Do you have a grill?

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
I've never had a grill, wondering how many people do and what type of grill. I'm wondering whether I should get one of those small in-home GForemans... kinda bored of using the microwave and too lazy to use an oven.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Grill as in barbecue or grill as in Georgie boy? We have a George Foreman, and it kinda sucks. Tried to do steaks and the fat cutting action killed it. Works great for salmon/trout though.

L

Lola

we have a BBQ Grill/smoker. we love it... actually, it is the husband that does 99% of the grilling/bbqing/smoking and it literally has made us "elitists" in certain aspects. For instance, no ones steaks are as good as the ones he makes. same with bbq'd ribs and pulled pork.
In MI, each summer is hit and miss with good weather, but this year we have been lucky. usually we use it at least once a week for something. Most recently it was for a 14 hr smoked/bbq'd porknbutt.

Rip the Jacker

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Imp
Grill as in barbecue or grill as in Georgie boy? We have a George Foreman, and it kinda sucks. Tried to do steaks and the fat cutting action killed it. Works great for salmon/trout though.

Either.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Foreman grill is decent for burgers and sausages and such during winter, but nothing beats a charcoal grill for outdoor cooking the rest of the year.

:thumbsdown: Propane

minendo

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2001
I've got a charcoal and a propane grill. George Foremans do not count as a grill.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I have a weber charcoal grill. Wouldn't have it any other way. Propane is for the time deprived and tastes nowhere near as good. :)

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Propane rocks.

Its the only way to have a grilling lifestyle. Charcoal is for weekend warriors at best imo, because of the extra time and work involved in the whole process. Certainly nothing wrong with the end product of charcoal grilling, if they know what they're doing regarding temps and hotspots etc., but gas provides the convenience for grilling 3-4 days out of the week...and the flavors are always outstanding.

Like Lolawiz says, it can make a person elitist, since restaurant food rarely tastes nearly as good as grilled food, while saving a lot of money cooking at home as well.

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
If you want something for inside get an electric grill. Target sells one for cheap. Easy to use and quick to clean.

I do have a propane grill, and will go through spurts of using it every couple days to not using it for a couple months... mainly because I hate looking at my neighbors backyard - it's full of trash and junk.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Got a Weber Platinum D6 and I absolutely love it! Cooks just as well if not better than charcoal.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: jjsoleCharcoal is for weekend warriors at best imo, because of the extra time and work involved in the whole process. Certainly nothing wrong with the end product of charcoal grilling, if they know what they're doing regarding temps and hotspots etc., but gas provides the convenience for grilling 3-4 days out of the week...and the flavors are always outstanding.

Extra time and work? Takes me less than a minute to prepare and light it. It heats up while I am preparing the food. I bbq on business days more frequently than weekends.

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I got a weber gas grill about 6 years ago. Started to fall apart around 2 years ago. I need a new grill. I was hoping Home Depot would clearence them at the end of the summer.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Propane is excellent if you know what the hell you're doing. If you can't get great flavor out of a propane grill you're not competent to be grilling in the first place. I can have a batch of perfect, juicy and flavorful steaks done while the charcoal guys are still getting the coals started. I've got a small, simple and inexpensive Weber that's been going strong for about 8 years now.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Got a propane smoker and a homemade grill 28" x 5' I took a 55 gallon steel drum and cut it in half and then riveted angle iron all the way around the edge with the two open ends hinged together sitting atop an adjustable height 'X' frame of angle iron painted black with high temp engine paint. Works like a champ and roasted a whole pig on it last time I went camping.

Vonkhan

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Yup, even tho having one in NYC is kinda hard I always made sure that my apartments had either an accessable backyard or rooftop

During winter, switch to a hibachi

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Couldn't live without a good BBQ. Our Weber Gold is the best one we've ever owned. We use ours so much, that the cheapo's sold at Sears and many other places only last 2-3 years, but the Weber is 4 years old and still going strong. I'll probably have to replace the "flavorizer bars" next year, but they're fairly cheap.

Edit...sorry, forgot to mention, that Weber is propane...no messy charcoal for me:p

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
We just got a Weber Spirit E-310 this spring, and it is great. This is the first decent grill I've owned - avoid the crappy cheapo grills that have wildly uneven heat and major flareup problems. We've been using it all summer for burgers, chicken, steaks and corn. Tasty!

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Dude, an outdoor gas fired grill is the easiest way to make good food, fast. I hate cooking. Foreman grill doesn't compare, and "grilling" in a skillet is a waste of time. Almost anything you throw on a real grill comes out tasting alot better with minimal preparation and skill.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
we have a smokey joe 14.5 inch grill. got that when it was just me.
1 classic 18.5
2 of the bigger 22.5.

we are planning on getting one of the bigger nicer grills when the deck is done.

MaxPowerS88

Aug 4, 2007
I had a charcoal and a gas grill, the charcoal tasted moderately better but not enough to justify how much more work it is, or how much longer it takes. Its nice for "social" events though.