Do you have a memory foam mattress topper ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: tallest1
Originally posted by: Skoorb
if you sleep on your stomach and your mattress is soft it WILL increase the liklihood of lower back pain. It kills the arch of your spine by making your lower back far too concave.

I can't imagine sleeping face down on a hard mattress doing any good either....
Stomach is not good forit at all (though it's the most comfy!), but it is worse on a softer surface.

redtip

Banned
May 31, 2005
Get a really solid/hard mattress and a thin mem foam top. It cleared up mine and my wifes lower back pain .

TurtleMan

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: SagaLore
My whole matress is foam/memory foam.

Sometimes my back hurts but I think it's from sleeping on my stomach for most of the night. If I'm on my back all night, I'm fine. And it's not because of the matress, but rather the pillow.

Try a different pillow - first try a really flat one. See if that makes a difference. I use to have a viscofoam pillow on my old matress which helped my neck, but when we got the new foam matress, I couldn't use it anymore because my head was kept too high and it hurt my neck. You sink farther into a foam matress so you have to use a much shallower pillow.

Pillow wise - ya im on a memory foam pillow too, I was on a pretty darn flat pillow before, when my back hurt, i thought my spinecord is jacked, therefore I put back my memory foam and sleep on, result is the same for me...
but will try back on the flat one again to see if situation improves..

Originally posted by: jjsole
I sometimes wake with a sore lower back but that's usually because my dog has jumped up during the night and taken over the whole darn thing.

Maybe something got under my back while i was turning left n right.... but no dog, only wife would sleep in v shape and took over the whole place ...

TurtleMan

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: redtip
Get a really solid/hard mattress and a thin mem foam top. It cleared up mine and my wifes lower back pain .

Hmm, good suggestion... i was kinda on that kind setup before, but when i heard that thin memory foam topper is not as good as the thick one, thats why i switched, and the mattress under it is somewhat not as solid/hard as we had it for ten + yrs.

myusername

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2003
Had a mattress that was crapping out and giving me bad lower back pain. Tossed a Sensus on top of it and back pain went away. Sensus is definitely not as good now as it was new 2 years ago, but no pain yet. If you are getting back pain, either your foam is crapping out or the underlying mattress has gone bad.

I've also had some of the most comfortable sleep ever on a extra firm (but high quality) traditional mattress with no foam. Those mattresses are good for sleeping, but not good if you want to prop yourself up on one arm and read a book (which the foam is great for - you can go hours without having your elbow hurt or arm go numb).

If I was wealthy and owned a house, I'd purchase a high quality extra firm mattress. Foam is almost as comfy (with benefit mentioned above), cheaper, and more portable for when it's time to find another apt.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
I have one, we love it, neither of us have back pain.
We are a little over 30.

TurtleMan

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: myusername
Had a mattress that was crapping out and giving me bad lower back pain. Tossed a Sensus on top of it and back pain went away. Sensus is definitely not as good now as it was new 2 years ago, but no pain yet. If you are getting back pain, either your foam is crapping out or the underlying mattress has gone bad.

I've also had some of the most comfortable sleep ever on a extra firm (but high quality) traditional mattress with no foam. Those mattresses are good for sleeping, but not good if you want to prop yourself up on one arm and read a book (which the foam is great for - you can go hours without having your elbow hurt or arm go numb).

If I was wealthy and owned a house, I'd purchase a high quality extra firm mattress. Foam is almost as comfy (with benefit mentioned above), cheaper, and more portable for when it's time to find another apt.

i rotate my foam back and forth all the time, when it turn yellow, i turn to the other side, then couple months later, i would do it again, i think that way it wear out the foam evenly... not sure, but the elastic still there, just check it today, but heck, i ain't no memory foam expert, as long as i put my hand down and it makes a shape, then I suppose itis still good :p