Do you carry all your credit cards with you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kaervak

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Out of six credit cards and two debit cards I only sometimes carry one visa. When I do carry the visa it's for a purchase that I don't have the cash on me to cover, but available in my bank. Only time I carry a debit card is when I'm going to the bank to deposit/withdraw money. Aside from that, I pay cash as much as possible. No, not because I'm some financially irresponsible moron, because I'm a paranoid nutjob that doesn't like to be tracked. ;)

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
I used to carry to many, and just recent I realized i don't every used'em all so they are sitting on my desk right now.
I think I was having back pain because of my fat wallet in the back pocket... moved it to the front now.

Feb 19, 2001
3 CCs, 2 Debits. I sometimes carry my paypal card, but I found it on the ground a few days ago after cleaning my room so I guess it hasnt been in my wallet for a while.

Other cards include Costco card, Blockbuster card, student ID, some health insurance cards, AAA card, and it just adds up on thickness. Ew. It's also nice to have that 3rd CC around because when I lock myself out, I use my 3rd CC, which I've never used since I jumped ship to Citi Dividend, to break myself into my apartment. Yes, so if you figure out where I live, a CC is all you need to break in. I rarely deadbolt. My roommate seems not to mind. Actually I dug through the junk mail box and folded an ad up and jammed it in my door to get in today. Took 3 seconds.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
1 Debit, 1 Credit, Student ID, Driver's License

After getting held up at work with a full wallet, I just don't want to go through the pain of calling a half dozen companies or more to cancel every one of them if it ever happens again.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I have 2. I carry them all with me.

Only use one as the primary but ave the second as a Just-in-case card. Then also have my Visa Debit card.

Azurik

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Originally posted by: Ns1
That is not true, at all.
The loan officer at Wachovia told me this the last time I applied for a loan and my credit score was not the highest possible. The credit card I'd gotten a few months previous and the credit check the phone company did before installing new service were the reasons given for the current rating (~800). I assume - maybe incorrectly - that the loan officer has the correct information.

The loan officer gave you incorrect information, probably because he doesn't know any better. Initial credit inquiries while getting new cards will lower your score, but it will creep back up to the original level and eventually become higher if you consistently pay off your debt and your credit limits are high.

I have about 65 cards now and if his statement was true, I'd be screwed :)

I NEVER pay with cash if credit cards are allowed. I use various AMEX cards, and in times when AMEX is not accepted, I use my Citi Professional. For international travel, I use Penfed Visa (only 1% FOREX charge, but 1.25% cash back).

njswift10141980

Feb 12, 2005
I have all 6 in my wallet but 2 are debit, I went to the store this past saturday and when I took out my wallet I said to myself holy shirt it's not a wise idea for me to be carring all these card around especially if I rotate them, so when I get out of work today I think I'll store the rest in my other wallet.

LS21

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
1. amex sky(primary)
2. citi div (for acceptance, when someone refuses amex)
3. primary bank card
these are in daily slim wallet

other bank card stays in my costanza wallet i leave at home. other credit cards in there as well... some in computer drawer when i need to buy online and my wallets not around. there is a backup credit card hidden in my car (ie need to grab lunch).

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
I have 4 and carry 3.

Amex Blue
Schwab Visa
Sam's Discover

The last that I don't carry is a BoA Platinum Visa (my first CC)

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
It is not wise to carry all of your credit cards with you. I am glad that most people in this thread answered that way.

1) Your credit score is maximized when you have one or more cards with $0 balance. To do that practically, you need to not use it for the entire month, otherwise you likely will have a non $0 balance when the credit score is checked. Thus, you should always rotate at least one out and not use it for a couple of months. On the converse side, to avoid telemarketing hassles, you need to rotate them in every once in a while too and use them once.

2) If you lose your wallet or if it gets stolen, and you have all your cards in it, then you are screwed. It'll take several days at least to get your cards back. That means no purchases, even many emergencies, during that time. And you can't always pay for things with cash/check (especially if those too were lost/stolen). Thus, you should always have a credit card at home that isn't in your wallet. You can then always make the necessary purchases after a quick trip home.

V00DOO

Diamond Member
Dec 2, 2000
I only have only 3 (Costco Amex, Citi Master, and Discover) and I do carry all 3 in my wallet.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
2 citi cards (personal & joint - I love my 50% off card)
1 corporate amex
1 atm card

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
I only own one card and only carry one card. Who needs more? I have 1 debit card I need to get renewed though.

xeemzor

Platinum Member
Mar 27, 2005
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
I only own one card and only carry one card. Who needs more? I have 1 debit card I need to get renewed though.

The people who have 30+ card (I have 4) get them for the rewards received upon opening the account. I have not gotten less than $150 each for my accounts.

MotionMan

Lifer
Jan 11, 2006
Originally posted by: xeemzor
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete

The people who have 30+ card (I have 4) get them for the rewards received upon opening the account. I have not gotten less than $150 each for my accounts.

But, why would one keep more than 2-3 credit cards open?

And what cards give you $150+ for opening an account?

I have two credit cards and I carry both, plus I have my ATM card (which is also a debit card, but I never use it as one).

I have one other CC account, but I do not even have the card for it. I just closed on my refi, so I think I can close that CC without any negative repercussions.

My wife also has a couple store CCs.

MotionMan