do undecided's really exist?

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I mean, how could you possibly not make up your mind at this point?

Are you middle class? Vote Democrat
Are you upper class? Vote Republican

Maybe I'm just silly for voting w/ my wallet

I don't believe people who say "I haven't made up my mind yet"

Can anyone convince me I am wrong?

Dec 10, 2005
There should be more to voting than just by your wallet. You should consider who you think will lead the country best, who will help to advance whatever you believe in the most, and other factors that I just don't feel like listing.

There are probably undecideds in that they favor one candidate for one set of ideals but the other for the remaining set. Those that don't feel like either candidate is great and are potentially looking into 3rd party candidates, etc...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Nobody can convince you you are wrong. If you were wrong your world would collapse into utter hopelessness and despair and you would understand that everything you believe, everything you were ever taught had value, everything that is good is empty and a lie.

And into that deep inescapable black anguish somewhere something would happen, a rock might fall, a temple bell might ring, a child might sing, and your mind could freeze, time would stop, your heart would beat and all the infinite love and joy you had ever hoped you'd get for your silly ego would flip you over off your head and on your feet to pour forth out of your hidden, secret, real being.

g8wayrebel

Nov 15, 2004
There are undecideds for a number of reasons.
Many long time democrats don't trust Obama but don't want to vote R.
Many Republicans don't care for McCains domestic waffling.
Some can't bring themselves to vote for a black man.
Many are voting R in protest of Hillary not being the nominee.
You name it , but there are many issues that could lead to undecided with the choices given.

For the record , not all people vote with their wallets.
I am definitely middle class and vote R most often.
I vote on principle and what's best for the city / state /country , not the typical narcissistic vote of many.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Nobody can convince you you are wrong. If you were wrong your world would collapse into utter hopelessness and despair and you would understand that everything you believe, everything you were ever taught had value, everything that is good is empty and a lie.

And into that deep inescapable black anguish somewhere something would happen, a rock might fall, a temple bell might ring, a child might sing, and your mind could freeze, time would stop, your heart would beat and all the infinite love and joy you had ever hoped you'd get for your silly ego would flip you over off your head and on your feet to pour forth out of your hidden, secret, real being.

It sounds like you're making great progress Moonie. Maybe you'll be able to admit you're wrong soon.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
I had pretty much given up on Senator McCain when he picked Sarah Palin for second chair and sealed the deal. It's still going to be hard to push that "Obama" button, come November 4, but third party alternatives don't look that much better.

Also, voting in SC, I don't know how much difference one non-Republican presidential ballot will make.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: mizzou
I mean, how could you possibly not make up your mind at this point?

Are you middle class? Vote Democrat
Are you upper class? Vote Republican

Maybe I'm just silly for voting w/ my wallet

I don't believe people who say "I haven't made up my mind yet"

Can anyone convince me I am wrong?

You're really trying to make two points here.

1) Everyone votes with their wallet (and thus should have decided by now)
2) There is an "obvious" choice depending on your economic status

I think the first is obviously wrong. Just because YOU vote with your wallet doesn't mean everyone does. Rich folks may tend to vote Republican, but not all of them do, a very significant minority vote Democratic on a regular basis. And for that matter, a lot of lower to middle class folks are fire breathing Republicans.

Your second argument kind of misses the point. Not only does everyone NOT vote just for economic interests, but they don't always do it for THEIR economic interests. There are plenty of folks who want to vote for more handouts and/or less taxes for them personally, but I think plenty of people look for policies that will benefit the economy as a whole, rather than just them personally.

That said, I think "undecided" voters, at least if they are STILL undecided, are pretty stupid. Your logic of who to vote for is kind of silly, but I think by this point most reasonable people should have been able to come up with SOME kind of reason to vote for one candidate or the other. You're not going to get any new information between here and election day, if you haven't made up your mind by now, I start to wonder.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Why do people keep thinking the middle class is more likely to support lower taxes for them and higher taxes for the rich? That's proven time and time again to be untrue.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I am still undecided...I was for McCain before Palin got thrown into the mix...I don't think she is ready for prime time quite yet.

But I also think Obama is more persona than leader, and I don't think he will be able to bring about the "change" he promises...although Biden's performance at the VP debate has given me greater confidence in their ticket.

However, I think both Obama and McCain are honorable men, and would do the office of the Presidency justice.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
I'm probably considered upper class, registered R, but I can't vote for mccain - i lived in AZ - saw what he did there - saw the looming effects of the S&L things there that he was a part of. Then there is his choice of a cutesy VP who just scares me that she would be allowed around world leaders. His attitudes to the press in AZ have changed ever since 2000. His attitude towards issues has changed since 2000. Just everything i have seen for the 16 or so years I've been able to understand politics hasn't felt right about the guy.

But then again can't bring myself to trust Obama either. After the rhetoric and talking points there is not much substance to his plans he can act upon at this point. His message is nice. His speaking voice is amazing. His VP choice is someone I can trust in the role he would be playing. But Obama is too new and without knowing who his cabinet will be or see who he surrounds himself with other than the current batch I just can't bring myself to fully back the guy.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I was leaning toward Obama but had (and still have) lots of reservations about him.

Then McCain picked Palin as his VP. Under no circumstances will I even consider voting for his ticket now. If McCain wanted to be a 'maverick' he shouldn't have picked Bush 2.0 to be his running mate. He showed a complete lack of judgment and responsibility with that decision, and since then he has made other questionable decisions.

As to the original question, I guess for most people there comes a tipping point when people finally make a decision. While mine was when McCain picked his VP, others may not have cared that much.