Do you read on the crapper?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: michaelsslave
Originally posted by: ahurtt
Yeah, mine are typically so big it's usually at least 10-15 minutes before I can stand up and walk again. Need something to do while I wait for the pain to subside.

yikes man. you need fiber. i get so much in mine it only takes me like a min to crap and get out of the bathroom

Fiber FTW

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole
Originally posted by: Jeff7
No, don't read, though I do spend awhile in there. Going, not too bad. Cleaning up - that's the time killer. Brief rant again on this - we wash our hands with water, we shower with water, but the dirtiest part of our body gets "cleaned" with dry paper. When you go for a shower, you don't do it with just a dry roll of paper towels, do you? Or maybe go clean the cat's litter box with your bare hands - then clean them off with toilet paper. It's just gross, yet we do the same thing with our rear ends.
Why bidets haven't caught on in this country, I don't know. Maybe there's some twisted sense of American pride behind toilets and toilet paper. Maybe it's because paper manufacturers would lose a source of constant revenue, I don't know. I do know that once I finally have a net positive income (college now, net income is negative) I want to ditch the toilet and its archaic accompanying "cleansing" method.

I've never used a bidet but don't understand how they can be as effective as toilet paper (moistened if necessary) when the water pressure probably isn't very high and the 'matter' they are cleaning off isn't always very water soluable, particularly with cold water.

Take my word for it. It works like magic. Seriously. Try it you will see.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
No, don't read, though I do spend awhile in there. Going, not too bad. Cleaning up - that's the time killer. Brief rant again on this - we wash our hands with water, we shower with water, but the dirtiest part of our body gets "cleaned" with dry paper. When you go for a shower, you don't do it with just a dry roll of paper towels, do you? Or maybe go clean the cat's litter box with your bare hands - then clean them off with toilet paper. It's just gross, yet we do the same thing with our rear ends.
Why bidets haven't caught on in this country, I don't know. Maybe there's some twisted sense of American pride behind toilets and toilet paper. Maybe it's because paper manufacturers would lose a source of constant revenue, I don't know. I do know that once I finally have a net positive income (college now, net income is negative) I want to ditch the toilet and its archaic accompanying "cleansing" method.

baby wipes are quite effective. They have flushable ones.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Yeah, mine are typically so big it's usually at least 10-15 minutes before I can stand up and walk again. Need something to do while I wait for the pain to subside.

Well, that explains your username. The 'a' stands for ass, doesn't it? :p

Ctrackstar126

Jul 14, 2005
I go out of my way to make sure I have reading material. I dont enter without reading material even if im ground hogging(if you dont know what it means dont try to look it up for your sake)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim

I've never used a bidet but don't understand how they can be as effective as toilet paper (moistened if necessary) when the water pressure probably isn't very high and the 'matter' they are cleaning off isn't always very water soluable, particularly with cold water.

I wouldn't even know what to look if I was up for buying one. Style...brand...specs...price...:confused:

amazon: "bidet"

Mr Pickles

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I use to read on the crapper until I started to poop blood. And then I went to the doctor and he asked me if my poop was filled with blood or if it was just bloody when I wiped. It was only when I wiped so he knew just what it was. Apparently, I got hemroids from sitting too much all day, and sitting on the crapper where the blood flow is cut off by the edge of the seat is really bad for them. I used to take like 20 minute shits where I'd just sit there and play gameboy when I was a kid, then it was reading and the blackberry. My hemroids are gone now, but the blood thing was scary so now I make sure I'm in and out.

conehead433

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2002
Not too much reading. Maybe look at a few pictures. Now when I see a beautiful woman I think 'ah crap'.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000

I wouldn't even know what to look if I was up for buying one. Style...brand...specs...price...:confused:

amazon: "bidet"

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-a-Bidet

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: buck
Yep, and when I am on the crapper at work, I check out the web on my crackberry.

At work, I do get on the web on my BB or I'll play brickbreaker.

At home, I have a stack of magazines I'll skim through. Most of them are PC Magazine, Maxim, orsome other "maxim-like" magazine that I get for free.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
No. I get in, do my business and get out. Unlike some people, I DO think my shit stinks and don't care to smell it for 15 minutes.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
No. I get in, do my business and get out. Unlike some people, I DO think my shit stinks and don't care to smell it for 15 minutes.
courtesy flush for yourself. i do.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Yep, I currently have the following on the table in my bathroom:

Playboy (mostly for my wife.... no, I'm not kidding...)
Stuff
Car and Driver
PC Magazine
GameInformer
Electronic Gaming Monthly

The only time I actually read is on the toilet.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: Ctrackstar126
I go out of my way to make sure I have reading material. I dont enter without reading material even if im ground hogging(if you dont know what it means dont try to look it up for your sake)

Lolz...I've always called it "prairie-dogging" :laugh:

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000

So that's how you got your handle... :D

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
You bet ... Golf Digest is the primary material, though if I've got a good book I tend to take it in there if the need arises.

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
when it's urgent, NO.

when I need to force something out and it's going to be a bit, then YES or I grab my Mogul and surf the web.

Jun 4, 2005
I read labels on the products in my bathroom. I don't spend enough time on the crapper to actually read some of a book/magazine.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Originally posted by: LoKe
I read labels on the products in my bathroom. I don't spend enough time on the crapper to actually read some of a book/magazine.
I've had to settle for shampoo bottles... in a pinch... ;)

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
nope. i've never understood people that do. you go into the crapper to do your busiess, and get out. not to spend time there.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Wow, at that pressure, does it actually clean or just put everything back where it came from? :D How big an issue is positioning, since everyone is different? I'd think it could spray stuff all over if its not aimed properly or the user isn't seated on the proper coordinates.
At that pressure, your liver could be retired, as you'd have all toxins flushed from your system. In fact, your liver would probably get flushed out too.

baby wipes are quite effective. They have flushable ones.
Indeed they do, thankfully. But to use the shower example again - do you take a shower with running water, or do you use a moistened washrag? I'd bet that you use running water with soap.

Originally posted by: Bryophyte

Well, that explains your username. The 'a' stands for ass, doesn't it? :p
He came up with that username while on the toilet, passing a Class 1 stenchbomb.

TanisHalfElven

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

I've never used a bidet but don't understand how they can be as effective as toilet paper (moistened if necessary) when the water pressure probably isn't very high and the 'matter' i i i i uise a kind of pipe assesory that plugs into the faucet.

2. just let the water flow and rub the area (keep water flowing) it'll be clean when it feels clean.
3. get up wash hands. really well.