Do you guys like using ID3 tags in your MP3's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: HonkeyDonk
Originally posted by: LeetViet
I delete all the ID3 tags and rename the file.

same here.

why the fvck would you delte the tags if they are already there and correct?

Because when you search for a song on your computer, you'd rather not have a bunch that say "Untitled 01" or something dumb like that?

And if the filename is correct as well, in the case of a rename I'd rather rename just the file instead of having to rename the file and then renaming the tag to match.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Originally posted by: merlocka
Originally posted by: MAME
tags are stupid

I like to name the files correctly and leave it at that

many mp3 players suck unless you have them tagged

My computer is all the mp3 player I'll ever need :)

MrScott81

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
you need em. unless you only have a few mp3s...

stuff like itunes let you navigate by that info. pull up genres, etc

why would you do that? seems like a waste of time to go out and delete the tags.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

same here.

Because when you search for a song on your computer, you'd rather not have a bunch that say "Untitled 01" or something dumb like that?

And if the filename is correct as well, in the case of a rename I'd rather rename just the file instead of having to rename the file and then renaming the tag to match.
1) Every ripping program worth its salt will auto name the file and populate the tags from CDDB data.
2) ID3 tags are extremely useful as they allow portable music players, jukebox programs, etc to treat your music collection as a database with sorting by artists, albums, genres, years, etc.

never used to use them either...but they make life much easier with the alpine mp3 deck in the car

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Originally posted by: werk

same here.

1) Every ripping program worth its salt will auto name the file and populate the tags from CDDB data.
2) ID3 tags are extremely useful as they allow portable music players, jukebox programs, etc to treat your music collection as a database with sorting by artists, albums, genres, years, etc.

Damnit you said what I was going to say werk. Just about any CD ripping program I've used does it automatically this includes iTunes, Nero, EAC and a few others. If it can't do something simple like ID3 tagging and naming the file after the artist & song then it's not worth a pile of dog crap. Only people I can think of that might not use ID3 tags are folks that *cough*share*cough* their files.

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003

same here.

Ah, see I don't 1) rip music or 2) use anything besides winamp to play my music.
I guess different needs for different people, enjoi!

MAME

Banned
Sep 19, 2003

same here.

Ah, see I don't 1) rip music or 2) use anything besides winamp to play my music.
I guess different needs for different people, enjoi!

NewSc2

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Why would you not tag them? All my filenames are Artist - Track # - Song Title, and sorted by Artist - Album folders, but I still keep the whole ID3 tags on them so I can scroll through songs by album on my iPod.

dc

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 1999
CDDB = teh suck for the music i listen to.
and i'm too lazy to manually add id3 tags to many gigs of mp3s. heh.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: aves2k
Definitely need tags.

Yup me too...and I have the filenames set out as Artist - Title (Version).mp3 and a folder for each letter of the alphabet....damn ain't I organised.