Do you have to register when your 18???

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Balt
Originally posted by: Hammer
Sorry. The Social Security Account Number that you submitted for on-line verification matched more than one record in our files. We cannot verify your registration at this time. Selective Service personnel can assist you if you call (847) 688-3117.

:Q

That's shocking! They expect you to make a long distance call?!

i know. the government is a cheap bastard. :p i called and found out what it was. I had submitted an update to the SSS and they had more the one copy.

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: ClueLis
Technically, you have to register, but they can't prosecute you until you are notified first.

Beau, you should eventually get your draft card in the mail if you have registered. You'd think they would have learned from the 60s, but they still make the cards out of paper.

What's wrong with paper cards?

They're very easy to burn. :p

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Do you have to register when your 18???

In this time of people trying for equality, yes you do only if you are a male. We either need to do away with this or require everyone to do it.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: chin311
you HAVE to register right? its not an option :p?

You have 30 days from the date that you turn 18 to register for Selective Service which you are required to do. Every male should know this.
rolleye.gif

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

You have 30 days from the date that you turn 18 to register for Selective Service which you are required to do. Every male should know this.
rolleye.gif

my bad. didnt know we only had 30 days, i knew i HAD to do it, just wasnt sure if it was a REQUIREMENT type of thing.

what happens now? i registered about 90 days AFTER i turned 18, OH NOES, maybe i should hide... /runs

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Beau
i better not get drafted, if so, Canada here i come :).

:disgust: :|

The little bastard is willing to take advantage of the freedoms that this country extends to him that many others have FVCKING DIED FOR, but he's not willing to fight for them himself and put his own ass on the line!?

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|
:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

rolleye.gif

my bad. didnt know we only had 30 days, i knew i HAD to do it, just wasnt sure if it was a REQUIREMENT type of thing.

what happens now? i registered about 90 days AFTER i turned 18, OH NOES, maybe i should hide... /runs

Maybe you should read up about it before you turn 18 so you'll know what to do.
rolleye.gif
Don't run and hide like a sissy. Call the number and talk to someone. Register.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Beau

:disgust: :|

The little bastard is willing to take advantage of the freedoms that this country extends to him that many others have FVCKING DIED FOR, but he's not willing to fight for them himself and put his own ass on the line!?

Tell that to women who don't have to register at all.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
deam, cobalt, calm down there buddy. i wasnt that interested in the armed forces, so im sorry that i didnt read up on how many days/hrs/minutes i have to register after i turn 18.
rolleye.gif
, and no i dont think id ever go to war, but thats another issue ;)

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I don't expect women to register. Call me old fasioned, but if a woman chooses to join the service, that's fine. But I'm all for protecting women who are weaker then men. Face the facts: women are built differently than men. Sure they can have a baby, but their bodies are not build to handle what the male bodies are built to handle. War isn't something that I would want women to be forced into. Men, on the other hand, have a duty to protect the women.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003

Run to Canada? Why not just act like a total dumbass and semi retarded? You still have to qualify if you get drafted.

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003

Run to Canada? Why not just act like a total dumbass and semi retarded? You still have to qualify if you get drafted.

oh ok even better, i can save my gas money :p

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
deam, cobalt, calm down there buddy. i wasnt that interested in the armed forces, so im sorry that i didnt read up on how many days/hrs/minutes i have to register after i turn 18.
rolleye.gif

"damn" chin311.
rolleye.gif
It doesn't matter whether you go to war or not. These are the rules of the United States. Learn them. Live them. Love them. :) :p You knew you had to register, right? If not, I fault your education and not you. But if you knew, you should have found out all the specifics about it --if not BEFORE your birthday, then on your birthday. Sheesh. No respect these days!

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000

oh ok even better, i can save my gas money :p

You're such a punk, you know that? :| It's people like you that strike one of the biggest nerves that I have left!

:|

ARG!

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
rolleye.gif

"damn" chin311.
rolleye.gif
It doesn't matter whether you go to war or not. These are the rules of the United States. Learn them. Live them. Love them. :) :p You knew you had to register, right? If not, I fault your education and not you. But if you knew, you should have found out all the specifics about it --if not BEFORE your birthday, then on your birthday. Sheesh. No respect these days!

yup, i knew i had to register, but havent even had the time to think about it, but i guess thats my fault for having to work 40 hrs a wk and then i was in NY for 3 wks, i should have found out, its all my fault, kill me now, i am useless :(

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
rolleye.gif

"damn" chin311.
rolleye.gif

yup, i knew i had to register, but havent even had the time to think about it, but i guess thats my fault for having to work 40 hrs a wk and then i was in NY for 3 wks, i should have found out, its all my fault, kill me now, i am useless :(

There are more than 40 hours in a week. If you were born in this country, you've had 18 years to find this out. You have no excuse.

You aren't useless. You just need a decent slap in the face to wake up.s

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: yayo
Lazy Americans.. walk your azz over the office!

Stupid Canadians........expect someone to walk 12 miles when they could register from home.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I don't expect women to register. Call me old fasioned, but if a woman chooses to join the service, that's fine. But I'm all for protecting women who are weaker then men. Face the facts: women are built differently than men. Sure they can have a baby, but their bodies are not build to handle what the male bodies are built to handle. War isn't something that I would want women to be forced into. Men, on the other hand, have a duty to protect the women.

i just hope no feminist reads this...
(my us history teacher) she would KILL ya...hahahahaha

ClueLis

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2003
Originally posted by: PHiuR

Weird... Is this a common trait among female US History teachers? The one at my school is the same way.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: PHiuR

She can try. :)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
If you don't, good luck on joining the Army, and good luck finding a federal job that you don't do jack all day but sit on your ass and get fat by getting paid a fat salary job goodbye.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I think I registered later than 90 days. It wasn't I didn't want to it was just because I lost my card. I registered online and it said it was ok. I haven't gone to jail yet.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
I think I registered later than 90 days. It wasn't I didn't want to it was just because I lost my card. I registered online and it said it was ok. I haven't gone to jail yet.
Not yet?? - Heheh - look out your front window.