Do wireless mice still suck?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bka4u2c

Mar 17, 2006
But are there no hybrid mice? Why can't they make a wireless mouse with a USB lead that can be plugged in to it or removed according to taste, and which will recharge the battery while its plugged in even while you are using it in wired mode?

Also the Sidewinder X8. Mine is plugged in most of time.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Next time I need a new mouse I'll look at those. It seems a sensible solution.

dehemke

Nov 17, 2004
I don't *think* they suck, but its probably more a case of "I'm not good enough for them to be the determining factor anymore."

I use a MX Revolution @ my desktop most of the time with no issues and usually hold my own in games. When I'm on the laptop, I use a MX Nano. I do keep a wired mouse connected to the desktop for those times when I think I need some edge, but I suspect its psychological more than anything else.

I'm in my mid 30s now, and I'm not the same kid who used to win prizes on MS Zone and AOL games tournaments anymore.

Bottom line, unless you're incredibly good, odds are that the bottleneck in your performance won't be your mouse.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've had the logitech G7 for years and it has been a very good "wireless gaming" mouse. I personally don't notice any lag, but I generally play RTS and MMORPG games where tiny lag isn't an issue. I always use wired Keyboards, but not wired mice. I really can't stand wired mice.

Sadly, my G7 is starting to develop a double-click problem that has been reported a lot with this mouse. I think i'll check out the Sidewinder X8 to replace it. That charging system is pretty cool. On the G7, you have to remove a battery and swap it with the second battery, then put the dead battery back in the charger. Pretty annoying...especially when you have two dead batteries, and thus no mouse.

bka4u2c

Mar 17, 2006
I've had the logitech G7 for years and it has been a very good "wireless gaming" mouse. I personally don't notice any lag, but I generally play RTS and MMORPG games where tiny lag isn't an issue. I always use wired Keyboards, but not wired mice. I really can't stand wired mice.

Sadly, my G7 is starting to develop a double-click problem that has been reported a lot with this mouse. I think i'll check out the Sidewinder X8 to replace it. That charging system is pretty cool. On the G7, you have to remove a battery and swap it with the second battery, then put the dead battery back in the charger. Pretty annoying...especially when you have two dead batteries, and thus no mouse.

Same problem I had with my logitech mouse, double-clikcing instead of single. Love my X8 so far though.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
I don't have any problems with mine, and it's just a cheap logitech. The only problem that I really have with a wireless mouse is that it's too easy to throw it when I get upset with a game because it's not attached to anything. I threw my current mouse against the ground a week or so ago, and all of the pieces came apart and flew everywhere. After I re-assembled it and super glued it back together (the tabs that snap in on the back broke), it works just like new :)

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I use the logitech cordless wave combo on my desktop, and logitech vx on my laptops. I don't notice any lag with either of them. I've had no problem playing modern warfare 2 online or any other game for that matter. Also the batteries last for months.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I use a mx700 logitech mouse and while it does have lag to it to be perfectly honest it works good enough for me playing cod

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Let's say that the latency wasn't an issue and that the input latency introduced was so low you wouldn't notice it all. That might be true but then you might be a pro and that additional 1ms is a problem, but let's assume at least that the encoding so so good and fast that its basically wired.

Even in that circumstance wireless mice have a problem, battery weight. No matter what you do a wireless mouse is going to weigh more than wireless, and inertia is therefore going to be higher. It will take you longer to move it and its harder to deaccelerate it such that you end up on target. The batteries can often make up 50% additional weight, and its far from negligible as a problem.

The ideal mouse is flawless, can track at very high speeds precisely your movement, fits perfectly and weighs absolutely nothing while allowing you to rest your hand/arm weight on it. Wireless adds some lag and a lot of weight and reduces potential cable tangles, but modern mice come with better cabling as well. Its less of a problem with a tidy desk, a big mat and a decent cable on your mouse.

Last edited:

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Even for serious competitive gaming where every millisecond can matter?

give a serious competitive gamer a wireless mouse and he will still be competitive, it won't affect his performance to any noticeable degree

(that being said, if you're in that position and you think you need 1 ms better response on your mouse, too bad, you're sponsored and have to use the mouse given to you)

having a modern wireless will not make you worse at games

i use a wired mouse

oh and if you really care about a perfect mouse, get the g400, the sensor has no acceleration

my g9x has slight positive acceleration

Last edited:

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
give a serious competitive gamer a wireless mouse and he will still be competitive, it won't affect his performance to any noticeable degree

(that being said, if you're in that position and you think you need 1 ms better response on your mouse, too bad, you're sponsored and have to use the mouse given to you)

having a modern wireless will not make you worse at games

i use a wired mouse

oh and if you really care about a perfect mouse, get the g400, the sensor has no acceleration

my g9x has slight positive acceleration
I concur absolutely with this post. A large mousepad/clean desk will help you out more than going from a decent mouse to the best. From there fit is probably the next most important metric. Sensor performance/latency comes in a solid third.

Overclocking your monitor something small like 4Hz more than negates the latency from a good wireless mouse.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
I have a Logitech LX8 wireless mouse. Works fine. The USB receiver placement, can in some cases, be picky.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
My Logitech MX has been great. The mice for our laptops are great at what we use them for (also Logitechs). I think battery life has really improved on these over the years.

dehemke

Nov 17, 2004
I love them - won't used wired mice ever again.

For travel, I have use a long lasting Logitech MX Nano. This thing can go months between battery swaps.

I use Logitech G700s at both work (software development) and my home gaming rig.

I use a Razor Naga Ultimate on my home server - this mouse does suck, and I plan on replacing it with another G700. I just dont like the shape and feel, performance is fine, but battery life is weak.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
After browsing through all of this thread, I can conclude that the so-called lag in wireless mice only affects gamers. My wireless mouse has no batteries - it runs off of my Wacom digitizing pad. And, since I don't game it doesn't chupa.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Anyone who claims to notice lag on a good wireless mouse is full of shit.

I fully agree with this. Been using wireless for competitive gaming and casual alike, and never have been able to notice any lag between my hand movements and the movements of cursors/sights on-screen.

If you think you can tell the difference between a modern wired mouse and a wireless, you are crazy. And the weight issues? I posted in another thread how my Mamba weighs less than a G7 corded.

So much misinformation about wireless mice. With a good wireless mouse there is no lag, it is not heavy compared to wired, and you'll never lose a kill again because your cord got caught on the edge of your desk.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Eh...someone necro'ed this huh? I'll add to my previous comments then, I received a Razer Ouroboros about two months ago and it is absolutely fantastic! Hands down the best overall mouse I have ever used, wireless mode is perfect and I in fact prefer it to wired mode. It did take me about 3 weeks or so to really get comfortable with it though, and to some degree I'd still rather have this things internals stuffed into the R.A.T. 7/9's shell. I like the R.A.T.'s shape better than anything except perhaps the original Boomslang's, and the liftoff distance was perfect IMO, it's sensor's tracking could get a bit wonky on occasion though, thus the reason I bought the Ouroboros and it has not disappointed me one bit. I should note that I had an original R.A.T. 7, those sensor issues may be solved in the newer versions.

Bman123

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2008
I never got the point of wireless kb/mouse for desktop use. You have to worry about batteries, and lag for something that'll always be a cord-length away from your computer.

If you have an HTPC, then it's useful.

Pffft, that's why they make rechargeable batteries. I've been doing this for years now with the same set of batteries and charger. Sure a wired mouse is better but honestly I have gotten use to it over the years and it doesn't even bother me anymore