Do you guys smoke weed?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Never done any drugs beyond alcohol and adrenalin. Life has been good enough without intoxication.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I haven't smoked anything BUT dabs in over a year, once you have a nice rig and such, and as along as you can find wax/shatter/etc regularly, then dabbing is the way to go, and cheaper in the long run.

Also, from my experiences the panic feeling and heart racing only comes when you think about it. If you go into the experience with a good mindset and are just thinking normal things, you'll be fine. The problem is for a first time smoker your expectations of what pot does is so skewed by the media that your mind EXPECTS a lot more than weed actually does, and your mind basically THINKS it should be freaking out because of "OMG DRUGS" but weed is so benign its mostly a mental thing, not a weed thing. In reality weed is a LOT less than what the media implies it would be, the high isn't as debilitating as getting drunk (assuming you aren't trying to smoke it like its tobacco with HUGE puffs) and if you're in a nice comfortable environment with food and a friend to watch you, you should be able to just relax and enjoy music, food, TV, or just some banter with your friends.

Also, don't smoke alone if its your first time or you're inexperienced, that's just asking for a bad time.

this is all true if you don't try to bite off more than you can handle. do something stupid and you're going to be in for bad times.

of course, the exact same thing can be said of alcohol.

May 11, 2008
I haven't smoked anything BUT dabs in over a year, once you have a nice rig and such, and as along as you can find wax/shatter/etc regularly, then dabbing is the way to go, and cheaper in the long run.

Also, from my experiences the panic feeling and heart racing only comes when you think about it. If you go into the experience with a good mindset and are just thinking normal things, you'll be fine. The problem is for a first time smoker your expectations of what pot does is so skewed by the media that your mind EXPECTS a lot more than weed actually does, and your mind basically THINKS it should be freaking out because of "OMG DRUGS" but weed is so benign its mostly a mental thing, not a weed thing. In reality weed is a LOT less than what the media implies it would be, the high isn't as debilitating as getting drunk (assuming you aren't trying to smoke it like its tobacco with HUGE puffs) and if you're in a nice comfortable environment with food and a friend to watch you, you should be able to just relax and enjoy music, food, TV, or just some banter with your friends.

Also, don't smoke alone if its your first time or you're inexperienced, that's just asking for a bad time.

This is true. But it is also the case, that the amount of THC and other cannabinoids inside the weed has increased when comparing with weed a decade ago. Also, some people who grow plants, use all kinds of chemicals in attempts to grow the plants faster that may end up in the weed and cause the nasty side effects when smoking.

Indeed, having a spliff and taking 1or 2 small puffs once every few minutes is the way to have a nice and relaxed smoke. Best is if everybody has his or hers own spliff, so you can do it in your own tempo and not get rushed or forced. Rushed or forced, that is not the way.
I have seen people smoking in coffeeshops in Amsterdam, i would never do that( I do not smoke anyway anymore). That they take a huge glass pipe (atomic bong) that looks more like a bottle. And they put for say 5 to 10 euro of pure weed on it. Light it up and inhale it all in one go. I looked at one of those guys, and let me tell you, it looked like every time he would drop of his chair on the floor.

Last edited:

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I would if it were legal, although not to the extent that I did in my early 20's stoner days.

my one hookup moved out of state, though, and I never cared enough to find a new one.

Feb 4, 2009
Never done any drugs beyond alcohol and adrenalin. Life has been good enough without intoxication.

really? You never met some girls at the beach or gone camping somewhere and some girls showed up and someone had something to smoke?
Those were good times I had but as I said its a very, very narrow window. Even back then I found it odd when someone over 30 smoked weed or someone still in High school smoked weed.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
I imagine like many people here, I am subject to a random drug test at any time by my employer. In reality the only time I would be tested is if I have a work related injury. Still, it just isn't worth the risk.

Oct 9, 1999
I just think it's funny for people that are totally against marijuana when they have no problem drinking alcohol which is a million times worse health wise. You don't hear about someone beating up someone else because they smoked weed. They just get tired and hungry.

or cheeseburgers, or caffience, etc. people are just really stupid unfortunately. they either did it one time and freaked out then formed their opinion or know nothing about it most of the time. drugs are a part of civilization and have been forever.

enjoy responsibly is how i live my life. the others saying life is fun enough, LOL. give me a guitar after influence of MJ and see what happens. the creative juices flow and i can make some magical sounds.

besides, throw away all your CD's, mp3s, cassettes, 8-tracks etc because most of the musicians out there were heavily influenced by drugs:eek:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
No. Had friends that did, they offered, but I declined. My drug is music. Well, listening to said music. I can't play a damn thing.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
but let me warn ya, they say its not addicting, but i call BS to that.
You get mentally addicted to it, which is addiction.

I think that's called 'enjoying' something. But yes.. it's a level of addiction that people often confuse with chemical dependence. Same thing with WOW addicts, surfing addicts, etc.

If you really like doing something, you'll want to keep doing it.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
The problem with this discussion is it's actually very generalized.

There's a lot of variety in cannabis. Various strands, potency, growing methods, etc.

Using the word 'pot' to describe what you're using is almost like using 'fruit' to describe what you're eating.

Ex. If I say 'I don't like fruit, it's too sour', it really needs more information. Was it an apple? A pear? What kind of apple? What season? Where was it grown?

There's so many varieties to cannabis that bring a wide array of effects that it's really difficult to afix any kind of anecdotal experience to 'pot'.

A high cbd sativa will improve your golf game.. while a high thc indica will make it hard to hit the ball. There's a valley of experiences in between that are highly dependent on what specific kind of cannabis you use.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
A high cbd sativa will improve your golf game.. while a high thc indica will make it hard to hit the ball. There's a valley of experiences in between that are highly dependent on what specific kind of cannabis you use.

i don't think it really matters when you're a noob, too much of either and it'll still knock you on your ass. most people also are not lucky enough to have the wide variety of purchase options that MMJ/Legal MJ states have.