Do you guys do most of your reading on a smartphone?

kyrax12

Platinum Member
May 21, 2010
I been doing a lot of reading on my Galaxy S4 and I feel like even the screen is a bit too small.

I been wanting a good ergonomic device (A device I can control with one hand) and huge screen estate.

I have to wait until late 2015 to upgrade due to me being in a two year contract.

Well anyways, do you guys do a lot of reading on your phones? If so, what phone do you have and are you comfortable reading on it?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I do 90% of my reading on my phone, note 3 and note 4. Tons of books on Kindle and Google. I find I can read better on my smartphone than a book.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
It "works", but I'd certainly never do it as a primary reading device. No matter how large the screen is, it'll still be easier to read on a device without an LCD screen.

Kindles are so cheap now-a-days, that why not just throw an e-reader in your bag for real reading?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I could on my Note4, but I just run my Kindle app on my rooted HD+. I basically do all my reading on that.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It depends on what you define as reading.

If it's reading articles, then it's on my computer (I work from home, so I have that luxury during breaks). But books? Yep, it's actually on my phone. I tend to read when I'm on airplanes, and my smartphone is more convenient for that than anything else. Don't have to worry about the person in the seat ahead of me knocking my device when they lean back!

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I hope you're using white text on black background. Best way to read on AMOLED.

I mostly use my S4, but I switch to my tablet when I have the room/time.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Most of my reading is internet, but I do a lot of it on my phone. I like it as well as my tablet, which is to say, not as good as paper, but I appreciate the convenience, and lack of space digital books take. Galaxy S5 & fbreader.

jav3

Jun 18, 2001
I browse the web when I travel on my Note 2 but reading (like when I'm on a plane) is on a table. Had a 1st gen Nexus 7 and replaced that with a Venue 8 Pro. I much prefer to read for longer periods on the table. Plus I can 1-hand that.

npaladin-2000

May 11, 2012
I find a 5.2 inch screen to be the best balance for reading, though anything from 5" to 5.5" works pretty well.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
For what I think of as reading, I still use paper.

But don't even do that too much these days, the internet seems more like browsing all over.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
white (light grey actually) on black with my GS4's AMOLED screen is great for reading in the dark. Minimal light for just the text.

Karl Agathon

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2010
Did some reading on my GS3, but the screen was just to small for any sustained reading. Got a Note 4 recently, and now its an entirely new ballgame for me.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
For entertainment books, yes I read all of them on my phone (5.5" Note 2). I think for most paperbacks, my screen is as big as the printed part of the pages. Wouldn't mind a 5.7" Note 3 for a little bit bigger size though.

For PDF viewing (technical books), only use those on my PC.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I been doing a lot of reading on my Galaxy S4 and I feel like even the screen is a bit too small.

I been wanting a good ergonomic device (A device I can control with one hand) and huge screen estate.

I have to wait until late 2015 to upgrade due to me being in a two year contract.

Well anyways, do you guys do a lot of reading on your phones? If so, what phone do you have and are you comfortable reading on it?

i do more on the turbo i have now, with a 5.2" screen ,than i did the motox 2013 i had. its just big enough to be comfortable reading. id rather use my tablet, which is 10", but then...id also rather have an 8" tablet, im just not going to buy one right now.

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

I do a fair amount of reading on my Galaxy Note 4 when I am out and about, lots of posting to forums and updates to social media. When I am at home though I generally switch to a tablet or my laptop.

Btw, screen on the Note 4 is jaw dropping! &#128515;

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I do some reading on my Note 3 when its all I have with me. I do a tremendous amount of reading on my Note 12.2. Screen is so big that in landscape a two page spread is perfect.

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
Nope, I use my Nexus 7. Perfect size for reading, and not too small for occasional web browsing or games. I keep a couple of books on my phone (SG4), just in case, but rarely do I use it.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Read reading? Like, books? No way, I read either real books or my Kindle for that. Phone screens just can't compete.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Recently most readings have been on my Note 8, but there was a time when I read full novels on my Nokia E51, and I was fine with it (so you don't have to look it up, it has a 2" screen). The books are synced to my computer through Mobipocket.

DistantShadow

Dec 22, 2014
No way man, it is not good for your eyes for one. If you constantly read on a phone or tablet, you may have a hard time sleeping at night.

tsupersonic

Nov 11, 2013
Browsing the internet? Yes, I use my phone or tablet -> iPhone/iPad/Nexus 7
Reading a book? No, e-Ink is much more friendly on the eyes -> Kindle
Magazine? Need a full color screen -> iPad/Nexus 7

ralfy

Jul 22, 2013
Mostly books, but I use a PC when I need to access the web or if I don't want to print out documents, a tablet if I don't have access to a PC, and a phone when I don't have a tablet available.