Question Do you think GPU stock/prices will get back to normal before end of the year?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
I'm looking for a GPU to finish my build but the deal with GPUs right now reminds me of when I was trying to get a PSU, but maybe worse. Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Wondering if stock and prices will be getting back to normal before end of this year?

No.

But, if you really want one, you can haunt the AMD website at 6 am PST every morning and maybe get an RX 6000 at MSRP direct from AMD.

That said, I have done that for the past week+, and no card for Leeea.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I think, "No", because we are at BTC ATH again, strong/Bullish ETH, basically, I just took a look at RX 5700 XT card pricing on ebay for new, looking like $700+ for BIN. (MSRP is ~$400.)

Demand is certainly high.

Reactions: Leeea

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Bad time to be a PC gamer. Better buy a Series S and enjoy 100s of games through Gamepass and hope that the situation improves later in 2021.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
I think, "No", because we are at BTC ATH again, strong/Bullish ETH, basically, I just took a look at RX 5700 XT card pricing on ebay for new, looking like $700+ for BIN. (MSRP is ~$400.)

Demand is certainly high.

It is, but it only got 'high' for those cards in the last week or so. I have been watching 5700xt cards for over a year now, mainly on Newegg and Canada Computers because the prices on Amazon are always too high. I never took the plunge due to their bad reviews and driver issues. I could buy any 5700XT card ON SALE up until Nov. 22nd (when I did actually buy a Sapphire card from Newegg for $380USD). The Gigabyte Rev. 2 card was only $365 USD and was in stock for almost 4 days on Canada Computers for online purchase. Now, all of a sudden, they are all gone on every site. Canada Computers does have some left if you live in Ontario and can go into the store.

I think people see Xmas coming and are realizing they have no hope of getting a new card until well into 2021 with all the bots and scalpers, and are just saying screw it, I'll buy a 5700XT, as it's the only card available above a 1660 at a reasonable price. I'm seeing a lot of new reviews on these cards saying just that. I got tired of thinking about GPU's anymore and did 'NEED' one to upgrade my 1060 3GB as I sold my 1070 months ago. The 1070 wasn't cutting it in DCS World at 1440p, otherwise I would have kept it until next year. The Sapphire card ended up costing me $550 CAD after tax and shipping, and I see the ASUS 3060ti is 'listed' at $712 CAD (w/tax, shipping) on Newegg, which is way more than they should be ($550 CAD) for 20% more performance than the 5700XT. I can't even imagine what they will be priced at when they are in stock! Ridiculous.

Last edited:

PrinceXizor

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2002
And the flip side is, I have NO video card (just integrated) and I'm trying to figure out how to boot strap myself until March so I can finish my new build. Low end prices are still ridiculous even before the shortage.

DustinD

Dec 19, 2004
I went through an interesting online buying experience with Best Buy for a 3060ti a few minutes ago. It made me wait to put it into the cart in a two step process, fine, fair enough, but then I couldn't check out. From the cart I would select a store to pickup from, but it would then say it was now unavailable no mater how fast I clicked. Locations would keep appearing and disappearing as I hit refresh. Finally after spamming about a 100 attempts at any store anywhere near me I got one to finalize checkout. Next week I'm driving an extra hour round trip after work to get my card.

I guess Best Buy's plan is to trickle them out every few minutes in spurts. If you get the trick down you can probably do better than I did and not have to drive so far. Keep refreshing the 3060ti cards and see how it goes for you.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
And the flip side is, I have NO video card (just integrated) and I'm trying to figure out how to boot strap myself until March so I can finish my new build. Low end prices are still ridiculous even before the shortage.

RX 470 on eBay is my go to on this. The only reasonable value under $100 and unlikely to depreciate further, if at all, by March. Can likely rent one for ~$20 by the time you come back here to flip it.

Reasonable 1080p performance.

My $.02.

I also heard that AMD has stopped production on the 5700 series cards (mentioned in the Anandtech news blurb on the 3060ti). There is pain ahead in the sub $400 price bracket. Are any new cards really being produced for that price range right now?

Reactions: alexruiz

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
It will be 2-3 months for GPU stock to be normal. AMD/TSMC should be done producing the chips for the PS5 and XB. Everything should be shifted to Ryzen 5k and Radeon 6k. The biggest issue with stock right now is shipping. Most people don't realize how badly shipping from China has been affected by Covid. Air freight has had to shift to boat. Air shipping capacity dropped by 95% back in Feb/March. It has slowly come back, but you can only re-do logistics so much. Losing the extra shipping from extra space in passenger planes, yes extra space is moving freight, is not a fully replaceable resource.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I'm skeptical of it being that short. I signed up on September 17th, for a 3080 on EVGA's site, and I can only hope to get one before May. And it wouldn't surprise me if they remain hard to get, until the next generation of cards comes out in 1 or 2 years.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
You may be better off with a prebuilt OEM box at this point. I see a few with a 3080 or 3090 for pretty reasonable prices, far better than what those cards go for individually.

Reactions: Meghan54