Do you people think 3DMark2001 is a joke?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DoubleL

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2001
I don't play a lot of games, I do a lot of digital video and pictures, But I think at 13 you think you know everything, Then at 16 you know you know everything, At some point in your life you look back and say how could I have been that stupid

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Damn, I was close when I guessed his age. I wonder how I knew...hmmm

At 13, if you don't know what you are talking about, you just pretend to know. :)

panhead49

Golden Member
Jan 27, 2001
hit it on the head with the age!!.... not very level headed for all he says he does....

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000

<< And we all know everything at 13, remember >>

LOL, and Dad didn't know Jack.....

MYST22

May 9, 2001

<< I already act as the net/sys admin for a small web designing business >>

What kind of business hires a 13 year old to do something like that. Not that you can't do the job but how would like to tell your clients your network is down until you convince your admin's parents to let him out past 9pm.

Rage187

Lifer
Dec 30, 2000
Buy a GF3, problem solved..

I take it its your dads own company you work for, right?

Noriaki

Lifer
Jun 3, 2000
3Dmark2000 is probably still a more accurate bench because like others said 2001 is very much a DX8 benchmark.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, but there aren't many DX8 programs out there yet. So 3Dmark2000 is going to be more representative of your system performance in current games.

But no, 3DMark2001 isn't a joke...when the Radeon2 is out it will get good scores as well. So should the Kyro3.

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I would have to say that 3dmark or any synthetic benchmark is crap.
overall system speed matters almost as much. and the part about buying a GF3 just to get a higher score in 3dmark2001, thats a dumb idea (a dumb idea which i followed through on :) )
I realized my stupidity, and sold the card. I then bought a gf2 ultra for half the price. the only thing I miss is the anisotropic filtering :( .

anyways, 3dmark as a whole is a bullsh*t way to benchmark your PC.
-Steve

DoubleL

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2001
I read this post again and something isn't right, Don't try and BS a BS'er, I thought it was a little fishy the first time

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

<< I realized my stupidity, and sold the card. I then bought a gf2 ultra for half the price. >>

If you got an Ultra for 1/2 the price (~$175?) of a GeForce3 then I guess that was a good deal. But I'd take a GF3 over a GF2Ultra any day. The thing I like most about the GF3 is that it can finally do 1024x768x32 4X FSAA (well, QAA) at a good frame rate and it can do 1600x1200x32 MUCH better than a GeForce2 (GTS, Pro, Ultra). Not to mention the filters on the GF3 are much better than teh GF2, and the 2D should compare pretty close to my V5 5500 of Matrox card. I've got a Pro (MSI 64MB) running pretty much at Ultra speeds and at 1600x1200x32 it runs pretty good, but I could use a little more power at that res to smooth things out a little more. ;) For people that like to play at 1024x768x32, a GeForce Pro or Ultra does VERY nicely though. ;)

Archknight

May 1, 2001
I agreed with the bragging a Geforce3 score part, as the rest............

Nvidia and Mad Onion only following Microsoft's DX8, so why not blame Bill Gate instead.

Archknight

May 1, 2001
Oh! and I think we have a lot of college graduates or students in this forum, I am one, and some really experience techs comes to this forum to share their knowlegde.

I am impressed by your set goals and skills at the age of 13, but..........

Phrygian

Mar 5, 2001

<< Instead of becoming or even thinking about becoming database admins, >>

I'm a DBA :)

- 8 production remote-site NT 4.0 MSCS running Oracle 8.0.5 Failsafe
- 1 production central-office W2K MSCS running Oracle 8.1.7 Failsafe
- 1 production central-office NT 4.0 MSCS running Oracle 7.3.4 Failsafe
- 1 test central-office NT 4.0 MSCS with two Oracle Failsafe groups, 8.0.5 and 7.3.4

Those are all Dell PowerEdge 6450 and 6300 servers with Qlogic HBAs and PowerVault 650Fs for the shared storage, BTW :)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999

<< why not blame Bill Gate instead >>

because gates is not responsible for directx

MSNY

Oct 29, 1999
They raised the standards from 2000 to 2001 and that makes sense.

Why test tech thats getting older by the day by todays benchmarks ?

Hardware &amp; drivers can do more, so testing should also.

