Do you have any Left for Dead 2 advice?

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
I always regretted not playing LFD2 when it was a hot game, last time I tried to play it it seemed completely dead. But I installed it again today and selected Realism and immediately got on a full 4 man server. I was surprised but I didn't know how to do anything, I was shooting my own player, didn't have a mic set up, didn't know how to revive or, had no clue about the map.

I guess I need to learn on single player? I imagine there is nothing but hard core people playing now or is it dead? Maybe a fluke I got someone to play with.

Is this game still worth trying to get the achievements?

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
realism probably wasn't the best choice, just play on some lower difficulties, learn the maps, and progress at your own rate.

pretty easy game to get the concept of, hard to play through on the higher difficulties though.

Homer Simpson

Oct 10, 1999
last time i tried to play it was a complete disaster. ended up with 12 year olds yelling and shouting at me cuz i was doing it wrong. now, ive played plenty of L4D back in the day and put some time into L4D2 but not a lot so after not touching it for over a year, i just didnt know the maps and all the good camping spots for infected so the fun was quickly sucked out of the game; mainly from the berating of my teammates quickly followed by their rage quits. i havent touched it since. stick to single player and learn the maps or play with friends.

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Never really had any problems playing it myself. I don't do realism though. I play regular and survival and both seem to be busy enough to me. Only real problems I have is getting a teammate or two that charges through the map as fast as they can. It is easy to do but makes for a lame game. If one does it you can just hope they get killed by a special but when two do it you pretty much have to too. Download the Helms Deep map for survival.

Nov 7, 2000
dont start with realism

stick very close to your teammates, especially until you learn the maps. this applies as infected too, you will be much more effective if your spawns and attacks are coordinated. its a good way to learn tactics and techniques as well

get a headset and use it, paying attention to audio cues is important

if you find some decent non-dbag teammates add them as friends, playing with friends reduces the likelihood of getting morons.

learn the maps! single player works well for this.

as infected, ask more experienced players where good places to set up are. getting used to the mechanics of the infected just takes time/practice.

Last edited:

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
dont start with realism

stick very close to your teammates, especially until you learn the maps

get a headset and use it, paying attention to audio cues is important

if you find some decent non-dbag teammates add them as friends, playing with friends reduces the likelihood of getting morons.

learn the maps! single player works well for this.

as infected, ask more experienced players where good places to set up are. getting used to the mechanics of the infected just takes time/practice.

This. Like all FPS games, you will suck initially. Also look up the key bindings, the controls are some of the simplest I've ever seen.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Find a couple friends to play through story mode with, it's actually got some really enjoyable scenarios especially if you've never done it before.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I always regretted not playing LFD2 when it was a hot game, last time I tried to play it it seemed completely dead. But I installed it again today and selected Realism and immediately got on a full 4 man server. I was surprised but I didn't know how to do anything, I was shooting my own player, didn't have a mic set up, didn't know how to revive or, had no clue about the map.

I guess I need to learn on single player? I imagine there is nothing but hard core people playing now or is it dead? Maybe a fluke I got someone to play with.

Is this game still worth trying to get the achievements?

To answer specifically, look into the regular campaign (multiplayer) on normal or easy difficulty. Plenty of normal people playing.

Realism is hardcore only. Versus is also hardcore only as it's competitive and people want to win. If you suck you will likely be kicked. Unfortunately it's also the only way to learn how to play infected, so you just have to suffer through it until you get decent.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Unfortunately it's also the only way to learn how to play infected, so you just have to suffer through it until you get decent.

I don't know why we don't have single player infected play or even 4 player infected co-op. I get so tired of being the humans I just want to be an infected and enjoy it with the fun of co-op and not the rush and demand of versus.