do you build computers for your friends?

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
once my friends/family find out that i build my own computers, and they learn how much best buy comps suck, they ask me to build a computer for them.

i'm never stressed out as much as when i'm putting together a comp with 1000 bucks worth of someone else's stuff.

does anyone else feel this way? i know how to put a heatsink on, but its still stressfull when its not yours.

also i don't want to refuse to put it together for them, and they usually have no idea how a computer works and would not understand if i messed up their cpu.

does anyone else build other peeps comps (for free).

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
*NO* - too much of a headache. They pay you for the computer, but they don't pay you for the tech support you provide for it after they break it :(

Duckers

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2000
I would never build a computer for a friend/family member.

If something happens to their computer, it is going to be your fault

santas

Jan 1, 2000
My friend wanted to build my computer. It stressed ME out because I hated for him to spend so much time on it. He has been very patient, and has taught me alot (although I am still a novice). I would say, don't do it unless you want to be bothered constantly with problems. It can be very time consuming and frustrating. Or if you have a girlfriend that you want to have an excuse to spend alot of time with her.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
It kinda depends on the friend/reletive and the situation. Of course this is coming from a guy who with help from his dad wired his grandma's house (from scratch, new house)

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Depends. For example, I just built my parents a new computer, and that was fun because they wanted to spend decent money. It was fun taking them to a store and picking out a nice case, best motherboard, and a flat panel monitor. All stuff I would buy myself, but can't afford.

For my friends? I wouldn't anymore. At least for free I wouldn't. I don't mind helping them out a bit, but I don't want to put together a whole system for them.

iamfried

Jan 28, 2001
My brother wanted me to build a computer for him and I told him to just buy it from gateway or dell or something so that he gets full tech support. (I think that if it is your first computer and you know nothing about computers except how to use windows this is the way to go) Sure, I could have built him one cheaper and what not, but, I don't have the time to answer all of his questions.
Although I still get calls from him about his computer and how to fix it, the difference is, he doesn't think that it is my fault that he messed it up.:)

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
No chance in heck will I put myself through that again.
aarrrgggggg!:disgust:

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
I will teach my friends how to build computers, have them order the parts, then help them build it/put it together.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
iamfried: I almost did that to my parents. I even spec'd them out a Gateway system for them to order. But, they wanted me to build one for them, and since they are my parents I went ahead and did it. They weren't going to pay me, but when my dad found out how much the local computer store was charging for the same thing I did for them, they bought me a new computer chair.

SonicFlux

Mar 9, 2000
FRIENDS DON'T BUILD COMPUTERS FOR FRIENDS!!!

Live by those rules, and you will have a lot less stress in your life. I built 3 systems for people before I realized it's not worth it:

1st system: built a 400mhz box for roommate. everything went ok, but he constantly asked for help over the course of two years.

2nd system: built a 500mhz box for an older guy at work. he paid me $100 to do it, but later i found out he thought I did a crappy job because, in his opinion, it was just as slow as his old 200mhz machine. But here's the kicker... He was basing computer speed on how fast he could surf the net. He thought that a faster machine was going to make his 56k connection faster! And of course it didn't, so he told a lot of people at work that I ripped him off. Also, that was two years ago, but he continues to call me at work to help him fix problems.

3rd system: built a 733mhz system for friend. Due to shipping delays and bad parts, it took over two months to build it. And by that time, it would have been cheaper to by a Dell. This was an absolute nightmare! Everything that could go wrong did go wrong... And now that friend is still upset about having me build it. And he swears he will always buy Dell from now on :(

Do yourself a favor by resisting the pressure your friends/family put on you to build a computer for them...

Electricice

Jan 25, 2001
i build comps for people i know but they also know when i am doing it that i wont anser there questions if they screw something up and will have to pay me to fix it if they want it to work again. i stopped doing frre work after i built a computer for my grandmas friend and all she did was complain. she kept complaining about h9ow slow it was and how it would never do what she wanted. she didnt understafne that 300 bucks wont buy you a computer thats going to go very fast. she demanded it would and went out and bought a pos compaq and ever since thanks me every time i do comp work even though she has to pay for it.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Its too much freaken stress. If anything goes wrong, even if its not your fault, they will bother you to fix it. I had to do a complete re-format, repartitioning and reinstallation of windows for a guy cuzz he downloaded a freaken virus! I will never ever make one for a friend again. I'll help out and give some advice, but never do it. Of course as Santas said, yea... The girl I like on the other hand, her comp needs a lot of help... A lot of help....

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
Me and a freind do, but we charge labor too, $75 for family and $150 for freinds...adds up nicely.

rc5

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
I hate to build computer for someone knowing a little computer yet enjoying fingerpointing.

cpars

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
No, quit doing that also. for alot of the same reasons already stated above

WordSmith2000

Banned
May 4, 2001
When they ask...I go to a site that has a configurator, configure the computer for them, let them enter their info, and the computer is built by another company and shipped to them.

Then when I get a call, I direct them to the teck support numbers from the company that built them...

It is far easier that way.

I built a computer for wife, and one each for daughters, and teck support for those three alone causes occaisional headaches (they actually know how to use a computer without breaking it!)

Aenygma

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
It be one of the things I do on the side for $$$.

I have configured and put together a lot of PC's, never had any troubles or complaints. I tell them up front what they will get and what to expect, and how far my obligation go to them.

I have friends who also do this, and we get better prices than can be found on say pricewatch on just abut everything. :)