Do you NOT hate the new gas can caps?

Blanky

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2014
Honest to @*#9, I cannot think of a better example of a stupid law. As you may know, a few years ago for the good of humanity a law mandated that gas cans have some stupid locking mechanism that, in theory, only allows gas to poor when there is pressure put on the spout.

The reality is that this mechanism works well one or two times. It thereafter fails to work properly because even the slightest amount of dust raises the friction point such that it becomes a complete cluster. In practice it's very difficult to use these and not poor carcinogenic gasoline on one's hands or the immediate environment.

A 5 gallon can I just bought a year or two ago has had today its spring broken, so now I need to go on amazon and pay $10-12 for a normal gas filling spout.

Oh, and good luck filling a lawn mower up to the top without it spilling everywhere. If you have a mostly full can, you can only pour when the nozzle is pressed firmly which means the spout is probably quite vertical, so you're all but guaranteed to spill a crap load of gas everywhere.

Lastly, I've also had one "burst" on me. A warm garage ended up resulting in a bloated gas can and when the pressure was released by one of these things it shot a gas cloud into my face.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
You can easily rip those out. One of in failed in under a year. I was able to remove the locking ring and the little valve in a couple of minutes without any tools.

Mutilator

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2000
Go to your local Lowes (or Amazon) and get an Eagle 5 Gallon Metal Gasoline Can. Yes you still have to squeeze the handles together when you pour it down the funnel but at least it works. Throw those plastic junk cans away. :p

twinrider1

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2003
Sucks on big cans. But the one on my little one gallon can works great for filling my trimmer. It has a little catch on the side, like this one, and is easy to control. I was surprised.
Gas-Can-3.jpg
Oh, and nice technique.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Go to your local Lowes (or Amazon) and get an Eagle 5 Gallon Metal Gasoline Can. Yes you still have to squeeze the handles together when you pour it down the funnel but at least it works. Throw those plastic junk cans away. :p

Why?, I've got a 15yr old plastic can that is perfectly intact, I like plastic, it never rusts.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
haven't seen those yet
I m still b1tchy about the loss of the vent cap
Yes I know you can get the retrofit kit but why!!

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
that's why i have 4 scepter plastic military cans and one metal that says USMC on the bottom. best cans ever.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
My new fangled "spill proof" gas cans just spill more gas everywhere. That whole EPA law was yet another epic fail of stupidity. I put a "water" nozzle on my cans instead, installed vents, and now I can actually fill my gas tanks without it glugging and splashing all over.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Why?, I've got a 15yr old plastic can that is perfectly intact, I like plastic, it never rusts.
My dad gave me an old plastic 1 gal (similar age as yours) and it was split at the seam on top. Strange since it was stored indoors. Luckily it didn't spill all over the car between the gas station and getting home!

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
To fill my lawn mower and snow blower I always have to take the original spout off and pour into a funnel.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Want to dump 5 gal cans in your boat/quad and not spend all day doing it? Don't feel like calling in a hazmat team after you spill half the damn can trying to use those stupid "safety nozzles"?

ez-pour

The only game in town. They fit on lowes/hodeho regular red plastic cans

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
Sucks on big cans. But the one on my little one gallon can works great for filling my trimmer. It has a little catch on the side, like this one, and is easy to control. I was surprised.
Gas-Can-3.jpg
Oh, and nice technique.

Yea my new 5gallon has the same system/design. The problem is the black part that screws on is not made to take the pressure of pushing down on it to open the can. So it breaks as it will crack near the top. Mine is less than a year old and already broken and as said leaks more gas than the old ones.

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
Want to dump 5 gal cans in your boat/quad and not spend all day doing it? Don't feel like calling in a hazmat team after you spill half the damn can trying to use those stupid "safety nozzles"?

ez-pour

The only game in town. They fit on lowes/hodeho regular red plastic cans

They are illegal in Ohio (and several other states), but they make a white version for "water" cans that is the same thing and is legal for sale lol :p

Brian Stirling

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I have a 1 gallon gas can that I fumbled with for a couple minutes until I realized you needed to push the spout hard enough to compress a mechanism that opens a butterfly valve to permit fuel flow. They really need to make the directions for these cans more obvious and on the can itself -- no point having the instructions in a booklet if you don't have the booklet with you when you need it.

Brian

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
What I hate is that, of course, the companies that make the cans told the government what it would do to the price of gas cans, and the government basically must have said they don't care, pass it on to the consumers!

So now a frikkin' 1 gallon can costs like $8 or so?? WTF?? D:

And all this so that some miniscule portion of vapor won't enter our atmosphere, or some idiot won't spill gasoline on himself? WTF is the reasoning for these??

Just glad I've got a small yard, and decided to go with a battery powered mower and weed whacker a few years ago. So much easier, and I don't have to transport gasoline in my vehicle. :thumbsup:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Gas-Can-3.jpg
Oh, and nice technique.

Agreed. I like them on the 1gal cans for chainsaws and trimmers. I cut them off the big cans. I miss the metal cans with the rubber spouts.

marvdmatrian said:
Just glad I've got a small yard, and decided to go with a battery powered mower and weed whacker a few years ago. So much easier, and I don't have to transport gasoline in my vehicle.

I'll take a few moments of fiddling with cans compared to using electric yard tools. I'd like to see the electric trimmer get through the kind of brush my Stihl with a metal blade destroys. :)

Last edited:

SparkyJJO

Lifer
May 16, 2002
What I hate is that, of course, the companies that make the cans told the government what it would do to the price of gas cans, and the government basically must have said they don't care, pass it on to the consumers!

So now a frikkin' 1 gallon can costs like $8 or so?? WTF?? D:

And all this so that some miniscule portion of vapor won't enter our atmosphere, or some idiot won't spill gasoline on himself? WTF is the reasoning for these??

Just glad I've got a small yard, and decided to go with a battery powered mower and weed whacker a few years ago. So much easier, and I don't have to transport gasoline in my vehicle. :thumbsup:

News flash - government does not care, period.

Sometimes I think they make stupid rules for the fun of it, just to laugh at making our lives miserable.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
They are illegal in Ohio (and several other states), but they make a white version for "water" cans that is the same thing and is legal for sale lol :p

Either way it's a vast improvement over the mandated tiny fragile nozzles. When's the last time you got pulled over by the d nozzle police?