Do tinted windows bother you at night?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrScott81

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Go for the metallic tint (it can range from almost black looking to mirror looking depending on the brand)...it's more expensive but cool thing about it is that it still provides the same tint effect where people can't really see in, but from the inside you can see outside really easily....very different from normal black tint.

MrScott81

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Compton
se7enty7 is right, I didn't think about the rain. I can barely see anything backing up in bad weather.

As far as legality is concerned, here they'll pull you over and point guns at you for illegal tint. Then when they're sure you're not OJ, they'll give you a razor blade and make you scrape off all your tint right there in the street. If that happens you can kiss your rear defroster goodbye.

What are you talking about, the back windows can be as dark as you want them to be. ...the only ones that matter are the front three windows (front 2 and the windshield). My friend had limo tint (1%) on his F150...it looked really good, but driving at night was next to impossible

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Here is my VA-tinted car, 50% front and 35% rear, with Johnson metallic tint. Definitely go with the metallic. I have absolutely no problems seeing out at night, in fact it's a little too light. I used to drive a minivan that had 20% or less tint, that car was impossible to see out at night. If I were you, I'd get 35% in the front as well, even though it's illegal. A friend of mine has 35% all around and hasn't had a problem.

beyonddc

May 17, 2001
Yea, I'm thinking to get my windows tinted for my new car also. My old car had tinted windows and I loved it.
Car's headlight is getting very bright, and at night when they shine through my back windows it sucks so bad.

kami333

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
I had 18% on the back, 50% on the front two on my old car. Once I get my new car I'll do it again.

If you have a hard time backing out, upgrade your backup lights. Works wonders.

Oct 9, 1999
If you dont want anyone to see inside your car get 20%. I have 20% on my windshield, 20% on front and 20% plus mirror tint(from when I bught it) on the back windows. You cant see in that thing with a flashlight. I have two kc's on the back to tied to my reverse lights so they turn on when I put it in reverse. Cant complain one bit.

heres a pic of the windshield tint, I hav some on top and bottom of the windshield.

WINDSHIELD TINT
ANOTHER SHOT OF SIDE AND FRONT
ONE MORE OF FRONT

Nevada

Aug 7, 2002
i have 20% on my accord coupe. it can be difficult to see in some dark areas. also at night, i sometimes have to roll down my windows just to reverse.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: derrickperry
If you dont want anyone to see inside your car get 20%. I have 20% on my windshield, 20% on front and 20% plus mirror tint(from when I bught it) on the back windows. You cant see in that thing with a flashlight. I have two kc's on the back to tied to my reverse lights so they turn on when I put it in reverse. Cant complain one bit.

heres a pic of the windshield tint, I hav some on top and bottom of the windshield.

WINDSHIELD TINT
ANOTHER SHOT OF SIDE AND FRONT
ONE MORE OF FRONT

Don't care for the tint on the windshield, but damn, that is dark! That's the way I wish my car could be, but the MAN won't let it happen. The dumbest thing is that in VA, your truck's rear windows would be legal, because for some reason, pickups and SUV's can have as much tint in the rear as they want. This doesn't apply to passenger cars.:|

Oct 9, 1999
well I think most states require vehicle inspection?? I know texas does and the pigs will cut your tint at the spot. I guess theres a few reasons to live in arkansas after all....

Well I got it because I had a few K's in audio equipment in there during highschool. dont even have a deck in there now. GOing to buy a 4 door tahoe in a few months and put 18s and be done with, and some tint. Im done with car systems, not worth the time or money unless your in competition.

If your state doesnt require inspection dude, get whatever tint you want, if/when you get pulled over, tell them you bought it like that. I got the front strip on bottom for 30 bucks I think.

GL

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
State Window Tint Laws

Not all states are the same. Not at all. And some enforced their laws strictly (east coast typically) while others are very lax (west coast).

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have 20%, and it can be difficult to navigate around when it's completely dark (i.e. no streetlights), but other than that it's fine.

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
My Bravada(white btw :)) has tinted windows, don't know what %, but at night it is a tad difficult to see out the rear window. Makes it a little tough to back up.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
I used to have a pretty dark tint when I lived in FL years ago and it never bothered me much. I have no tint on my vehicle now but my wife does. Hers is really dark too but I am not certain of the percentage. It's great during sunny days but in bad weather or at night it really gets irritating because it's hard to see. I have to roll the windows down sometimes.

I would no longer want a dark tint but a lighter one more to keep the interior cooler than people from looking in. I know I don't want a dark tint anymore due to the pain in the ass factors for me.