reelection are based solely on who the democrats can get to run. What we may see is a situation similar to the 1992 election. In '92, Ross Perot drew a lot of votes, most of which I imagine would have gone to Bush Sr. Clinton was able to coast right in.

I can see this happening with the democrats this time around. The party is split right now, there's the Gore supporters and the rest of them. If Gore runs and then another popular Democrat runs as an independant, the votes might be split enough to reelect Bush.

As far as Hillary is concerned, I really don't think we need a woman president. While we may be ready for it here in the US, there's lots of countries out there who treat women as second class citizens. The President should be a person who commands respect, I'm not sure a woman president would get the respect she deserves.

I'd love to see Colin Powell run, but he's said numerous times he won't run. There's also a lot more people out there then you might think who don't want a black president. It really is sad, because I think he'd be good for the job.

We really can't blame either clinton or bush for the current state of the economy. Like someone said already, people were spending money they didn't have. They realize that now, and our economy is suffering for it. People ARE getting smarter about it. I saw an article last weekend that said 50% of college kids have a credit card now, compared to 57% a few years ago. They know they're dangerous so they're avoiding them.

ToBeMe

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ToBeMe
Bush is GONE.

I said there was rumor that Mcain might take a Nod for VP from a Dem, NOT GORE, just the Dem that gets the Nod for Pres.
You CLEARLY stated Gore AND...............fine

Let's see any evidence of McCaine taking a V.P. offer from a Dem.!;) There was an article not two weeks ago which clearly stated quotes from McCaine himself that he would consider a run in '08, but, he doubted it would happen because he wanted to retire. In the same article he also stated that he was firmly in the Rep. camp because the differences were obviously less than the differences he had with the Democrats.................all in all he was clear.................it won't happen!;)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

Now Gore and Mcain, that would be a good middle ground ticket. But its a Rumor and a VERY long shot.

do you read your own posts man? first you said gore and "mcain" would be a good ticket, but its a rumor and a long shot.
then you say its one of the front runners, after saying its a rumor.

anyhow, that probably would never happen, since mccain is pretty damn conservative on anything other than finance reform.