LuciferHaze

Banned
Mar 17, 2001
It's a joke if your using a Voodoo card and it's not a joke when you're using a GeForce or a RADEON.

cgmxs

Jun 7, 2001
&quot;I may only be 13, but I will reach my goals in life; I will suceed, unlike some of you.&quot; Lol, that kind of attitude is gonna get you really far in life. 3DMark 2001 is a DirectX 8 test, so of course it performs much better on DX8 complient hardware...I suspect it will probably give equally high scores to Radeon2, Kyro III, and cards from any other manufacturer that also support pixel and vertex shaders. Anyway stop acting like you know everything, you're making us younger computer enthusiasts look bad :D. I'm 15, hell yeah!

ss284

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Would you choose a geforce 2 Ultra and $175, or a geforce 3?

Not everyone is a millionaire.

-Steve

jamie2833

May 1, 2001
unhappy camper:

<< I feel very sorry for you low-lifes out there that do NOTHING but brag about your systems, game, and hang out in chat rooms and message boards collecting. Do something constructive; like design stuff in CADs, shoot digital video and edit it, build a network, learn Unix; the list goes on and ON. It's truly sad >>

that's just it though, we DON'T do nothing but brag about our systems etc, we DO do something constructive like design stuff in CAD etc.
the fact that you joined this forum would either be to have a go at us all for whatever reason or to be a part of what this forum is: an online community where we like to chat, trade and share experience, help and knowledge about computers and more with each other, in our spare time, for practically all of us i would assume this is just in our spare time we do this. now if you're joining to be a part of our 'cummunity' then you'd better learn some manners.

<< Ignorance... HAHA!!! Let's talk about your ignorance!!! You can't even compare 3DMark2k results with 3DMark2k1 results!!!! >>

hmmmmmmm.......

<< I bet half of you haven't gone through college or do not plan to. I may only be 13, but I will reach my goals in life; I will suceed, unlike some of you. I have already setup a very nice VPN and 3 domains and am working on my MCSE. I already act as the net/sys admin for a small web designing business: and personally, I feel I do an exceptional job. So why don't you people grow up??? DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIVES!!! >>

you say that half of us probably haven't been through college, yet as you haven't been through college yet and you're doing so well yourself, what makes you think the rest of us are all such failures? what makes you think we haven't achieved our own goals?

also you can't say you WILL reach your goals, anything could happen, for instance someone could beat the crap out of you for being so cheaky and arrogant that you have brain damage, that wouldn't be so good for your MSCE now would it?

<< I don't play a lot of games, I do a lot of digital video and pictures, But I think at 13 you think you know everything, Then at 16 you know you know everything, At some point in your life you look back and say how could I have been that stupid >>

i think you're right about that, i may only be 18, not much older than unhappy camper but i do know that at 13 you think you can do anything, hell i did, even at 16 i thought i would succeed just as much, 16 1/2 years old, after i recieved my exam results i believed i was wrong, so very very wrong!!

you can't afford to be so niave in life, but then again it's a part of learning, you may learn that it's better to be nice to people beofre you get to know them or you could pick out their 'apparent' flaws and drill them about it, it's up to you.

as for the 3Dmark thing, you want speed and numbers then get a geforce 2 ultra and clock it even more, you want quality get a geforce 3, the anisotropic filtering on it is way better than anything else i've seen.
also the card will work a lot better than the GF2Ultra in future games thanks to it's programmable pixel engine or whatever it is :)

for me though my voodoo 3 2000PCI that pumps out a nice 50FPS at 1280x1024 16bit colour, high detail on everything playing Unreal Tournament is good enough for me. oh yeah and that's on my AMD K6/2-500, 128Mb PC-100 RAM, 30Gb ATA-66 running at 33!

Archknight

May 1, 2001
Sorry, when I wrote Bill Gate I was generalizing for Microsoft since he is the BOSS.

<< .......Do something constructive; like design stuff in CADs, shoot digital video and edit it, build a network, learn Unix; the list goes on and ON. It's truly sad >>

We all know sad for who.

Why people get so serious about the numbers on 3Dmarks?

Hawk

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2000
Wait, so his title actually says &quot;My Geforce 2 Ultra is better than a Geforce 3?&quot; That's all he wanted to say? He has a better video card than a newer one...man.

And I've heard the Nvidia conspiracy theory in favor of other companies, not against their own cards though...