Do you find Mormonism to be less authentic than other major religions?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: feralkid
Originally posted by: edro
The three major religions, Christianity, Judaism, Islam,

Stop right there.

Here it is, by the numbers:

1. Christianity: 2.1 billion
2. Islam: 1.5 billion
3. Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion
4. Hinduism: 900 million
5. Chinese traditional religion: 394 million
6. Buddhism: 376 million
7. primal-indigenous: 300 million
8. African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million
9. Sikhism: 23 million
10. Juche: 19 million
11. Spiritism: 15 million
12. Judaism: 14 million
13. Baha'i: 7 million
14. Jainism: 4.2 million
15. Shinto: 4 million
16. Cao Dai: 4 million
17. Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million
18. Tenrikyo: 2 million
19. Neo-Paganism: 1 million
20. Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand
21. Rastafarianism: 600 thousand
22. Scientology: 500 thousand

Mormans are Christians.

sign me up for Neo Paganism, plz.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
It doesn't really seem that much wackier than most other religions to me, regardless of age. Genuine Mormons are usually really nice folks, too.

Originally posted by: thespeakerbox
Mormon arent accepted as Christians because they are not. They are mormons.

They believe Jesus was the son of God. Close enough for me.

yeah. other Christians don't believe they are, stfw? Mormons, consider themselves Christians, and the tenets of their faith subscribes to those of Christianity. Their sect is no less Christian than the two major ones that have survived (Roman Catholic and Protestant/Lutheran).

Hell, Mormonism probably isn't as loony as many of the early Christian sects that were floating around before they were squashed by the power of Rome.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Originally posted by: edro
The three major religions, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, are all three based off of the Old Testament.

I didn't realize how narrow people are. The three "major" religions huh. Forget about all those Hindus, Buddhist, etc...there's only a handful of them...

That reminds me of that Simpsons episode... where Reverend Lovejoy is talking and says something along the lines of "be you Christian, or Jew, or... miscellaneous" (in reference to Apu)
Then Apu says "Hindu! There are 700 million of us!"

"Aww, that's super!"

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I was using Christianity, Judaism and Islam as examples, because they all share a common heritage.
I understand that they are not the world's largest, but they were a good example for my question.

Also, I know that 90% of ATOT is atheist/agnostic, but I may be one of the few who like the religious debates.

judasmachine

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2002
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
They're all equally illogical, but Mormonism is so recent (like Scientology) that not seeing the idiocy of it is a bit more unforgivable.

qft

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..Mormonism, and similar religions gained popularity when the US was an unsettled continent.

Kanalua

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Dogs bark at the wheels of the wagons...as the caravan moves on to Zion...

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: zinfamous
It doesn't really seem that much wackier than most other religions to me, regardless of age. Genuine Mormons are usually really nice folks, too.

Originally posted by: thespeakerbox
Mormon arent accepted as Christians because they are not. They are mormons.

They believe Jesus was the son of God. Close enough for me.

yeah. other Christians don't believe they are, stfw? Mormons, consider themselves Christians, and the tenets of their faith subscribes to those of Christianity. Their sect is no less Christian than the two major ones that have survived (Roman Catholic and Protestant/Lutheran).

Hell, Mormonism probably isn't as loony as many of the early Christian sects that were floating around before they were squashed by the power of Rome.

There's a heck of a lot of differences. Like I posted earlier, don't open that can of worms.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Kanalua
Dogs bark at the wheels of the wagons...as the caravan moves on to Zion...

I know they don't teach this in the church, but most of those pioneers weren't with the church's founders in Ohio and Missouri in the 1830s.
After the Mormons lost their land war in Missouri, it had already fractured and the membership that went with Smith to Nauvoo was low. So he sent Young to England around 1840 on a mission, where he found and brought back thousands of new converts. These were the people then who trekked with Young to Utah in 1847. And that's why a lot of the Utah Mormons are so similar in appearance. They all came from the same stock.
Those are my ancestors on my mother's side BTW.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The very first sentence below brings doubt to my mind.

