Do you boycott anything?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
I wouldn't call it a full on "boycott" but I refuse to buy name brand "Designer label" type clothes, such as Tommy Hilfiger, American Eagle, Eddie Bauer, etc. However, if I find a shirt made by them that I like on clearance for $5 or so, I might buy it then.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Cell phones. I refuse to buy one of these walkie-talkies with which the sole purpose is to gossip.

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
For Lent I gave up my alarm clock...

:)

I try to boycott businesses here that are cited multiple times and publiclly confess to using illegal aliens as labor (certain contracters). Everyone knows the border is an issue, but frankly I'm tired of seeing these employers dangle the carrots for illegal immigration and getting away with it.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Abercrombie - just think they are crap clothes for the cost and I don't like how they advertise to younger kids
Wal Mart - Enough said
Best Buy - again enough said
Sony - I think they have just craptastic products for the premium price you are expected to pay and nearly all of the Sony products I had broke at one point or another. Only exception would be Sony Music because if I like the artist it is because of the artist, not Sony.
Jane Fonda - enough said

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Baked
Cell phones. I refuse to buy one of these walkie-talkies with which the sole purpose is to gossip.

Stay away man.. once you get one you can't go back. People used to know my work number and my home number and they'd find out how to reach me, but now it's all about the cell phone. It makes things much easier, but to be dependent on it now for $40+ is bad

Originally posted by: imtim83

:thumbsup:
I take it neither of you conduct any real business on the phone then.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001

That is pretty closed minded. My mobile phone is my only phone and I feel I get a much better product having a mobile phone as opposed to a land line; free metro line (big deal in DFW where we have multiple zip codes and some of them are considered "long distance" such as calling from Dallas to Forth Worth), caller ID, good national calling plan Additionally it carries a great deal of information for me, schedules and contact information for example.

It is pretty naive to think the sole purpose of a cellular phone is to gossip. In fact, that is a pretty blindingly dumb comment.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
Originally posted by: aircooled
Jack in the Box.
While children were dying from e-coli in Seattle hospitals from eating their food, they denied blame and would not help in any manner. Then after long court battles (after it was too late) they admitted their burgers were not cooked to the proper temperature to kill e-coli. They have lost my business for life.

i knew a guy whose daughter was one of the children that died from that in 1993

Originally posted by: SampSon

:roll:
If you participate in real business on a daily basis chances are you -need- a cell phone.

I don't expect you to need anything except the internet and a tinfoil hat.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: Chunkee
Who or what and why?

I have colleague that does not watch movies with extreme liberal actors in them.

jC

I wouldn't go that far (after all, how many Charleston Heston movies *can* one watch?) But I do tend to not watch movies that feature actors/actresses who feel that their political beliefs should not only be made public, but demand some sort of respect for their innane opinions. We all have assholes, but not all of us feel that ours is the best in the world and threaten to leave the country that made them rich/famous if you don't agree with them.

For that, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is about the only Sean Penn movie I've seen. (although I did watch 21 Grams - but I didn't pay for it :p)

I also don't buy "expensive" clothes. That's not so much a boycott as common sense. I buy Dockers when they are on 2/$25 sales and $16 blue jeans, picking up a cheap shirt here and there (the one I'm wearing today cost $3.) My only sin here is my footwear. While I do tend to buy cheap tennis shoes (< $30), I do tend to spend $50-75 on my Sketcher's boots. Last ones I had lasted me ~8 years. I hope these hold up just as long..

Edit: Apparently, I'm also boycotting spell-checkers. :p

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

If you participate in real business on a daily basis chances are you -need- a cell phone.

And his trusty sock.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Carl's Jr. I love their food, but the founder of the store donates massive amounts of money to extremely extreme right-wing groups. The kind that blow up abortion clinics. Taking a stance of abortion is one thing, but killing people to support your "pro-life" agenda is retarded.

Originally posted by: SSP

And his trusty sock.
No way, socks are filled with germs. Also they do the sex.

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

Absolutely necessary for me. I do not "gossip" on the phone, hell I rarely make ANY personal calls. My cell phone is strictly a means for people to get in contact with me when they need me.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: yukichigai
Carl's Jr. I love their food, but the founder of the store donates massive amounts of money to extremely extreme right-wing groups. The kind that blow up abortion clinics. Taking a stance of abortion is one thing, but killing people to support your "pro-life" agenda is retarded.

interesting, i did not know that

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004

a la door to door meat seller.

cjgallen

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2003
Originally posted by: aircooled
Jack in the Box.
While children were dying from e-coli in Seattle hospitals from eating their food, they denied blame and would not help in any manner. Then after long court battles (after it was too late) they admitted their burgers were not cooked to the proper temperature to kill e-coli. They have lost my business for life.

Pretty much.