Do you blame Bush for this financial disaster of a mess ?

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
If so why ?

I'm hearing a bunch of this and that in my office and a lot of people are blaming Bush for this mess.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
no. it has more to do then bush, or even congress. its more about greed and lack of careing what can happen.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Hell No. He has nothing to do with it. All the crap went downhill once we had a democrat house/senate. Time to educate them on government 101.

moparacer

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2003
I think the majority of the blame can be tied to the people that work on that famous street they have up in Manhattan......

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: moparacer
I think the majority of the blame can be tied to the people that work on that famous street they have up in Manhattan......

Broadway! It's Broadway, right!?!?!

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: sonambulo

Those damn producers and all of their shows!!! Bastards, all of them! :|

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I blame pretty much anyone that cashed in on virtual wealth that never should have been there, bought a house they couldn't afford, gave a loan they couldn't verify, and just about anyone that wracked up far more in debt than their lifestyle or cashflow could support.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: dNor
I blame America for American problems, not just one person

Yeah, um, exactly I definitely am agreeing with this sentiment wholeheartedly. On the other hand, America wrote some really great songs so I think we can be lenient with the punishment.

Are we in lockstep on this one or am I dying up on stage here?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
This has little to do with who is in the Congress or the White House currently. The problems go back more than a decade that have been covered up for a while due to shady dealings at the top of places like Fannie Mae and the push for making loans available to people who normally wouldn't be able to afford them.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: KLin

Hey hey! Let's burn down Broadway so nothing like this ever happens again! Who's with me?!?!

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Here's the chain of command to blame:

1) the sleazy salesman who sold the shit loans
2) the worthless customer who took out 100% financing with liar loans
3) the greedy ass investment banks that packaged the loans together
4) the greedy ass investment banks that borrowed 30x their equity and bought and sold these loans
5) short sellers
6) Obama

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Some people have no sense of personal responsibility. And what i find even more ridiculous is that some of these people blame the president for this mess.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Bush alone, no. but ask yourself which party pushes for deregulation and wants to just let the market balance itself out, and which party wants enhanced regulation because it doesn't trust the top shelf of banking execs who get paid $20M even when they are fired for gross incompetence/negligence

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80

4) the greedy ass investment banks that borrowed 30x their equity and bought and sold these loans
5) short sellers
6) Obama

7) Yo Mama!

Awwwww yeahhhhhh!!! Two times!!!!!!!!!!!!

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: vi edit
I blame pretty much anyone that cashed in on virtual wealth that never should have been there, bought a house they couldn't afford, gave a loan they couldn't verify, and just about anyone that wracked up far more in debt than their lifestyle or cashflow could support.

This cannot be emphasized enough.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: JS80

5) short sellers
6) Obama

:laugh:
There's no doubt that you are a dedicated partisan hack!
We agree apart from that, though.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: KLin
Originally posted by: sonambulo

Those God Damn Cat People!!!!!

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman

Those God Damn Cat People!!!!!

There's a Planet of the Apes musical joke somewhere in here but I just can't seem to rub it out into my post.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
Bush alone, no. but ask yourself which party pushes for deregulation and wants to just let the market balance itself out, and which party wants enhanced regulation because it doesn't trust the top shelf of banking execs who get paid $20M even when they are fired for gross incompetence/negligence

Link - The Bush Admin tried to reform Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae five years ago. Dems blocked it.

Among the groups denouncing the proposal today were the National Association of Home Builders and Congressional Democrats who fear that tighter regulation of the companies could sharply reduce their commitment to financing low-income and affordable housing.

?These two entities ? Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ? are not facing any kind of financial crisis,? said Representative Barney Frank of Massachusetts, the ranking Democrat on the Financial Services Committee. ?The more people exaggerate these problems, the more pressure there is on these companies, the less we will see in terms of affordable housing.?

Representative Melvin L. Watt, Democrat of North Carolina, agreed.

?I don?t see much other than a shell game going on here, moving something from one agency to another and in the process weakening the bargaining power of poorer families and their ability to get affordable housing,? Mr. Watt said.