Do these shoes go with a black suit?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
If you want to save money and be a hipster at the same time, you can buy Converse Chuck Taylors for $50 or less. Not sure if serious... but it's a thought.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Buy a pair of shoes that will last you a lifetime and be in-style forever - Sure they are gonna cost you $200 on sale from what is normally $300+ but your feet will thank you and everyone will know you are not basement dwelling neckbeard.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/black-friday-sale/sale-shoes/ The Sanford for $199 is a great deal.

I own 6-pairs of AE's and have worn through the soles of a few but the leather is still like butter. It will be the last pair of dress shoes you buy, just take care of them by using cedar shoe trees and a good wax/polish. I

Good advice. I prefer an Italian leather sole shoe myself. Something along the lines of this.

http://www.paulfredrick.com/shop/shoes/product=FHL100D

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Buy a pair of shoes that will last you a lifetime and be in-style forever

http://www.allenedmonds.com/sale/black-friday-sale/sale-shoes/ The Sanford for $199 is a great deal.

I own 6-pairs of AE's and have worn through the soles of a few but the leather is still like butter. It will be the last pair of dress shoes you buy, just take care of them by using cedar shoe trees and a good wax/polish. I
The shoes you linked are only in style if you are a country hick in your 70s. Terrible pattern. Patent leather is for black tie events and children. Yuck.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The shoes you linked are only in style if you are a country hick in your 70s. Terrible pattern. Patent leather is for black tie events and children. Yuck.

I don't think those are patent leather. Just regular shine calfskin. I've been to the Allen Edmonds stores and most of their shoes are shined just right. They are very high quality.

Also that cap toe pattern is classic and stylish, nothing hickish about it. But generally I prefer a slightly simpler cap toe like the one I linked earlier in the thread, without that extra pattern on the toe. I think it's called the brogue. Simpler like this one: I prefer the cleaner look.

Punched-captoes-Cleverley-The-Journal-of-Style.jpg

Last edited:

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012

That's an absolutely timeless design. And that's not patent leather. Beautiful shoe.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Er, you replied to the wrong post, right? Because nothing you said fits the shoe Dr. Detroit posted.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It's an investment because AE's will last pretty much forever.

That's what they say, and I believe them having read the reviews for Allen Edmonds.

But I have a couple pairs of Massimo Mateo Cap Toes I found on Zappos that had good reviews. A double monk shoe, couple random pairs of dress shoes, a couple pairs of nice boots. They are all very comfortable so I'll wear some of them out then go and actually try on Allen Edmonds. Only when they have one of their good sales though. Not paying full price :)

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
It's an investment because AE's will last pretty much forever.

I can say that the 4 pairs of AEs I've owned have been worth the money. That's not to say there aren't other good shoe brands out there, but I've been very happy with the quality of the AEs - rock solid, and just requires some minor maintenance (polish, shoe trees).

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
I can say that the 4 pairs of AEs I've own have been worth the money. That's not to say there aren't other good shoe brands out there, but I've been very happy with the quality of the AEs - rock solid, and just requires some minor maintenance (polish, shoe trees).

Yup and even if you abuse them a lot over time, they'll recraft your shoes too.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/our-story/recrafting.html

Reactions: foghorn67

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
No,
get the jcpenny Deacon wingtip boots in black,that should goes well with your black suit. I would recommend getting a navy blue or charcoal suit for the wedding, instead of black suit; since black suit is more of a funeral suit than wedding in my opinion.

http://www.jcpenney.com/stafford-deacon-mens-wingtip-leather-boots/prod.jump?ppId=pp5004560043&catId=WebIds&searchTerm=deacon boots

The charcoal and navy suits from the same suit line were too light for my liking so I'm going with black. I'm also not a boot person. =\

Edit: Colors available below

zYKYi26.png

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I don't think those are patent leather. Just regular shine calfskin.
Looked like patent leather on my cell phone. Sorry about the confusion. It is a horribly out of style pattern though. Looks like it belongs with ironed dark blue jeans and a giant belt buckle.

Art&Science

Nov 28, 2014
If you aren't the groom, the father of the bride, or a groomsman, you can show up naked. No one will be looking at you.

Also, sharpie will take care of the tan part.

Well I tend to agree, no one will be looking at him, it's no excuse not to look your best. My biggest grip these days is how sloppy and casual people have become.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
It's my sister's wedding so I think I will have some part in it. I'm not from Kentucky so I won't be the groom.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Many people these days wear dress shoes to little more than weddings and funerals. They probably don't need $300 shoes that will last 30 years and be resoled a dozen times. If you actually want to spend that kind of money for a pair of shoes that you'll wear once a year, more power to you, but it's probably not the wisest investment.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
I'm not looking to spend $300 but I wear dress shoes to work erry day.

You wear dress shoes every day and you don't have a pair of black shoes to wear with a suit? Is everything you own brown? I'm not sure we're talking about quite the same thing.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm not looking to spend $300 but I wear dress shoes to work erry day.

The Massimo Mateos I linked on the previous page are very nice for $127.99 - I bought them at $150 and they were a solid purchase then. Read a lot of dress shoe reviews before I found that brand listed as one of the better for more affordable dress shoes.

They are true dress shoes with a quality leather sole, not rubber, that's fine in wet weather. You Just don't want to wear them if you'll be walking on a lot of ice. And you want your dress shoe to have a leather sole. Just looks better and they make the proper sound when walking.