Do you prefer English dubbed, or subtitled foreign movies?

Dubbed or subtitled?

• Dubbed

• Subtitled

Results are only viewable after voting.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
ie: Anime, or their live action version

dubbed = english voice overs in place of the original language

I prefer subtitles. dubbed seems so ridiculous.

How about you? Why?

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
dubbed bothers me as I hate when the mouths don't sync with the words/sounds. I don't mind reading.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I think subs end up being better, but it's so hard to find like a 2-3 hour chunk of time to sit down and devote to nothing but watching tv and paying attention to the subtitles that the convenience of the dub often overpowers it.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Dubbed. Too distracting to read subtitles. When I watch a movie I don't want my mind working on reading, I want it taking in the movie.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Subtitled without a shadow of a doubt. Dubbed films are just terrible. Unless it's "What's up Tigerlily?"

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Subs all the way. Original voice acting is always better, I may not understand what they are saying, but the raw emotions and feelings are still there (which are usually absent in the dubs).

bobross419

Golden Member
Oct 25, 2007
Need an option for "I don't watch foreign films". I get too distracted by both subs and dubs to enjoy the movie experience either way :(

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
With animation I prefer dubbed (though I pretty much never watch foreign animation), but with live action I prefer subtitles.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
dubbed bothers me as I hate when the mouths don't sync with the words/sounds. I don't mind reading.

Also, most of the time the dub voice actors/actresses just don't match well with what you see in terms of emotion etc. Dub voice actors/actresses just sound like a random person reading the lines most of the time.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I can't stand dubs.

Although, in Austria, I saw "walker texas ranger" dubbed to kraut. That had pretty high lol-factor.

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
A properly dubbed series is preferable. But I also watch the subtitled version.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Subbed. I really don't have a problem reading subtitles at all.

Dubbed just comes off as weird. When I lived in germany, I always hated watching American cartoons dubbed in german. It was horrible.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Subtitles. Some of the poetic cadence gets lost when the wrong language is dubbed in. It doesn't have to be as fancy as poetry; nuance gets lost in even regular speech. Also, it strikes as being a cheap "hack". Dubbed language is just wrong.

Locut0s

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I actually love to listen to foreign languages spoken by fluent speakers in a film.

Subtitled >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dubbed

I really can't stand dubbed stuff!! Sadly for some reason it seems that a lot of other cultures love to dub a lot of stuff. In China for example 1/2 the sitcoms and dramas on TV are dubbed AND subtitled. This is done to reach a wide an audience as possible because of the different Chinese dialects and for those who are illiterate. But you see the same thing in Europe and lots of other places. KEEP THE ORIGINAL AUDIO PLEASE!! I don't care what language it's in for the love of god subtitle it.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I usually end up enjoying subbed better. I've gotten so lazy recently though that I wont watch anything that is sub titled.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
None. If it isn't in English...I generally don't watch it.

Anime? No fucking thanks. I'm a grown up and don't watch cartoons.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
There are some good dubbed anime out there, but not a lot. Anyone that dubs live-action videos should be shot.

mav451

Jan 31, 2006
Subbed - native language is critical in any foreign media. I saw people whining that they had to read subs for Pan's Labyrinth - news flash, there are more countries than just the US out there.

Dubbing is only acceptable for the old, old kung-fu movies. Otherwise, throw it in the trash bin b/c it is crap.