Do you guys think one of those 'elite' Xbox controllers is worth it for PC games?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'll need to confirm it even works, but very likely does. I've picked up too many gamepads for PC and never used them, always KB/M, but that 'elite' controller - it costs nearly $200 normally (Saw a sale on a hard to find one for $111...) Probably a bit much for a little used device, but... presumably there's something about it to justify people spending that.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Nah, pick up a regular Xbox controller or even scrounge around for the old cheap wired Xbox 360 controllers and they do the trick.

My understanding is the elite controllers have some extra paddles and crap built into them most games aren't made to really utilise, but you're not really missing anything by not having them.

Lots of stuff is offered used for outlandish prices either because the seller does not know the true value of the item they're selling, they're trying to make up for some loss/need money, or the item has some unique collectors status that boosts it's value.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Nah, pick up a regular Xbox controller or even scrounge around for the old cheap wired Xbox 360 controllers and they do the trick.

My understanding is the elite controllers have some extra paddles and crap built into them most games aren't made to really utilise, but you're not really missing anything by not having them.

Lots of stuff is offered used for outlandish prices either because the seller does not know the true value of the item they're selling, they're trying to make up for some loss/need money, or the item has some unique collectors status that boosts it's value.

Thanks. No need then. I bought a few old xbox controllers and even know where one is. I also have an old Razer Hydra - looked on Amazon and they're starting at $130... guess they're 'collector's' now.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I like my xb1 a little better than the 360 that I have. Probably worth it since that's the controller current schemes are mapped to as well. Though I would have stuck with the 360 had my rift not come with one anyways.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I love my elite controller. I also love my one s BT controller.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I've a pair of the Elites and they're great game pads but one's grip material is actually starting to come off... not real thrilled about that. Hopefully I can fix it but other than that they've got good build quality and weight. Very comfortable and the joystick knobs don't pop off easily. Additional triggers and knobs are cool I guess but don't really justify the price; at least they come with cases. Bough a couple rechargeable battery packs for them that just pop in, no big complaints really.

I did have some initial driver issues on Windows 10 but it was nothing major. I wish they had the same connectivity as the S game pads so I could use them wirelessly with Steam Link but not a deal-breaker.

Also, Steam controller is like 15 bucks on the store right now, with shipping. Grabbed one for the hell of it just to see how it stacked up against the Elite controller.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Also, Steam controller is like 15 bucks on the store right now, with shipping. Grabbed one for the hell of it just to see how it stacked up against the Elite controller.

It was $5, but sold out when I saw it Friday.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I use a pair of 360 controllers, don't see any reason to use anything different.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The XBone Elite controller is the best controller I have ever used. Significantly better than a 360 controller. The Elite is better than the regular XBone controller, but not worth the extra money for everybody. I for instance, use a regular XBone controller, not an Elite.

I REALLY dislike the steam controller. Just not a nice gaming experience with it.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I just use an Afterglow wired 360 controller. They're around $20 at most Targets and they work great. Only issue is the buttons are made of cheap plastic, so about once a year you can take them apart and clean all the excess dust/scrape marks off the outer shell of the buttons (where it depresses into the controller) and it plays like brand new. Plus they come in different colors if that's your thing.

I was using my original wired 360 controllers but I kept having issues with MS Essentials not recognizing the controller being plugged in. Not sure why, but apparently the knock off brands have no issues.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I use a Xbox Wireless Gamepad, it pairs up nicely with windows 10, pairs up well in windows, and most games have native support for it as well.
I Also have a steam controller which i got on sale this black friday for 5 dollars, but just from inspecting it and picking it up, the Xbox controller is so worth its price if your going to use a game pad a lot.

Just get the Xbox Wireless controller for the Xbox One X, pair it up with bluetooth, and don't look back.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm going to ask a question I've had for a while in this thread: Can multiple Xbox One S controllers link up to one PC using Bluetooth? Is it one controller to device or do you notice a significant degradation in performance with multiple devices linked up?

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm going to ask a question I've had for a while in this thread: Can multiple Xbox One S controllers link up to one PC using Bluetooth? Is it one controller to device or do you notice a significant degradation in performance with multiple devices linked up?

i heard that can handle 8 devices at single connection.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

i heard that can handle 8 devices at single connection.

- Was hoping to avoid yet another dongle. My laptop (where most of my co-op gaming happens) has a built in BT adaptors, so I was hoping to leverage that.

Is know BT adaptors can pair with up to 7 devices simultaneously and I'm sure that is how Sony's wireless controllers work, so I figure it would be the same with Xbox controllers on the PC. Would be nice to get some confirmation from someone who'se already done it though

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i would help you out if i could.

I do know it would NOT work with PS3 controllers.
Infact i had hell connecting and being compatiable with PS controllers hence why i went the XBOX route.
Logitech would be a second choice after steam and xbox.

But hands down by far, XBOX makes the best controllers.
I just like PS3, as i grew up with playstation, but again compatability vs xbox in pc games is very dismal.