Mormons believe that Joseph Smith restored the true church on the earth.
The Church of Jesus Christ was restored to its fullness to Joseph Smith in 1820. As a fourteen year old boy, Joseph Smith went into the sacred grove of trees in Manchester, New York, and prayed to know which church he should join. It was then that Joseph Smith had the First Vision. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Him and told him he was not to join any of the churches. Instead, he was to restore the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Through inspiration from an Angel, Moroni, Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon. Joseph Smith spent his life acting as missionary and leading the church as a prophet. The restored Mormon Church has the same teachings and organization as the Church established by Jesus in New Testament times. Revelation through a modern day prophet has helped the church adapt to modern day.

Summary of Mormon Beliefs
At the core of a Mormon?s testimony is faith in God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Ghost, and Joseph Smith?s restoration of the true church on earth. A basic belief in these truths is the foundation of a testimony of the Mormon Church. Mormons believe and strive to follow the Ten Commandments and the Articles of Faith, which outline more basic Mormon beliefs. Because the Mormon Church believes in a modern day prophet, we are open to revelation from the Lord to change or expand the church. Membership in the Mormon Church influences every aspect of your life. Mormons follow The Word of Wisdom, a law in the Mormon Church that forbids drinking alcohol, coffee or using drugs. The law of tithing was later given to the people. Mormons believe in dressing modesty. Mormons refrain from shopping on Sundays in order to keep the Sabbath Day Holy. These laws may seem small but have a large impact on our lives. By following the counsels of the prophet, we can strengthen our testimony of the major beliefs in Mormonism. Having a firm belief in the major beliefs of Mormonism, like having faith in a God and Jesus Christ, will help us follow the commandments and counsel of the Lord. Living the Mormon lifestyle is easy when one has a true and strong testimony of the fundamental beliefs.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
The very first sentence below brings doubt to my mind.

Summary of Mormon Beliefs
Mormons follow The Word of Wisdom, a law in the Mormon Church that forbids drinking alcohol, coffee or using drugs.

Whats wrong with coffee? Cupa "Joe" Smith bad? :laugh:

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: SoundTheSurrender
Mormons are a business cult. They sell freakin' Mormon pants. How ridiculous is that?

But really, arent all religions just cults?

Mr Pepper

Oct 15, 1999
The idea of an all powerful God tends to muck up the gears of mankind's pride. The real question is, What does mankind have to be so proud of anyway? Seeing as how our efforts have made such an improvement to the world and all..

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Originally posted by: Saint Michael
They're all equally illogical, but Mormonism is so recent (like Scientology) that not seeing the idiocy of it is a bit more unforgivable.

You betcha.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: MrLee
You know what really gripes me the most about mormons? They are awesome. They are like the best Christians that I know. If they would just be Christians then Christians wouldn't have such a bad name. But no, they have to go on about some new book that this pligram found bla bla bla. If they would have just left crap the way it was they could be awesome.

I agree with you there, my wife's whole family is Mormon, and I really can see how the teaching helped the family unit become stronger. I also have some Mormon neighbors who are really kind and would give anything you ask of them to help you.

On the other hand I do think its weird to have a religion with such new stuff, but hey, they're not really crazy and generally good people, so in that respect I guess I'd say I find it more authentic since I think that ultimately all religion is about being a better person.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Where's the option for "All religious sects are equally useless in my book."

QFT. Given that there is no evidence to support any of it, I choose not to believe in any of it.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Although, all religions are useless, I'll have to say that I look down more on those religions that were started by people who were insincere in their beliefs and only out to make a buck or acquire power.

It's the difference between someone that is delusional and a criminal looking to steal your wallet. Following either one won't end well, though.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
That's sorta like asking if you find catshit to be less raunchy than others...

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Buddhism is probably the best of all religions, if your gonna be religious. :)