Do tinted windows bother you at night?

xizor

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2000
Thinking about putting a 35% tint on my car (maximum here in VA). But I've never ridden nor drove a tinted car and wonder what its like at night.

xizor

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2000
thanks mod, happens when you look to buy stuff and think of something totally different

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I have tinted windows on the Trans Am. I didn't do it, they were like that when I got it. They kind of suck at night, makes it a bit difficult to see, IMO.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Nope. I have 32% black on my car and it doesn't bother me a bit at night. In fact, I think the tint is a little too light.
Now my old car had 15% black and that was too much... on dark rainy nights, I had to roll down the windows at intersections.

Make sure you get it professionally done with quality tint that has a lifetime warranty, and do not tint your windshield except for 6" eyebrow on the top (I know that sounds obvious but I've seen many idiots who tinted their whole windshields).

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
in crappy lit areas.. its really hard to see

35% isnt to dark... but if you go in the 20% range be prepared to roll down your windows lol

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I love my tinted side windows at night. Pickup is 35%, car has no side tint. Car drives me NUTZ with headlights in the side mirror, never have that problem with the tinted windows. As far as seeing out, never been a problem.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
They also make those wide-angle rearview mirrors that clip onto the stock one especially for tint. They're brighter so when you look at the mirror its almost like there isn't any tint. I like mine.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: NutBucket
They also make those wide-angle rearview mirrors that clip onto the stock one especially for tint. They're brighter so when you look at the mirror its almost like there isn't any tint. I like mine.
Don't think I'll get that. The very reason I have tint is because those damned SUVs blind me through my mirrors when they pull up behind me at a stoplight.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
Originally posted by: xizor
Thinking about putting a 35% tint on my car (maximum here in VA). But I've never ridden nor drove a tinted car and wonder what its like at night.

You should be fine at 35%. That's what I have, except for my back window is 20%. I've never had a problem seeing. It'll really help out when you have people tailgating you with their brights on.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Yea, especially since i deliver pizzas at night and have to resort to rolling down both windows to spot an address. :frown:

xizor

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2000
sounds good, I'm wondering if anyone has tinted their front window? I see Vic says its dumb, just wondering if anyone has had experiences w/ it.

here's some example pics of my car w/ tint link. And it looks like it has front window tinting.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Tinting front window in any capacity beyond 6" (I think) from the top is illegal in almost all (if not all) states, I believe. That car's windshield probably looks tinted because all of the other windows in the car are tinted rather dark.

One thing though, as has been stated, use good high quality tint. Whoever did my windows used cheap crap and the sun faded it from black to a rather silly looking purplish color :(. I have to get them redone at some point.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
ive got 20% on the front roll downs and 5% on the back 5 of my F150. the only time it really bothers me is when im trying to back up a trailer and it's dark out, thats when the window goes down :) other than that i love them. (btw i started with 35 up front and decided to go a notch darker, glad i did)

would like to put a layer of 50 or 65% on the windsheild, but i'm not sure about that one yet ;)

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
Um, I have 20%. It's completely fine for me except when backing up while it's raining. I have to roll the windows down, and it SUCKS

Also keep in mind, that you have to leave your windows up for a couple days after they tint it.

Go for it. I'd get 20-25%.. no higher or lower than that.

I've been pulled over once, and the cop made a HUGE deal about how I don't have to worry about it, he was just "making sure everything is okay" (checking license/insurance)

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
No, I had tint in my previous car (a sports coupe) and have tint in my current SUV. I like the tint because my vehicles' color were black so the tints made them look nicer. It also provide some decent privacy :)

BTW, nice car. I sure missed my Prelude.

Confused

Elite Member
Nov 13, 2000
I need to get the windows tinted on my car...

White car + tinted windows = :cool:

Confused

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
se7enty7 is right, I didn't think about the rain. I can barely see anything backing up in bad weather.

As far as legality is concerned, here they'll pull you over and point guns at you for illegal tint. Then when they're sure you're not OJ, they'll give you a razor blade and make you scrape off all your tint right there in the street. If that happens you can kiss your rear defroster goodbye.