• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Do we have a confirmed report of Iraq using banned weapons in this war?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Next time we will start a war because someone calls soccer football. We have invaded a country who has not been demonstrated to pose a threat to the US and has not been shown to be a credible threat to his neighbors since 91. Screw sanctions. Where is the proof that Iraq is an imminent threat to the US? Frickin Serbia has WMDs for crying out loud. Israel has broken how many UN sanctions? This is a goddam shooting war now. We are the aggressors, and in my opinion this is the darkest and most despicable act commited since the American Indians were brutalized. This would not have been a good case for severe punishment in a court of law, but we have committed our own Pearl Harbor. Dammit, people are dying because of this crap and the justification is that he didnt keep the paperwork.

Mark

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Im sure the US by the time this is over won't find any WMD, and when they don't, you can sure as hell bet they'll plant some somewhere in Iraq.

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mark
Im sure the US by the time this is over won't find any WMD, and when they don't, you can sure as hell bet they'll plant some somewhere in Iraq.

So even if WMD are found you already have made up your mind that they were planted.

Nice open mind you have there.

swifty3

Banned
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
It's been hinted at fairly broadly over the last week or two, but I have to admit I've been too busy to scour the Web and see if there are any definitive reports about whether Iraq's regime has used weapons that they should not have possession of in battle so far.

Do we have any proof yet of banned weapons, chemicals, factories, etc etc in our possession? I'm not looking for a flamewar, just links to proof. Thanks.
Hell no we don't, and u better pray that we find a motherload of "banned weapons" or our pre-emptive strike on a soveriegn nation will be for not.

DoctorPizza

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Morph, try to wrap your little troll brain around this fact. It was not the UN inspectors job to find banned weapons. It was Iraq's job to prove to the inspectors by full and complete cooperation that Iraq did not have any.
That is impossible.

I can't prove I have no WMDs. I can let you search my property all day long, and you won't find any. But that won't prove I have none -- it'll just prove that they're not where you're looking. I can say "I don't have any", and you can just say I'm lying.

Iraq did not do that.
Ira can't do that.

It was Iraq's last and final chance after twelve years of lies and deceit.
The ceasefire resolution was nullified by the UN's pisspoor handling of food and medical supplies for Iraq.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: DoctorPizza
Morph, try to wrap your little troll brain around this fact. It was not the UN inspectors job to find banned weapons. It was Iraq's job to prove to the inspectors by full and complete cooperation that Iraq did not have any.
That is impossible.
No, it's not. Saddam didn't even try to provide documentation showing that the known quantities of Anthrax and VX were destroyed.

I can't prove I have no WMDs. I can let you search my property all day long, and you won't find any. But that won't prove I have none -- it'll just prove that they're not where you're looking. I can say "I don't have any", and you can just say I'm lying.
If you had video/documentation showing you had destroyed items you were known to have then, yes, that would be proof.

Iraq did not do that.
Ira(Q) can't do that.
Yes, it can.

It was Iraq's last and final chance after twelve years of lies and deceit.
The ceasefire resolution was nullified by the UN's pisspoor handling of food and medical supplies for Iraq.
[/quote]
Oh...you mean, say, this food?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Hmm, "Official word" not confirmed but....

MSNBC Has "confirmed" terror toxins!

<snip>
The thick rubber boot twice tested positive for ricin, a toxin derived from castor beans. Ingesting a pinch of ricin, which causes shock and respiratory failure, can kill a human being within 72 hours. There is no cure.
<snip>
Cool, exactly one person responded to the actual original message. Not sure what to make of the article quite yet, but I guess the developing conclusions we can make are, if you choose to believe CNN/MSNBC/etc:

A) There is a link between the Hussein Iraqi regime through Ansar al-Islam and Al Qaeda in the form allowing the two groups to operate with impunity within Iraq.
B) Those groups likely received supplies to create the aforementioned chemical warfare agents through the Iraqi regime.

Any obvious flaws in those assumptions?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Hmm, "Official word" not confirmed but....

MSNBC Has "confirmed" terror toxins!

<snip>
The thick rubber boot twice tested positive for ricin, a toxin derived from castor beans. Ingesting a pinch of ricin, which causes shock and respiratory failure, can kill a human being within 72 hours. There is no cure.
<snip>
That's in Kurdish controlled Northen Iraq, Saddam has no influence there.

BaDaBooM

Golden Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: DeeKnow
I was supporting Bush all the way until now it begins to look a little dicey ... he's claimed all along Iraq's got the WMD stuff. First he cant provide proof... ok so you have to protect yr sources. then the proof he provides looks rather lame. now he's got half the damn country occupied, and the boys are almost at Baghdad airport - so if we still cant find the damned weqpons, where the hell are they ?

he's beginning to lose little credibility here, don't you think ?
Umm, why are you guys making this judgement at this time? Finding WMD is not the priority right now. Winning the war is. They do have some groups looking but the real search won't start until the regime is taken out.

DoctorPizza

Banned
Jun 4, 2001
Ansar al Islam aren't linked with the Iraqi government, and, as Islamic extremists (similar to Wahabbists, but not identical), probably aren't keen on Saddam's secular government. They are linked with al Qaeda and perhaps various Iranian and/or Kurdish groups.

There is a mess of different factions in the area all with their own desires. It is for the most part not desirable that any of them achieve their goals.

ASK THE COMMUNITY