Do strategy games make you smarter?

kbm5

Banned
Feb 22, 2001
As I was just browsing through the thread regarding Axis & Allies I got to thinking about the subject question.

Does playing strategy games increase your intellegence? Chess, checkers, backgammon, Risk, Axis & Allies, or -- heck -- even a RTS such as Starcraft or a Turn-based game like Civilization require some degree of planning, strategizing, using the brain, etc... etc...

Even though the mind is being entertained with such games, it nevertheless is being used in a positive way. Am I on the money, or am I just thinking too hard on this one?

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
i'd say yes.
it teaches you logic, resource management, negotiation skills, and strategy.

-M.T.O

kbm5

Banned
Feb 22, 2001

<< NO, but it does strengthen your deduction skills. >>

And wouldn't that in turn make you smarter?

obiwaynekenobi

Golden Member
May 18, 2001
I would think that it does.

like for example
Red alert (yes the oringal) forces you to desing new stragites by making your previous ones nearly impossible. you go in with an air strike and they put up sam sites. etc..

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
Of course. They allow you to think up solutions to everchanging situations. This comes in handy because your mind will be adapted to thinking in this way, so when you need to in real life, you'll find it easier than those who haven't exercised their brains as strategy games would.

Texmaster

Banned
Jun 5, 2001

<< As I was just browsing through the thread regarding Axis &amp; Allies I got to thinking about the subject question.

Does playing strategy games increase your intellegence? Chess, checkers, backgammon, Risk, Axis &amp; Allies, or -- heck -- even a RTS such as Starcraft or a Turn-based game like Civilization require some degree of planning, strategizing, using the brain, etc... etc...

Even though the mind is being entertained with such games, it nevertheless is being used in a positive way. Am I on the money, or am I just thinking too hard on this one?
>>

People who enjoy strategy games are already geniuses anyway right? :D

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
no, according to an article on msn encarta. the topic was about if chess really makes a person smarter. in a psychological experiment, a control group was left alone to do whatever they wanted to do. in the experimental group, they were told to learn and play chess. when testing the two groups, there were insignificant improvements in logical thinking for the experimental group..insignificant being the key word. psychologists think that those people who enjoy critical and logical thinking naturally turn towards game like chess and strategy games and that's why we get the impression people who play chess are smart.

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
Yea, correlation does not mean there's causation. Good point made in that article there. Lots of times, especially if you watch shows like Dateline and the like, you'll notice that a lot of points are made because of mere correlation. If you just think, you can find holes for most things presented.

Buddhist

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2000
the above case is chess alone. however, strategy games in general i do believe assist in becoming &quot;smarter&quot; in negotiation, strategy (tactical, overall),management of personnel as well as resources and logic.

-M.T.O

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
Well, think multitasking in a stressful environment. Most games, you're managing your 2-3 types of resources, battling many enemies, maybe making alliances, learning another language (say Korean) to talk smack to them, etc.. these skills do come in handy.

johneetrash

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
well, they only would if you were good in the game, or at least know what you should have done and learn from it...

dOrKuS

Jun 19, 2001
I sure hope they have some positive impact, thats how I justify the hours I spend playing them. I think there is some truth in the idea that smarter people do drift towards strategy games instead of first person shooters or the like. (UT is still one of the greatest games ever though!!!)

bigbootydaddy

Banned
Sep 14, 2000
OH COME ON!!
of course it does, or at the very least, it keeps your mind always thinking, which is always good (read: less cobwebs)
like in starcraft, you know the terrans are doing that newbie stuff from a low record a player has, so you get long range air to kill the choke he has at the opening of his base, then drop something on his minerals while he is distracted.

deduction sounds about right.

ucdnam

Golden Member
Jan 28, 2000
You're wasting your time if you're gonna go long range air and mess with a newbie. Do a quick rush with whatever and it's over. It's been awhile since I've played, but they'll cry to mommy with a zergling or lurker rush and good ol' zealot and goon rush. Being a newbie, they'll prob have few harvesters and maybe a supply depot when you arrive. They'll instinctly lift off and maybe even disconnect on you. Terrans are impossible for newbies.

CinderElmo

Jun 23, 2000
I think one of the reasons that keeps me playing games like Quake II Capture the Flag (or any other CTF FPS) is that your brain is on overdrive CONTINUOUSLY while you are playing. You have to make critical decisions regarding defense, cover fire, complex routing, resource (ammo) management and acquisition, and all the while keeping in contact with your mates AND fighting a war. Beats the hell out of letting your brain whittle away in front of the TV.

Same goes for turn-based strategy such as Civ II. How many of us have spent hours conspiring and planning for resource/scientific development just so we could successfully fight a 3-front war. When there are hundreds of units and cities to consider your brain is constantly in thought and while not making you smarter per se, it hones your reasoning skills IMO.

Finally, I agree with the statement that many of us &quot;brainiac&quot; types have a natural inclination toward brain-intensive games. How many started with Dungeons&amp;Dragons, went on to strategy war games (like those from Avalon Hill), played similar games on the old Atari (M.U.L.E. and such), then moved on to the Civilization-type empire building games...am I smarter because of them? Probably not, but then again...it does teach about diplomacy, sharing, imagination, history, etc. so maybe we can't dismiss them altogether as educational tools.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
If they do... they haven't helped me much :( I'm still as dumb as they come.

Truthfully though... playing strategy games have not really helped me in any real life situation. Maybe i'm just a freak example.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Damn! I play Age of Kings nearly every weekend. Still #1 in RTS's in my book!! Nothing else EVER came close.

amish

Kosugi

Jan 9, 2001

I'd have to say yes.

Though Chess is actually not a good inicator, imo. Chess has very defined rules, and benfits the person who can &quot;see&quot; moves several turns in the future. There is very little abstraction in Chess. One of my former chess players was excellent, yet dumb as a rock.

Computer games force you to abstract more, since the rules are less structured. This is where creative thought kicks in, and this is when your schemas can change, thus making you smarter.

FiDo14DiDo

Apr 7, 2000
Yes it does. Now I know how to make overlords and use them to detect cloaked enemies. Real life translation: get caller ID to avoid telemarketers.

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
Of course it does. Why do you think I've been playing strategy games all my life when I should have been studying?:)

Actually, after a certain age(possibly quite young), I don't know if there is anything you can do to get smarter. You can utilize more of your intelligence and become sharper and quicker.. whether you can actually get smarter...