Do you have to solder copper wires or just twist them together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
I need to connect an electronic device (a powered USB hub) to an AC adapter. The device requires 5 volts and 2 amps and I have an AC adapter around the house that fits the bill. The only problem is that the connector (the end that connects to the device) is too big. Fortunately, I have a connector that will fit, but it's connected to a different AC adapter.

I want to connect the correct AC adapter to the correct connector, and was planning to just twist the copper wires together and then wrap with electrical tape. Would that be ok?

I guess the other thing to do is solder but I don't really want to purchase a solder kit just for this.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
That's fine. Just get the polarity and the current/voltage ratings on the adapter right.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
if you don't pull and it and move it around a lot, then non-solder is ok
if you want to make it tough enough for carrying around and jostling, then solder would be a good idea

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
depends on how durable a connection you want. if going to take a lot of stress, solder it if not twisting it will be fine. and and best twisting connection is to form 2 loops with the loops going through each other and twisting the wires back on them selves.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Soldering will probably produce a better connection, but the main arguement I've heard for this is with speaker wires and better (to audiophiles) sound quality.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I usually do both. I'll twist them so they can stay, then I apply a bit of solder. If I'm feeling very picky I'll try to "hook" them in a way so the final job is still a straight wire, no pig tailing.

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
I just twisted them together and wrapped electrical tape. I figured if that didn't work I could get more fancy, but I should start out simple. It worked like a charm! Now I'm rocking out with Rock Band :)

Status
Not open for further replies.