Question Do you have a separate "work" computer at home?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Do anyone of you have a separate "work" computer at home? If so, did you pay for it with your own money or did your employer provide you with one for home to work at home with?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
I paid for both my PCs with my own money, one is for gaming and work (originally for college) and the other one, which is a 6th gen i3 NUC, is stored away in the cupboard and I'm not using it and trying to sell it, but did use it for work sometimes last year though originally I did not purchase it for work purposes. I got tired of the clutter on my desk with 2 sets of keyboards and mice and swapping them around depending on if I wanted to work or play.

Last edited:

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
During the job interview, if most of your job was done from home using a computer were you asked if you had your own computer? If you said you did have your own computer, did you have to end up using your own personal computer for working at home or did the company still provide you with a "work" computer? Also if you ended up using your own personal computer for working at home, did you have to install work-related software on your own personal computer? Also if you ended up installing work-related software on your own personal computer, was it at your expense or did the company pay for it? Also did the work-related software take up resources in the background, maybe enough to interfere with gaming performance if you ended up using your personal computer for work and gaming?

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Do anyone of you have a separate "work" computer at home? If so, did you pay for it with your own money or did your employer provide you with one for home to work at home with?
Work laptop. How else am I supposed to pretend to work while nef on home computer?

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Still have to use my HDMI switch, so that's two switch boxes on my desk. Sure I could get a KVM switch but I'm hesitant to get a 1080P one since I might buy a 4k monitor in the near future and the 4k ones are expensive, especially if I buy one just so that I can use my secondary PC as a "work" computer without the clutter on my desk. Also I'm not sure if the good quality KVM switches add input lag but I heard that some KVM switches do, as I don't want additional input lag when gaming. One KVM switch I have in mind is this one:

I'm not sure if it's worth it just so I can use my secondary PC, that I also paid for out of my own pocket, as a "work" PC without the clutter on my desk.

Last edited:

Hotrod2go

Nov 17, 2021
I have separate work & game computers. Always have, always will.
Work computer = no OC
Game computer = OC
Even a 3rd desktop used infrequently as a backup.

bonehead123

Nov 6, 2013
Neva, eva, eva use your personal machine at home for work purposes......NO IF'S, ANDS, OR BUTTS.... there are sooooo many concrete reasons why that it would take me hours just to type up the list......

Look at it this way:

If your company provides the hardware for you to work in the office, it is at their expense...as well as the electricity & internet service too.

So if they want/need or allow you to WHF, then the least they can do is supply the hardware, also at their expense.....

it's bad enough that you will be taking the shaft by supplying & paying for the electricity & internet service to make THEM money, but at least you won't have to compromise, and possibly wear out, your own machine in the process...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Neva, eva, eva use your personal machine at home for work purposes......NO IF'S, ANDS, OR BUTTS.... there are sooooo many concrete reasons why that it would take me hours just to type up the list......

Look at it this way:

If your company provides the hardware for you to work in the office, it is at their expense...as well as the electricity & internet service too.

So if they want/need or allow you to WHF, then the least they can do is supply the hardware, also at their expense.....

it's bad enough that you will be taking the shaft by supplying & paying for the electricity & internet service to make THEM money, but at least you won't have to compromise, and possibly wear out, your own machine in the process...
Not even all of that. Look at the security issues...

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, I have a Home Work PC & a Home Work Laptop. Every employee gets a work laptop (currently Lenovo 11800H + 3050 or 5800H + 3060) and those who are in managment positions or senior technicians get a Desktop (5900X + 3070). They do come with security software but otherwise are unrestricted, we have sensible staff here so haven't had issues.