Do you consider Hare Krishna a cult?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
how are they more or less of a cult then say methodists or lutherans?
I never had a Lutheran accost me and try to sell me flowers at the Airport.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Cyberian

Is that what defines a cult?

Crapkilla

Dec 28, 2001
I'd say it's a good start to defining one, yes.

Originally posted by: Mani

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

Ever seen an extremist Lutheran?
:)

Hacen't really seen any extremist HKs either...unless passing out flowers in airports qualifies as extremism.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: aphex
Just curious....

I dunno if they are a cult of not, but my family are life-time members.

I remember staying with them for free in Zurich for a few days when I was 5 years old. I was got scared by their chantings/hair, but I remember the food was awesome.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Crapkilla

So basically your definition of a cult has nothing to do with the word's actual definition then.

By the way, I've been accosted by christians telling me I'm going to hell if I don't read and live my life by the bible. Even had one try to force his way into my dorm room to tell me that. Guess that makes them rabid cultists.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Shantanu
Hare Krisnha are a bunch of white people who want to be Hindus. They can't be Hindus, though, because you can't convert to Hinduism. That's why they become Hare Krishnas.

I went to a Hare Krishna temple in West Virginia one time. They're harmless.

Hinduism is more of a philosophy rather than a religion. You don't really have to do anything to "convert" into a Hindu. You just practice their ways. And there are tons of people who practice it in different ways. Some are more hardcore than others. For example, my grandma will wake up early every morning, setup the mini-temple in the house, do some rangoli outside the house, etc...while my mom just prays after she takes a shower.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

i have had them accost me, mormons and catholics too. i'd rather get a flower then be told i was going to be damned to eternal hell because i dont accept jesus christ as my savior.

Haller

May 22, 2003
This is from Webster's Dictionary
Cult: 1. worship; reverential honor; religious devotion
2. The system of outward forms and ceremonies used in worship; religious rites and formalities.
3. devoted attachment to, or extravagant admiration for, a person, principle, etc...especially when regarded as a fad; as, the cult of nudism.

Definition number three seems to define the modern connotation of what it is to be a cult. With that and the fact that Hari Krishna is a sect of Hinduism in mind...not it is not a cult. Nor are most religions.

Crapkilla

Dec 28, 2001

So basically your definition of a cult has nothing to do with the word's actual definition then.

Well, if you want to go by Webster's, I dare you to find any (dis)organized religion that's not a "cult".

Webster's online:
a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

I'm sure those that followed Jesus (or whatever other you praise) fell into these categories back in the day, before it became commonly accepted.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001

Well, if you want to go by Webster's, I dare you to find any (dis)organized religion that's not a "cult".

Webster's online:
a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
b. The followers of such a religion or sect.
2. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
3. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
4. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
a. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
b. The object of such devotion.
6. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.

I'm sure those that followed Jesus (or whatever other you praise) fell into these categories back in the day, before it became commonly accepted.

Obviously those two definitions may as well equate a cult to a religion. The first definition corresponds best with the word's modern connotation and HK does not fit it.

Crapkilla

Dec 28, 2001
Nice edit on that last one Mani.

Yes, I guess you noticed that dictionary.com and websters.com are one and the same.

Truly, I have issues with anyone that pushes their religion on me, be it Christianity, Muslim, etc.
It seems that nearly every commonly accepted religion today at one time was considered a cult and only the test of time can remove that connotation.

Now Scientology on the other hand.... :)

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Nice edit on that last one Mani.

Yes, I guess you noticed that dictionary.com and websters.com are one and the same.

I always thought so but when two people posted two different definitions it made me wonder.

Above point still stands though.