do you build computers for your friends?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chevelle396

Golden Member
May 10, 2001
I love putting together computers for other people. Gives me a chance to test out new stuff, and I dunno, I just enjoy it.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
friends & family depend on me for suggestions, but i don't assemble anything except my own systems. when something screws up, though, it's me they call.

matmax

May 20, 2000
not stressful but its a pain in the arse, because when they have a problem with it down the line.....who they gonna call?

Igotgas

Jan 17, 2001
sure do it all the time, but why the stress? if anything fails, it's not the totality of the cost that you should be worried about, rather just the individual component cost.

MWink

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< If something happens to their computer, it is going to be your fault >>

In my case it was the system that I did not build that I got blamed for. My uncle's first computer (P166) never worked right and he always blamed me because I recommended the place. Since then I have personally built all his computers and not had anywhere near as many problems.

cpars

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
well speak of the devil ... just got a call from the brother-in-law &quot;my computer is locking up whats wrong with it&quot; my first question is well have you installed anything since i built it for you 6 months ago (hardware wise) &quot;no I havent done anything to it, just like the day you delivered to me&quot; So I tell him to press ctrl+alt+del :Q and tell me what you see and my god there is all sorts of junk running that I never installed :| even something that has robots in it ?? and of course there is the software running for the Iomega external drive he installed an so on and so on.

But the answer is always the same no I have not touched since you brought to me, and of course &quot;Oh no ! I never download stuff off the Internet&quot; hmmm...wonder where that gator program came from :Q

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
sometimes , but usually for good friends. I make them watch though, one girl figured out how to install her own cards eventually after the 2nd build

XzeroR3

Sep 29, 2000
I do it for close friends or family and I don't charge cause i enjoy it. of course it takes me about 2 months from start to finish. I don't commit to anything when it comes to building computers.

Stability is more important than overclocking. Use quality parts too when you can.

I just built my bro a $600 duron system that does exactly what he needs it to do. play games and have lots of space for games(and stuff to do schoolwork on). I did overclock it but i know it wont last but its ok cause he's my lil bro and i'm up at least once every 2 months.

My friends comp: 500 mhz P3 system. long time ago. good workhorse could use a processor upgrade. I live with him currently and he's competant computer wise so no worries about tech support.

and then i've built two computers for myself.. which i destroy.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
not much stress.....and i don't charge them for labor. :)

luckily, they are pretty computer savvy.....