Question Do we still need wired keyboard and mouse the first time we turn on a DIY PC?

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
As far as I recall, many years ago we needed to physically connect wired keyboard and mouse to a DIY PC when we turned it on for the first time. What about these days? I plan to install Windows and Linux in a dual boot system.

I have bluetooth keyboard and Logitech mouse which uses a usb unifying receiver.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A BlueTooth keyboard should be OK for Windows' usage, but you'll need a USB or PS/2 keyboard to enter the BIOS/UEFI setup and configure the mobo for first boot, RAM speed, etc.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Don't think Logitech Unifying receivers work with bluetooth. It's only for Unifying wireless devices.

If you are using a Unifying mouse/keyboard combo, it will work once mouse/keyboard paired with the Unifying receiver.

Once Unifying devices were paired, they were paired, you can move the keyboard/mouse/receiver combo to other systems, and it works during booting process and in BIOS. (I have one)

Don't think bluetooth can do that, my experience is bluetooth only works after OS is running, not before.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Your microwave oven, Wi-Fi router, Bluetooth, smartphone, wireless keyboard / mouse etc all use wireless technologies in 2.4GHz range, but they all use different frequencies/bands/protocols. (Well, microwave excluded, it's for high energy cooking)

There is no Unifying Bluetooth stuff anywhere in the world.

Unifying uses Logitech's 2.4G proprietary wireless (not Bluetooth) technology.

Why don't you check Logitech website?
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/promotions/6072

The only Bluetooth keyboard mouse combo Logitech sells is MK850
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/combos?filters=3390

If you own this combo or any Bluetooth products, I bet you can't run Logitech's Unifying software to pair them.

Logitech sells wireless combo that can be Unifying or not. A combo does not make it a Unifying product.

Untitled.png

https://community.spiceworks.com/to...-bluetooth-into-unifying-adapter-for-logitech

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
"Logitech Unifying devices don't actually use standard Bluetooth. It's a proprietary 2.4 GHz signal similar to Bluetooth, but it's only going to work with a Unifying receiver".

Unfortunately this type of statement is prevalent on the NET.

It creates false verbal analogies that translates into factual reality.

It like, "How I use Smart car to transport a family of 6 in one trip"?

Cadillac is a "car" and can do it, so the Smart "car" should do it too.

:cool:

Reactions: mxnerd

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Jack is absolutely right. Just because it's in the same 2.4GHz range, doesn't make the technologies similar to each other.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The unifying system uses bluetooth to connect the mouse and kb to the usb port.
No it doesn't. It uses 2.4Ghz wireless. BlueTooth is also a form of 2.4Ghz wireless, but they are not the same.

A friend of mine keeps making this same sort of mistake.

This is somewhat double-compounded, by "BlueTooth Keyboards" from Logitech, that come with a Unifying Reciever in the bundle.

That does NOT mean that the Unifying reciever is BlueTooth, rather, it means that the keyboard is dual-mode, and can work with the included Unifying reciever (for PC applications), OR also with BlueTooth (say, your cell phone).

Reactions: mxnerd

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
No it doesn't. It uses 2.4Ghz wireless. BlueTooth is also a form of 2.4Ghz wireless, but they are not the same.

A friend of mine keeps making this same sort of mistake.

This is somewhat double-compounded, by "BlueTooth Keyboards" from Logitech, that come with a Unifying Reciever in the bundle.

That does NOT mean that the Unifying reciever is BlueTooth, rather, it means that the keyboard is dual-mode, and can work with the included Unifying reciever (for PC applications), OR also with BlueTooth (say, your cell phone).

This MX900 PERFORMANCE COMBO?
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx900-wireless-performance-combo?crid=1759

Yes, it comes with a Unifying receiver. Keyboard is Unifying only. Mouse is Unifying and Bluetooth.
The Unifying receiver only works with Unifying keyboard/mouse, but it's not Bluetooth like you said.

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Apology to @RLGL regarding MK850.

OK, I was wrong about MK850 combo, I thought it's Bluetooth only.

Actually it comes with Unifying receiver and a keyboard/mouse that can do both Bluetooth and Unifying.

But it's still different tech. If user use the keyboard/mouse in Bluetooth mode, it still can't operate in BIOS.

Reactions: VirtualLarry