Do you guys smoke weed?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i use to, I had a medical prescription for it to help with insomnia.

it worked great, until the stuff just started to get stronger and stronger, and now it kicks up an anxiety attack if i smoke too much, so i quit, and haven't touched it for a couple of years now.

but let me warn ya, they say its not addicting, but i call BS to that.
You get mentally addicted to it, which is addiction.

Albet its not as bad as a physical addiction like cigarettes, and alcohol, but its still an addiction where u suffer from withdraws.

homebrew2ny

Jan 3, 2013
Not anymore now that I am an adult with responsibility. But there was a time that I loved my weed...

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
I used to all the time, for a good 6 months nearly every day, but have only smoked on occasion for the last 4-5 years. I don't tend to like myself much when I get high, I get *really* fucking stupid and *really* goofy.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Not any more but I used to on a daily basis. Last time I smoked I just didn't like the way it made me feel so I stopped.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Yes, I do. Usually a bowl after work to wind down. Prefer it to drinking actually.
Pass that icky sticky.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I did as a late teen/early 20's but then I grew up. It's fine and has it's medical uses but to smoke to just get high is a typical immature thing for young adults or teens but for older adults it shows a need or selfish desire to have a crutch because they can't handle life or never learned how to enjoy life without being all fucked up all the time.
It's like having a 6 yr old kid running circles around you. it's acceptable because of their age, but a 30+ yr old grown adult running circles around you and you realize they are immature, retarded...whatever.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
My 16 year old son does and it's pissing me off.

I waited until I was 18 and done with high school before I started smoking pot.

The main thing i'd be concerned about at 16 is the people who he has to go to in order to buy the stuff. Most high school drug dealers also have connections to other drugs and have no problems trying to push adderall and similar things.

I've found that now at almost 23 years old it's a lot easier to find a late 20's or mid 30s dealer who ONLY sells pot. These are the guys I like to buy from, they also give you the best deals.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
My 16 year old son does and it's pissing me off.

Tell him he has 2 choices. Rehab or you dump a bowl of oatmeal on his head at random times of the day or night.

You gotta give the guy choices. Lets him know he runs his own life. He might not like those choices much, but that's entirely the point.

Last edited:

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Got some Gorilla Glue #4 today, JEBUS why does weed need to be this strong? Not complaining, just impressed at what science + growing has accomplished.

yh125d

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2006
i use to, I had a medical prescription for it to help with insomnia.

it worked great, until the stuff just started to get stronger and stronger, and now it kicks up an anxiety attack if i smoke too much, so i quit, and haven't touched it for a couple of years now.

but let me warn ya, they say its not addicting, but i call BS to that.
You get mentally addicted to it, which is addiction.

Albet its not as bad as a physical addiction like cigarettes, and alcohol, but its still an addiction where u suffer from withdraws.

In my personal experience, there is nothing addicting about it, except that some people like it. When you like something, you don't want to stop doing that thing.

I smoked most days for 6 or 8 months, then immediately stopped one day cold turkey, and had nothing that I could possibly describe as withdrawal type symptoms. I just wished that I didn't have to quit smoking weed. To me that does not qualify as addicting, especially with what most people tend to think about anything that would be described as addicting. To describe it as (even a significantly less serious) form of addiction is a misnomer to me.

All that said I know it affects different people wildly differently, and maybe some do experience actual withdrawal symptoms, and I'm just a lucky one that doesn't.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
No..but if you have to use it smoking it is as bad as cigarettes. Vap is the best alternative.

Cannabis smoke contains many of the same carcinogens as tobacco smoke, including greater concentrations of certain aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzopyrene, prompting fears that chronic marijuana inhalation may be a risk factor for tobacco-use related cancers.

http://norml.org/component/zoo/category/cannabis-smoke-and-cancer-assessing-the-risk

However, certain cellular abnormalities in the lungs have been identified more frequently in long-term smokers of cannabis compared to non-smokers. Chronic exposure to cannabis smoke has also been associated with the development of pre-cancerous changes in bronchial and epithelium cells in similar rates to tobacco smokers.

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee therrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre yetttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
not after waking up, at least a little bit...

on weed you may perceive ...."WOAH SOME PROFOUND INSIGHT",
(e.g.;the style iof that car body says a lot about the mindset of the guy driving it, or whatever...)

and then you see how saints with TRUE spiritual insight which was derived from years and years of deepest true spiritual meditation and prayer have openly stated:

the "insights" of hemp smokers are pure delusion.

Ramakrishna said something like that, as did lots of other profoundly insightful souls.

Weed is merely a bringer of DELUSION. It merely temporarily alters connections in brain synapses. The "INSIGHTS" it gives are DELUSION DELUSION DELUSION

Are you LAZY or something??? The REAL WORK of life is to MEDITATE - attune and exemplify GOD!
(True meditation, and please not idiotic pop "guided imagery" buffonery which has zero relationship to true spiritual mediation. The gigantic whales in the sea with their gigantic brains are meditating on GOD)

Marijuana has zero relationship with TRUE insights it's a delusion delusion delusion.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
not after waking up, at least a little bit...

on weed you may perceive ...."WOAH SOME PROFOUND INSIGHT",
(e.g.;the style iof that car body says a lot about the mindset of the guy driving it, or whatever...)

and then you see how saints with TRUE spiritual insight which was derived from years and years of deepest true spiritual meditation and prayer have openly stated:

the "insights" of hemp smokers are pure delusion.

Ramakrishna said something like that, as did lots of other profoundly insightful souls.

Weed is merely a bringer of DELUSION. It merely temporarily alters connections in brain synapses. The "INSIGHTS" it gives are DELUSION DELUSION DELUSION

Are you LAZY or something??? The REAL WORK of life is to MEDITATE - attune and exemplify GOD!
(True meditation, and please not idiotic pop "guided imagery" buffonery which has zero relationship to true spiritual mediation. The gigantic whales in the sea with their gigantic brains are meditating on GOD)

Marijuana has zero relationship with TRUE insights it's a delusion delusion delusion.

Wow, we've got a live one here folks.

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
Wow, we've got a live one here folks.

ahhh haaa here's your lazy observer-critic...

makes a put-down pot shot while (pathetically) adding nothing.

An observer-critic fails. ALWAYS. (Remember that because it will help you in other contexts)

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
ahhh haaa here's your lazy observer-critic...

makes a put-down pot shot while (pathetically) adding nothing.

An observer-critic fails. ALWAYS. (Remember that because it will help you in other contexts)

Instead of throwing temper tantrums at your critics, shouldn't you be emulating whales and meditating right about now?