Do you consider Israel to be the only democracy in the Middle East?

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was listening to Sirius, and one of their DJs remarked that: "Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East." Lebanon was one democracy that I instantly thought of, but some people say they aren't a true democracy. What is YOUR personal opinion? Care to list any other than Lebanon?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
isn't lebanon's govt. a puppet for syria?

how about egypt? i thought they were doing pretty good

turkey?

ed21x

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2001
Israel is the only one that has a true democracy in place, however UAE, Qatar both have really chill governments that are good at what they are doing without laying the smackdown on all opposition.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
None are democratic in the western, classical liberal sense of the word. Sure, most Arab nations make a big show out of elections and utilize populist rhetoric, but none are completely accountable to the populace which is the touchstone of a democratic nation.

Aug 25, 2004
This question is highly YMMV, as each person's interpretation of democracy can vary. For example, Lil' Kim's Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Well they're the only one living to the standards of Civilization, besides Turkey and hopefully the new Iraq, unless its split in 3 because the savages can't get along.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: glenn1
None are democratic in the western, classical liberal sense of the word. Sure, most Arab nations make a big show out of elections and utilize populist rhetoric, but none are completely accountable to the populace which is the touchstone of a democratic nation.

I agree that they are typically illiberal democracies. However, most countries can't just transform into a liberal democracy over night -- at least not with more conservative and fascist Islamacists having currents of power.