do you agree with this quote?

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
i was just studying us history during the time period right before the american revolution and came across this quote: "As the colonists became more British, they inevitably became more American as well." Who thinks that true?

CrazyPerson

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2003
yes, most of them were British... if they were British.. and they are becoming more British... hows that make them more american...?

must be on booze when he wrote this..

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
They were, by politics, bound to England as a country, but many colonists considered themselves to be an independent group as they were treated poorly by English natives, English troops, and English politicians. I think the quote is talking about when Parliament began enacting the Intolerable Acts, imposing more restrictions and sanctions on the colonies, and the colonial mindset. As the Acts were put into effect, the colonists became more strongly bound to England through way of politics, but became more American, or independent, in mindset. The quote makes sense when you analyze it, but not if you are simply talking polical aspects.
<---- History major/geek

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: dtyn
They were, by politics, bound to England as a country, but many colonists considered themselves to be an independent group as they were treated poorly by English natives, English troops, and English politicians. I think the quote is talking about when Parliament began enacting the Intolerable Acts, imposing more restrictions and sanctions on the colonies, and the colonial mindset. As the Acts were put into effect, the colonists became more strongly bound to England through way of politics, but became more American, or independent, in mindset. The quote makes sense when you analyze it, but not if you are simply talking polical aspects.
<---- History major/geek

so like your saying because they spent more time with them after the Seven Years' War, and the fact that politics were the main subject they usually discussed, the Americans began to realize that the British were really using them.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Mak0602
<---- History major/geek

so like your saying because they spent more time with them after the Seven Years' War, and the fact that politics were the main subject they usually discussed, the Americans began to realize that the British were really using them.

Once the colonists figured out that they basically weren't considered English citizens, but were expected to pay English taxes and house English soldiers, and follow English laws, they realized they were being used. And as such, began to become more independent in mindset, which caused to British to strengthen their leash on the colonists, which caused the colonists to become even more independent, etc, etc...until the Revolution happened.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Mak0602
<---- History major/geek

Once the colonists figured out that they basically weren't considered English citizens, but were expected to pay English taxes and house English soldiers, and follow English laws, they realized they were being used. And as such, began to become more independent in mindset, which caused to British to strengthen their leash on the colonists, which caused the colonists to become even more independent, etc, etc...until the Revolution happened.

though the revolution was important, it really doesn't support the quote in a sense to prove it. i believe that it was the increase of interaction and communication that really changed them from mindless "British" to self-thinking americans."

DerwenArtos12

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
what i interpret it as is that as the colonists wanted their own independant government they went away fro the colonial type governtment and into a government that resembled the british monarchy therefore making them more like the british. However this new government brought them into independance in that new government making them more american.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
I was merely pointing out the Revolution as a culmination of the change. It wasn't the increase of interaction and communication, that didn't happen to a significant degree. It was England becoming more strict with taxes and laws, and not providing benefits. The colonists always considered themselves seperate. Think of it as the British considered the Colonists more British, while the Colonists considered themselves more Independent. American is not the correct word, as such a country did not yet exist. And to get even more in depth, 2/3 of the colonists never supported the Revolution. 1/3 of our citizens supported it, and even less fought it, and yet we still won independence. So, taking that as fact, even after the Revolution, approx 2/3 of the population didn't support what happened. Which means that quote is false, unless it is applying to the minority.

Gyrene

Banned
Jun 6, 2002
Originally posted by: DerwenArtos12
what i interpret it as is that as the colonists wanted their own independant government they went away fro the colonial type governtment and into a government that resembled the british monarchy therefore making them more like the british. However this new government brought them into independance in that new government making them more american.

You are completely wrong. The colonists never wanted to separate from England to being with. The fact that it happened was out of complete chance. The colonists also never set up a governemtn that resembled the british monarchy, but a system that took components from Parliament, and only very basically. Look over American History again.

Wheatmaster

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2002
i've come up with these reasons for this quote: youth, diversity, and population growth, enlightenment, age of reason opened eyes, no representation, and more interaction lead to realization of being used.