Do you think EA fears Valve?

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
After reading Sandorski's post Im left wondering if maybe Valve and Steam has what it takes to get rid of EA or at least weaken them heavily.

Originally posted by: sandorski
Valve and Steam. They just have to finetune the payment method used by Steam. For eg: Steam uses Paypal for CC Payments, but not for other Payment Forms like Electronic Chequing or Direct Deposit through Paypal. Another avenue they could pursue is the end of Hard Copy Sales. No more CD/DVDs, just the Purchase of a Code Key you would Buy at an Electronics/Game store.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
No, EA has EALink and a solid base in the retail market (which probably makes up the vast majority of nonsubscription revenue).

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
EA is well positioned across all game platforms... we are just now seeing Steam/Valve trying to enter the console market with the Orange Box.

If I were and EA exec, I would be concerned... but on the other hand, competition is a good thing and this could be good for the gaming community as a whole.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I see no possible way that EA fears anyone but themselves.

If one company can bring EA down it's internally, with bad administration over many years that would very negatively impact their economy, and the decline in the actual number of games made AND published. All that MIGHT, one day, give them a hard time, but I seriously and honestly think I won't see that happen in my life time.

GundamSonicZeroX

Platinum Member
Oct 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenoth
I see no possible way that EA fears anyone but themselves.

If one company can bring EA down it's internally, with bad administration over many years that would very negatively impact their economy, and the decline in the actual number of games made AND published. All that MIGHT, one day, give them a hard time, but I seriously and honestly think I won't see that happen in my life time.

Man, you're depressing.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
I still have trouble comprehending how EA manages to stay afloat with the boycott we got going over here at ATOT.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
I still have trouble comprehending how EA manages to stay afloat with the boycott we got going over here at ATOT.

For every one of us, there's probably 1,000 that must have the latest Madden/Sims/BF2 suckfest. They're either oblivious to the issues or gullible/stupid enough to think things will get better.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
From what I've seen of Steam, I don't think it will ever destroy any producers. The 2 big things that I see Steam accomplishing very well are giving old or failed games a second chance and giving small time developers an audience. Both of which I think are far more important than whether some giant producer gets toppled.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I probably purchase an above average amount of PC games. Number of purchases made via Steam since its inception =0.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000

what boycott? tons of people are here are buying EA games. just look at all the f-ing crysis threads

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

what boycott? tons of people are here are buying EA games. just look at all the f-ing crysis threads

My thoughts exactly:confused:

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I really hate Steam. I prefer to have my games on a physical disk, and not have to be downloaded.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh

My thoughts exactly:confused:

I fail at sarcasm.

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
I hate Steam because it's been out for like 6 years and it is still buggy as hell. As a rule, I have to close it before playing different games because it slugs up performance somehow.

This is across...at least 5 different computers that I've had. Probably more...

It still crashes and the whole payment setup is bunk

Turkey22

Nov 28, 2001
EA just has too many titles and franchises across pc and console gaming. As a side note I just purchased madden and nba live 08 both for ps2. While madden is pretty good, nba live is one of the worst games I've seen in a while.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Scouzer
I hate Steam because it's been out for like 6 years and it is still buggy as hell. As a rule, I have to close it before playing different games because it slugs up performance somehow.

I have no issues with steam. Neither has my roommate. Not sure what you're doing wrong.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Scouzer

I've never had a problem with Steam in 3 years.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

You're assuming everyone talking about the game has bought it.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
I really hate Steam. I prefer to have my games on a physical disk, and not have to be downloaded.

and be able to resell the game once I'm done with it....

Given the choice between Steam and retail, I'll pick retail every time. This unfortunately often forces me to support EA publishing, which makes me think they aren't going anywhere soon.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

You're assuming everyone talking about the game has bought it.

there are still tons of threads by people who have bought it. tons of people here also play the BF series of games and plenty of their other games.

sorry if i burst your little EA boycott bubble, but there is no shortage of EA supporters here.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
there are still tons of threads by people who have bought it. tons of people here also play the BF series of games and plenty of their other games.

I'm sure there are, but there's also plenty of people who won't hand over cash for another buggy POS. The BF2 series is a case in point. Anyone buying an EA game deserves what they get, especially anything from Dice. How badly can you a mangle a game? Just ask them.

sorry if i burst your little EA boycott bubble, but there is no shortage of EA supporters here.

There was no bubble to burst :confused: EA are the biggest publisher and sell a shit-load of games because they can afford to buy the most popular franchises and IP with the most potential. They're also the most hated due to the way they screw up said franchises and treat their customers and development teams. Any gaming forum or site tells the same tale. It's sad that some people think they're worthy of support.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
BF2 is one of the most fun multiplayer FPS games released in recent years. I've never subscribed to any EA boycott, I may question some of their motives, but I'm not going to refuse to support Dice or Crytek because of them, that is just silly.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: skace
BF2 is one of the most fun multiplayer FPS games released in recent years. I've never subscribed to any EA boycott, I may question some of their motives, but I'm not going to refuse to support Dice or Crytek because of them, that is just silly.

I agree, I bought 4 copies of Battlefield 2, all directly from EA.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

I'm sure there are, but there's also plenty of people who won't hand over cash for another buggy POS. The BF2 series is a case in point. Anyone buying an EA game deserves what they get, especially anything from Dice. How badly can you a mangle a game? Just ask them.

There was no bubble to burst :confused: EA are the biggest publisher and sell a shit-load of games because they can afford to buy the most popular franchises and IP with the most potential. They're also the most hated due to the way they screw up said franchises and treat their customers and development teams. Any gaming forum or site tells the same tale. It's sad that some people think they're worthy of support.

i don't know what you're gettingat by posting this? i don't really care for EA either.
you seemed to think everyone on AT hates EA also, but the posts prove that wrong. I was just pointing that out.