• Yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No

Votes: 26 83.9%

• Total voters

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
It just dawned on me that a long time good friend of mine was from this site, unbelievable. It doesn't even feel like it today. We've gone to trips. Our kids & wives met. I was his engagement photogrpher, etc.

It's been now more decade too. It doesn't even feel like we met via a website, more like went to school together or work. We started to chat on IM. I think we mainly talked about career and how to advance. Then he happened to be in town for work and we hung out. Then it just became 'natural' visiting each other.

Insane.

Anyone else? Let's make it a poll actually - it may be educational.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
I have no idea. Never really thought about it.

There was a dude I worked with a few years ago. We were (still are) on the TLB forums once in a while

Anyhow, we got on TS one day playing some BF42 and I was like 'dang Blotto, that sounds just like so-and-so'

Turns out, it actually was. The guy was in my dept and we worked together day-to-day lol. Funny how we both found some group, joined up, and hung out not even knowing who the other was IRL

Anyhow, I dont think I've ever met anyone from AT IRL. Just dont know for sure

Edit: Almost forgot. Some dude wanted some stuff I had to give away, but basically wanted me to deliver it to him, he lived (still lives?) here near Raleigh.

........some Asian name........like a Japanese Admiral from WWII. Anyhow, it had already gotten picked up by the time I had replied.......

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
For what fellow ATOTers and I have done together , they don't hang you anymore ... Electroshock Therapy maybe :)

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I think too many people on here are sex predators in real life. It's much safer to communicate with fiber optics buffering the connection.

Reactions: r4sh1d

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I think too many people on here are sex predators in real life. It's much safer to communicate with fiber optics buffering the connection.

raj1jce33hdgm2rxfmuj02hqq7r5nk1

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
A handful. Probably half of my college class (small group) was on here at some point (which is how I learned about the forums), plus some others along the way. Maybe three or four are still active? Not so much in OT tho.

Aside from filling a social need for introverts, this forum provided technical discussions that I couldn't get outside of school with other IT-minded people. Larger companies tend to have this in meatspace because you can bounce ideas off each other & ask more experienced people for help, especially since there's just a lot of tribal knowledge out there.

It's funny reading my old posts here, whether it's in networking or H&F. I constantly have no idea what I'm doing lol.

Reactions: Thebobo

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
The only time I hung out with people from AT was when we did that NYC meet like 15 years ago.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Many moons ago I went to a couple of ATOT meets, but, I live out in the far suburbia, and most of the other Chitown folks like in the city, or hang out in the city ... I am unwilling to drive the 2+ hours into the city center, or drive to the train and then take a train to the el so I can get wherever in the city. So, no, don't really hang.

Otherwise, my bro, bro in law, and a couple of friends have used FS/FT forums over the years, or hot deals, but, they really never came over to ATOT.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
no but i'd want to. can't really relate to most non-AT people who can't into science.

doesn't help that i live across the ocean.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
I would feel out of place amongst the millionaires with their fancy import sports cars and fashion model wives.

Reactions: Captante

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Hell no. I remember BBS meetups in the 80s and early 90s. I never want to see/meet internet peeps ever again. Ah, Chat Chalet days.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I keep a couple of the members "hanging around".

I'll bet you do! :D

I have a couple folks I was friends with before they joined that I see on a regular basis and over the years have met up with a few more through FS/FT but otherwise no.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't know anyone here IRL but I did meet olds once. He showed me around the house, gave me free alcohol, I remember going in the rec room and then don't remember anything after that.

Reactions: brianmanahan

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
No. Well, I do know a member here but he's my brother so it don't count.

The only other closest person would be herm0016 who went to Michigan Tech if I'm not mistaken, but he graduated a few years after me and I don't know him beyond that.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
there's one guy i hang out with in texas. since texas is a bigass state, he's pretty far away so we don't hang out too often.

when I lived in the DC area, I met a bunch of people in DC/NOVA. Still keep in touch with a few of them to this day.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I've never met an ATOTer. It would be weird to think of you all in the context of being actual people rather than bots of varying quality.