Do you know a web site where we can view a survey about how much people own a Athlon vs how much own a P4 ????? ::::

obiwann

Sep 22, 2001
Do you know a web site where we can view a survey about how much people own a Athlon vs how much own a P4 ?????
Or do you know these statistics ?
Iam curious, everyone in this forum seems to have an Athlon.

tanx

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Poeple who use these forums tend to be more educated about their hardware than your everyday average joe. They also probably do not have the extra money lying around to spend on P4 systems. The mind set seems pretty clear. Why buy a $500 2GHz cpu when a $100 1.4GHz cpu can perform at nearly the same level? Intel understands that the majority of the consumers out there are ignorant. They will buy the name brand whether or not it is better. Intel also understands that higher MHz/GHz sells more. You have to admit that the higher GHz does sound more impressive. Benches prove otherwise. I would bet that there are more P4 users, and that the P4 is selling better than AMD. Gateway recently dropped AMD cpus and is selling only Intel cpus in their systems, just like Dell has been doing.

The few who bother to do the research get the products they know will work for themselves. If I had the money to burn, I certainly would invest in a P4 system primarly due to the greater memory bandwidth. But I don't have cash busting the seems of my wallet, so it is AMD all the way. But come to think of it I would most likely go for a dual palo system if I had the money and wanted high performance, it wouldn't be more than a P4 system for a dual palo now that the TigerMP is here... Intel needs to drop their prices if I am to consider them as a possible option in the future.

obiwann

Sep 22, 2001
I pay this 1800$US (approx) (2700$ in canadian money)

Pentium4 - 1.7ghz
Mobo Intel D850GBC i850
1x 256 RDRAM PC800
1x 256 RDRAM PC800
Asus GeForce3 64Mb DELUXE vivo, tv out
IBM deskstar GXP 40gb 7200
SB Audigy Platinum
DVD-ROM Pioneer Slot-load 16x
Intellimouse Optical
Standard keyboard

I don't think its expansive buying a P4 system.