Do you believe in possibility of life in other galaxies?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
Or even worse, they consider us to be super-intelligent/godlike and we get to show them the douchebaggery that humanity is capable when we really put our minds to it.
Yeah, that is a real issue. I guess that it would be worse if this civilization is more intelligent than humans and have some ideas about conquering other worlds. Yeah, it really sounds like a plot for some movie about aliens)))

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
I want to mention is that Earth's atmosphere not only gives us O2 but also saves us from the harmful rays of the sun. This is also very rare, none of the planets in the solar system has that kind of atmosphere. There are many other things that may extinct all life on Earth but are not happening because the Earth is, the way it is(example: Earth's magnetic property)
Soo, the chance might be not high.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Whether or not there's life elsewhere, I think there are two choices for the human race. We either set an equilibrium target to stop climate change so that life here on earth can continue, or we need to invent some process of transforming other planets, unless we want to wait a billion years before it becomes possible to visit planets beyond our solar system and find any which have the basics of an earth-like composition. But if you found a planet that had an atmosphere, the water -- perhaps even the weather -- similar to earth, you could bet that some form of life as we know it would be there.

We've been trashing our own planet beyond recovery for more than a century. Slowly. Like frogs in a pot on the stove before the water is more than tolerably warm.

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
An interesting point to be discussed. There is one theory about Proxima B :). I have heard some interesting ideas about Proxima B and some scientists are convinced that this exoplanet might be the second Earth. What do you think about that?

bearnard344

Dec 28, 2020
However, many people consider Proxima B as only the closest planet to Earth outside of our system and there is no reason to think that this makes it life-supporting. I`d like to hear your thoughts about this point.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'd like to think there are other forms of intelligent life out there. I would not believe it until I saw evidence of it myself. By intelligent I guess I would mean self-aware, able to ponder the same questions like we do about ourselves, and the existence of other species.

It's disgraceful to think that if indeed we would be the only such life to exist in the universe, that we treat ourselves and our very rare planet with so poorly. Human kinds efforts should go into caring for our planet, and ensuring humanities survival by putting our energies into science. We need to be able to heal ourselves, travel across space to ensure our survival, and not spend all of our time and energy on weapons of war and destruction unless it relates to keeping the planet safe from rogue asteroids etc.

Think how funny it is that we drone our way to work every day to make money to survive and buy useless crap before we die instead of reaching for the stars.

Feb 4, 2009
Possible ? Anything is possible.
But our chances of determining that question , one way or the other ? 0.

Life is ~ 4 billion yrs.old and the estimated diameter of the observable universe is ~ 92 billion light years.It is not possible for any thing further out than 4 billion light years to know our planet even exists.

Lets say something floating in spacetime 4 billion light years away looked up today and saw the earth. And waved hello . Who would be here to wave back ?

this and a poster in another thread explained it better than I can.
There’s this theory that life should be nearly everywhere but its not. I forget what it is called maybe the big empty or something.
All life is just a flash in time and it is possible none of us exist long enough to ever contact each other. Humans have already endured several disasters/ plagues that nearly eliminated us. For example dna shows this happened, our numbers went from many to hundreds to maybe a few thousand.

Plus other before history events. Then the during recorded history events. Cuban Missile Crisis nearly became a global nuclear war

Today we have COVID, admittedly it is not something that will kill us all but just small modifications to how it infects us like it is more contagious at the beginning or recovering from it makes you sterile and you get the idea we could easily be gone due to some random unexpected event.
By the time some other civilization either grows up enough to look to the stars for others or someone capable of hearing us does we could be gone.

• Love
Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There has to be life in other galaxies. Not that we would ever meet them.
I'd like to think there are other forms of intelligent life out there. I would not believe it until I saw evidence of it myself. By intelligent I guess I would mean self-aware, able to ponder the same questions like we do about ourselves, and the existence of other species.
The question is will we be able to detect that life, and the more interesting question isn't is there life on solar systems elsewhere but is there intelligent life, and bigger than that is the question, can we determine that such and such system(s) have intelligent life on them? I do not think this impossible. That's really what SETI is all about, the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence, which is a real ongoing serious project.

I encountered a professional the other day (online) who thinks that within 2-3 generations the human race is LIKELY to know that THERE IS INTELLIGENT LIFE elsewhere, we will have the evidence. The James Webb Space Telescope is right on the frontier in this. It's much more than that but it may well play a big part in the fulfillment of SETI.

I have no reason to doubt that life as intelligent as humanity exists elsewhere in the universe.

I think it quite possible that we can and will know that life as intelligent as humanity exists, or to put it more accurately, EXISTED in the past (because the speed of light insures that we can't know what's happening currently out there, only in some way what happened when light left what we are observing).

So, we may well know life (and, yes, intelligent life) EXISTED, in fact this may be likely within the next 100 years. But I think it quite possible that there will never be any kind of communication between intelligent life forms in different solar systems due to the distances being so great. One way communication? Maybe not impossible that some intelligible meaningful and even helpful one way communication could happen. Two way? Practically impossible.

Still, it will be spiritually uplifting to know there was (and by logical extension, is) quite intelligent life elsewhere, and we may know this in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I find it amusing when people talk about this subject and make statements about exoplanets not being capable of supporting human life, and therefore no intelligent life.

Very human ego-centric in my opinion, and a rather stunted imagination. Who says other life has to be carbon based? Do you expect other bi-peds? Seems silly to make such assumptions.

Reactions: dlerious