Do you believe or not believe in god

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
And why would you do that? If we all said we were neo-Nazis, would you claim to be one too? Anyway, there are several respectable atheists at Anandtech Forums already, you're no stranger.

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
"When it comes to the afterlife, none of us can currently prove who is correct. In time, none of us will be able to deny who was correct."

-someone smarter than me.

BTW Hyper thats a pretty serious thing to be flippant about...and people calle christians sheep....

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You know, I believe, but I guess it's because I have personal reasons, which I wont get into that cause me to have faith in a higher being, which I chose to call God. My beliefs are based on personal experience and faith, not something I was coerced into by someone else. I am not a follower of other people.

Hyper99

Banned
Jun 14, 2000
What about people who just have their imagination run wild
and thought there was such thing as a ghost.
Are you suppose to believe that too?
To believe something that you know nothing about is to be a fool
a fortune teller does a much better job then that telling what has happened in the your past life and what going to happen in the future say at what age your going to die.
I have met some fortune teller and they were pretty accurate about what they said about me of course.
They do this for a living too not a free service.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Thats basicly the same with me, I have my own personal reasons which are too complex to devulve into on these forums - the debate could take 1000's of posts, and I'd rather not.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hyper99, that's the most realistic thing you've ever said. ;)

I've seen thousands of these debates over the years on forums. They end up nowhere everytime. Everyone for the most part has the same opinions as when they started. Therefore these types of threads are a pathetic waste of bandwidth that could be used for lighter topic discussion. :)
The problem with discussing religion is, sooner or later it gets too personal.

~zonker~

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2000
One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple. (PS 27:4)

I believe...

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't entertain the belief because I find its fundamental assumption uninteresting, though imaginative, the supporting anecdotal evidence uncompelling, though voluminous.

I find to be generally much more interesting the fact that people do believe, and I am also reminded of that oft quoted line from Hamlet, Act I, scene 5.

[edit]Act I, not II[/edit]

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Believe. Evolution just can't be true.

Why does everyone think that evolution and religion are incompatible? Of the hundreds of religions in the world today, only a handful of Protestant Christian religions go around denying evolution. If I'm not mistaken, even the Pope acknowledges it.

MrPALCO

Banned
Nov 14, 1999

<< Why does everyone think that evolution and religion are incompatible >>

Read Genesis...it was all created in 6 days...not &quot;evolved&quot;, whatever that is.

:)

brandc

Nov 28, 1999
compuwiz, me too!

One thing I've noticed in debates about the existence of God is that they indoubtedly turn to what a person takes to be the nature of God to deny or affirm what one believes. It's not unlike two people pointing at the moon each saying, &quot;That is the moon&quot;, but in the end you find that each is talking about his finger. I assert that what God is or is not can't be known.

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
I don't believe in god and I don't take religious persuaion into effect when I deal with people. I used to get really angry when people would come in either wanting me to work on their computer or buy a new one, and they'll tell me that they're &quot;a good christian family&quot; or a working christian family. That upset me along with the people who hand out business cards with the fish on it. I dunno, maybe it's because I live deep in the bible belt. Regardless, I don't take religion into account when I choose my friends. I don't attempt to change your philosophical views, at least show enough respect not to change mine. (BTW, a couple of my really close friends are devout christians, but they respect my view on things as do I theirs...it works good this way.) I want you to respect my views, not accept them.