Do you ever put off...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
...starting up a game when you know you are almost done because you know you will be depressed when the game is over?

Happened to me a few times...

BxgJ

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2015
Sometimes, but not too often. Right now I'm very near the end of the Witcher 3, and I really don't want Geralt's story to be over. More often I push through to the end because I'm kind of tired of playing the game, and want to cross it off my steam 'to do' list.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I actually put off finishing Skyrim until the last DLC was released, didn't want to have to put in another few hundred hours into the game for each DLC. If I finish a game and then more story comes out I have to start over just to feel that I am doing it the right way.

I still haven't finished GTA V, I developed a intense dislike for Trevor but that is slowly waning and I will eventually finish the game, maybe in a couple of years ready for GTA VI...

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
I actually put off finishing Skyrim until the last DLC was released, didn't want to have to put in another few hundred hours into the game for each DLC. If I finish a game and then more story comes out I have to start over just to feel that I am doing it the right way.

I still haven't finished GTA V, I developed a intense dislike for Trevor but that is slowly waning and I will eventually finish the game, maybe in a couple of years ready for GTA VI...

I have Skyrim, does it have a story to follow or is it pure sandbox?

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Fallout (3 and vegas) I knew i was at end, but had to much to explore and find yet, and I had only touched some of the DLC. I ended up playing 3 from start to almost finish 3 times (guns melee and final guns to end). I final bit the bullet (after I got to the ALMOST end of vegas) and finished 3 (well saw an ending) as I figured i should see the one for 3 before I did the one for Vegas. Skyrim is also done, but not to the final cut scenes, otherwise, I finish them.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Nah, I mostly get distracted by other things or other games, then don't want to go back to it because I forgot this or that, etc etc.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hmmm... good question.

It sort of did that to me for the first Mass Effect. When I got on (quite literally) the Citadel (
near the end, going for Saren
) I knew that I was approaching the ending, it was not only obvious (story-wise) but I "felt" it. I took a full day break from continuing at some point because I didn't want to burn through that last phase of the game too fast. I wasn't "depressed" that it was about to end, however. I just wanted it to continue on forever I suppose. When I did complete it I was so satisfied that I simply just started an entirely new Shepard right after (literally after the credits finished rolling, started a new one).

It's the only one I can think of for now that I guess came kinda close to "not wanting to start it up" because I knew I was getting close to completing it.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I'm one boss fight away from beating Pillars of Eternity. I've been putting it off for months because the ENTIRE game depressed me. It seems like every choice you're given has a horrible result, so after while, I felt, "why bother playing, when whatever I do's going to turn out crap anyway?" The games doesn't need to be Bioware-Baldur's Gate level with simple heroism, but Pillars went too far in the other direction.

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Hmmm... good question.

It sort of did that to me for the first Mass Effect. When I got on (quite literally) the Citadel (
near the end, going for Saren
) I knew that I was approaching the ending, it was not only obvious (story-wise) but I "felt" it. I took a full day break from continuing at some point because I didn't want to burn through that last phase of the game too fast. I wasn't "depressed" that it was about to end, however. I just wanted it to continue on forever I suppose. When I did complete it I was so satisfied that I simply just started an entirely new Shepard right after (literally after the credits finished rolling, started a new one).

It's the only one I can think of for now that I guess came kinda close to "not wanting to start it up" because I knew I was getting close to completing it.

Actually now that you mention Mass Effect... the 3rd title I have never finished and probably never will. Got about 80% through the game and then read about the awful ending and just never launched it again. Probably never will, even the "updated" endings are a cop out and will quite frankly depress me.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

I played all 3 possible endings. Now I am going through yet another run trough. I think I have played it start to finish at least 8 times. I wish you could get the 2 billion dollars in mid game instead of near the end. i also wish they had more single player missions or at least some single player DLC.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
GTAV maybe, but then again, I did not know it was going to end so suddenly and abruptly. It could of used about 2-3 hrs worth of content with so many unexplored parts of the map.