Do virtual machines run even when you don't have them open?

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
Another question, is there a way for having multiple win 7 user accounts to run their own programs simultaneously?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

You can run them in the background.

If so, how many virtual os's can run simaltaeously?

It depends on how much RAM and CPU power you have.

Another question, is there a way for having multiple win 7 user accounts to run their own programs simultaneously?

Yes.

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013

You can run them in the background.

If so, how many virtual os's can run simaltaeously?

It depends on how much RAM and CPU power you have.

Yes.

Third question, how?

Naer

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2013
If I acquire a license for VMware workstation, can I use it on both my laptop and desktop?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Depends what you mean by "open" and what VM program you are using.

A server oriented software like ESXi (or whatever they call it these days, they keep changing the name) will run whether or not you leave the console up. The console is just a means of seeing it. Something like Virtualbox on the other hand, the vm will stop if you X out. (there are ways to run headless mode etc but I'm talking about default behaviour).

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If I acquire a license for VMware workstation, can I use it on both my laptop and desktop?

You'd need two separate VMware licenses, one for each machine. Also, you'll need OS licenses for any Windows OSes you are running on the virtual machines (unless you run them in trial mode using the rearm function and reinstall every 120 days).

If the free VMware Player doesn't meet your needs, you can also try Virtualbox.

Last edited:

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
If you have a Pro version of Windows 8/8.1/10, you can also use Hyper V as it's built right into the OS. You can enable it through Control Panel > Programs > Install/Remove Windows Features.