Do you sleep with a fan on, or dead silence?

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
I have a hard time falling asleep without a fan on, usually on it's highest setting.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
During the summer I have a dual fan that I put in my window. Other than that I prefer silence. I'd love to leave my computer on overnight to crack RC5, but it's too friggin' loud. 14 fans is a little much. Which is why I'm hoping to build a nice quiet dual 966 box.

[EDIT]Transposed a coupla letters...[/EDIT]

OMFG, I said "box" instead of "computer!"

:Q

Viper GTS

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I can sleep soundly regardless of the decibel level of background noise, but my wife is an extremely light sleeper and likes the "white noise" of a fan. We use a small 12" table fan on the dresser.

Fathom4

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2000
I have a slight case Tinnitus from operating loud machinery when I was younger so I never have "dead silence".

Fan on low.

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I have a hard time sleeping without my fan on high. I'm trying to get used to sleeping w/out it now that winter is approaching but its not easy. My fish tank makes a plethora of noises that my fan used to drown out and it drives me crazy.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Fathom...

That reminds me of something. Occasionally, I get this really strange sound in my ear if I'm sleeping on my side. It sounds like the clanging of machinery, but it coincides with my heartbeat through my ear. Weird sh~t.

Viper GTS

Fathom4

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2000
Yes, it's truly a case of the silence being deafening. What I realy hate though is when it's quite and I'm trying to hear a faint sound.

I don't have a hearing impairment, just a very low ringing. Of course I do have "Male Selective Hearing"!

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Every nite for 10 years,I fall asleep with the TV on to CNN.

Also a fan.

Can you say "subliminable messages"?

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Fan and radio but prefer silence or the great outdoors or ocean.

BTW, Sacotool, with a name like yours, doesnt the screaming keep you awake?

EverClear

Oct 12, 1999
Downloaded some ocean sounds (Waves) and then spliced it together so I have 80 minutes of ocean sounds without even the slightest pause between tracks. That drove me crazy.

Also the first one I downloaded had lightning crashing every twenty minutes or so, just when I'd start to fall asleep it would scare the crap out of me :Q

crazyasaloon

Mar 5, 2000
I sleep with the fan ON always(in the winter I just turn it backwards). I also use a "Sound Machine"(ocean waves)every night.

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I use a "sleep machine" when I stay at my condo during the work week because of noisy neighbors. The type I use is just a "rushing air" type, has several speeds and also adjustable louvers and vents to change the volume and pitch of the air sound. It's made by Sleep Mate, only about $29, and has served me well. They make other electronic models with synthesized cricket chirps, water falls, rain, etc., but I found them distracting. The rushing air is the most soothing, and would be similar to what many of you hear from your fans. I think it's better though because you don't create any drafts like you do with fans. Sleeping in a draft always gives me a stuffed up head.

Viper: That IS your pulse you are hearing.

masterskartrg

Jul 21, 2000
i use to live in chicago with no fans on but it was really load on the street so im use to it that i need noise to sleep (fan,tv,almost anything that makes noise in the room)

Eeks

Dec 8, 1999
I need the sound of a fan, even if its cold out. I also create a head pillow sandwich until it more or less knocks me out.