Do you like Durian?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
tried it once and it was like eating death. couldn't get the taste out of my mouth no matter what I tried. never again. really looking to try jackfruit though - wondering if they have it in Chinatown, NYC.

They should. I know some Indian grocery stores have it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dragonfruit can also be good, but it has to be perfectly ripe. If less than ripe it's not good, and if it's too ripe it's also not good.
Dragonfruit also makes a great cat hat, though I don't think my cat appreciates it as much as I do :^D

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
tried it once and it was like eating death. couldn't get the taste out of my mouth no matter what I tried. never again. really looking to try jackfruit though - wondering if they have it in Chinatown, NYC.

Looks like I confused the Durian with a Jackfruit. :oops:

Jackfruit vs Durian: 7 Ways They Are NOT The Same

What is the difference between durian and jackfruit?

Durian

- PUNGENT
- Soft-creamy flesh
- Large spike
- Very large seed
- Complex flavour mostly sweet with acidic undertone and rounder more balance flavour
- Flesh also have more range of colur from bright gold to orange, pink, and red

Jack Fruit

- much milder smell (still very aromatic but not as strong and no smell of sulfer)
- Crisp and firm (harder than apple)
- smaller spike
- small and edible seed (boiled and salted, taste like potato)
- Sugary sweet
- Only exhibit yellow flesh

From where I live many durian shop also offer jack fruit when the former is not in season

main-qimg-0ff5f2279bb2c1603ca38404219b7de7-c

Duruan varietal

main-qimg-c14e5a55eab84b8bd83d305b6799a8f3-c

Jack Fruit, and before you ask, no, they didn't slay the giant
[\quote]

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I got one and opened her up at home. I didn't see what the big deal was and it made me think mine wasn't ripe or something. It had and interesting smell and flavor, but it didn't seem that strong one way or another. I enjoyed the fruit and I think I'll get another sometime soon.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
htf do you even confuse durian and jackfruit, one tastes like sweet meaty deliciousness, the other tastes like slimey ass after a night of IBS.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
No, but I've wanted to try it. There's a Vietnamese restaurant nearby with durian smoothies. I should try one some day.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
I tried it for the first time a few months ago. The taste is really good but it does make everything smell like farts, including your breath.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I love durian. Admittedly it's an acquired taste like sushi, black coffee, etc. If you do smoothies, have them do a mix of half durian and half avocado ...that is the bomb.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I can get Durian in lots of forms (including icecream) at a store near my home in the Netherlands. Can't get Surstromming though, that might be nice too for all the Durian-loving masochists here.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I love durian. Admittedly it's an acquired taste like sushi, black coffee, etc. If you do smoothies, have them do a mix of half durian and half avocado ...that is the bomb.
I loved sushi the first time I tried it.

I hated durian the first time I tried it.

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
I got one and opened her up at home. I didn't see what the big deal was and it made me think mine wasn't ripe or something. It had and interesting smell and flavor, but it didn't seem that strong one way or another. I enjoyed the fruit and I think I'll get another sometime soon.
You can tell if its ripe by the smell and if you touch the meat when it's hard then it's not ripped. It's ripped if its all sludgy and mushy when you touch it.
No, but I've wanted to try it. There's a Vietnamese restaurant nearby with durian smoothies. I should try one some day.
I tried Durian smoothie when I went to Bangkong couple years ago they put cocunut milk and cream on mine it taste really nice like metled ice cream :)
fried durian puff is the best

U3P4006F29952-1432959016-6f3.jpg
I tried that thing before, but not in durian form. It has Chinese pork and some other stuff in to. I had it in a Chinese restaurant. I don't know what it's called in English I call it bird nest lol
I can get Durian in lots of forms (including icecream) at a store near my home in the Netherlands. Can't get Surstromming though, that might be nice too for all the Durian-loving masochists here.
I don't think anyone likes Surstrommy smell like pure diararahaha lool. I tried it in a can form it was the foulest thing i have ever smelt and tasted -_-

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
As for durian being the blue cheese of fruit, not at all. I really like blue cheese, but hate durian.

In terms of other gross food, I think another is natto, although here it's more the texture than anything. It smells bad too, but nowhere near as bad as durian.

5378257850_9edeb3de4c_b.jpg

The texture is like beans mixed with snot.

OTOH, fresh sea cucumber if cooked properly is totally awesome, despite being similar to a giant slug.

weird-wild-eating-habits-of-california-sea-cucumbers-s2048x1395-p.jpg

The dried and then rehydrated stuff you find in Chinatown isn't very good though.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Scandinavia has got some horrendous looking food. Maybe it's because I'm from the southern US, but I was always told that the farther north you go, the worse the food gets. :p

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Scandinavia has got some horrendous looking food. Maybe it's because I'm from the southern US, but I was always told that the farther north you go, the worse the food gets. :p
I could never get myself to try fermented fish or similar stuff.

I now note that YouTube there are tons of videos showing people trying surstromming and then retching and puking.

Tormac

Feb 3, 2011
My only experience with Durian was when I needed to buy some moon cakes for the Chinese Autumn festival, and it had slipped my mind until the day of.

The Asian market near by still had some, I thought I was in luck. Until I tried one latter that night.

They looked like perfectly good moon cakes, but they tasted, well. . ., not right.

I would not say that they were terrible, but I will say at the end of the party the moon cakes that I brought were the only ones left, and I did not bother to bring them home.

cappuccino1

Aug 6, 2016
As for durian being the blue cheese of fruit, not at all. I really like blue cheese, but hate durian.

In terms of other gross food, I think another is natto, although here it's more the texture than anything. It smells bad too, but nowhere near as bad as durian.

5378257850_9edeb3de4c_b.jpg

The texture is like beans mixed with snot.

OTOH, fresh sea cucumber if cooked properly is totally awesome, despite being similar to a giant slug.

weird-wild-eating-habits-of-california-sea-cucumbers-s2048x1395-p.jpg

The dried and then rehydrated stuff you find in Chinatown isn't very good though.
I've heard of natto and its very popular in japan i never tried it and i would like to however natto dont exist in the UK as far as im concerned. also wtf is the sticky? its not the bean juice is it???? 0_0

i tried sea cucumber its nice i had it when i went to hong kong also the dried stuff is for soups not your chicken and mushroom soups the kind of soups the chinese medicine soups lol

cappuccino1

Aug 6, 2016
My only experience with Durian was when I needed to buy some moon cakes for the Chinese Autumn festival, and it had slipped my mind until the day of.

The Asian market near by still had some, I thought I was in luck. Until I tried one latter that night.

They looked like perfectly good moon cakes, but they tasted, well. . ., not right.

I would not say that they were terrible, but I will say at the end of the party the moon cakes that I brought were the only ones left, and I did not bother to bring them home.
moon cakes taste disgusting why the hell would you put a yolk inside the cake?????/ i wretched a bit when i had mooncake also its sooo greasy too its all pig lard hehehe