Do you have to register when your 18???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ylen13

Banned
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Originally posted by: Ylen13
Originally posted by: bockchow
your benifit is getting to stay in this country and not get shipped of to some 3rd world sh1t hole were nobody give a crap if you live or die. and you get the protection of or laws and goverment which are some of the few things keeping guys like FFM from kickin your pansy ass.

Correct I get no benefit by registering with selective service the only thing I get is possible obligation. As for 3rd world country, how can I be shifter there if I am us citizen?

You get a benefit. You get the benefit of not being prosecuted (which I hope you do get).

Oh, and I liked the bit about protection from guys like me kicking his pansy ass. :D

prosecuted lol, i don't think anyone have been prosecuted for not registing in the last 13 years or so

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

no one forced them to join the army, it was there personall choice

Yeah, because there was never a draft before, right? It was all volunteer....

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
Originally posted by: bockchow
your benifit is getting to stay in this country and not get shipped of to some 3rd world sh1t hole were nobody give a crap if you live or die. and you get the protection of or laws and goverment which are some of the few things keeping guys like FFM from kickin your pansy ass.

Correct I get no benefit by registering with selective service the only thing I get is possible obligation. As for 3rd world country, how can I be shifter there if I am us citizen?

You get a benefit. You get the benefit of not being prosecuted (which I hope you do get).

Oh, and I liked the bit about protection from guys like me kicking his pansy ass. :D

prosecuted lol, i don't think anyone have been prosecuted for not registing in the last 13 years or so

And that means that it will never happen, right?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I signed up online about 90 days before I turned 18 (want to be sure that I could get registered to vote when i did turn 18). If you don't register you can not (at least you aren't supposed to) get a new drivers lisence (after you turn 18), register to vote (although from the sound of you Ylen I bet you don't vote either), can get no federal student aid of any kind (can't even turn in a FAFSA), can never work for the Feds including federal contracts that require secerity clearence, and you can be put into jail for 10 years and given a $10,000 fine. Also you are supposed to (legally anyways) register 30 days before you turn 18 until 30 days after you turn 18, after that you can be prostucted.

BTW: I hate the idea of a draft, but it is one thing that is asked of me because I was a male born inside the United States. Also any true American Male between 18 and 26 would enlist if the draft was ever reinacted.

Ylen, please do us all a favour and move to France, and deny your US citizenship.

Topher

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Registering for a draft is a measly thing that we can do for our country. How many other countries have MANDATORY service requirements? France, Singapore, Israel to name a few. Putting my name on a list is piddly sh!t compared to a mandatory 2 years service. Some of us don't have the opportunity of choice if we even qualify for military service. Red-green colourblindness limits your choices drastically.

DJFuji

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: chin311
i better not get drafted, if so, Canada here i come :).

"If a man is not inclined to risk his life for his country, he should look elsewhere 'till he finds a country he will risk his life for."

-- Admiral Raymond Spruance

Davegod

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2001
You guys have to register with the government? So much for the land of the free (which is such utter nonsense anyway, you guys are meant to be the most capitialist of anywhere, is there anything free there?).

:p

edit: die for your country? No chance. I might agree to be sent to die for loved ones, or something I beleive in strongly enough, but because its tagged "for your country" no. WTH is "for your country" now anyway? Is IRAQ "for your country"? Is Afghanistan "for your country"? Or is it only when your country is truly under threat (viz., WWII etc).