Do Slim PS3's have the same problem's as the fatties?

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Hey all;

I recently posted about my 40GB fat PS3 which has a YLOD/flashing red light issue. After to talking to a few repair guys they have said the PS3 needs to be "reballed" and I am probably better off selling it as is and getting a new one. Does anyone know if the overheating/YLOD issues have been resolved with the new slim model PS3's? I have done some googling, but haven't found anything conclusive yet.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Every console of newer generations can/will have this problem over time. It's a fact of life with electronic wear and tear with high-speed surface mount CPUs and GPUs. Some will be mitigated better and last longer than others.

The PS3 Slims will be better due to newer process and better cooling, but it's still possible over time.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
My fat model which I bought brand new died in < 3 years. I know they won't last forever, but that's obscene.

Krynj

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2006
I've read of some that get the YLoD, and part of me wonders how well maintained these failed systems were. Despite having a slim PS3, I keep it in a well ventilated area, clean/dust the entertainment center almost daily, and I use some air duster once or twice on the PS3.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
My fat model which I bought brand new died in < 3 years. I know they won't last forever, but that's obscene.

Each console has stories of failures < 3 years. It isn't uncommon at all.

Luckily my 60gb fat is running just fine.

Both my Wii and 360 died within one or two years, though.

It seems like a crapshoot...

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Weird both my fat 60GB launch PS3 are still going fine. I didn't know they had heat issues...they get hot but not hotter than the 360s.

Meanwhile I have RROD 6 X360s......

Wii was just...yea I never went there.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
My fat 60gb died last year. I replaced it with a slim after numerous semi-successful repairs. I'm considering getting it reballed. Maybe turn it into a modding project. Watercooling would be an interesting experiment.

Heat is the number one enemy of electronics. The Xbox 360 and PS3 both suffer from the same problem. In other words, what causes the RRoD is the same thing that causes the YLoD. Tin is a less than ideal metal to use for soldering high heat components. It melts at a lower temperature than lead does, and gets brittle with repeated heatups and cool downs.

Both the Xbox and PS3 use PowerPC processors. Apple actually watercooled their PPC G5 systems because the chips were notoriously hot. The G4 Cube also had cooling issues. Most PCs run cool because they have big cases with lots of air volume and airflow. Compact systems use lower voltage "mobile" variants. Lower voltage systems produce less heat and consume less power, but usually aren't as powerful. Compact systems typically aren't used for demanding tasks either.

Both the Xbox and PS3 use high voltage processors. Early 360s died because their cooling system were inadequate.The PS3 has the added problem of an internal power supply, which gets quite hot. To negate that, Sony put a giant fan in the fat systems. It merely prolongs the inevitable though. A few hot, humid summer days, dusty rooms, and enclosed entertainment cabinets will put it in an early grave.

To fix this, you shrink down. Transistors that is. Smaller transistors are more efficient, and produce less heat. The original PS3s used a 90nm process, while the slim is 45nm. This meant a huge reduction in electricity consumption, and an equally noticeable reduction in heat.

That's the long way of saying the Slims are considerably less prone to failure.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i wasn't aware my 60gb launch has problems ... could you enlighten me what they are so i could resolve them?

thank you.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Even a 2&#37; failure rate after 3 years still means a million dead PS3s, including yours.

It's luck of the draw. My launch 60GB from 2006 is still fine, though running louder since I've never opened it up to clean it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
To fix this, you shrink down. Transistors that is. Smaller transistors are more efficient, and produce less heat. The original PS3s used a 90nm process, while the slim is 45nm. This meant a huge reduction in electricity consumption, and an equally noticeable reduction in heat.

Don't smaller transistors usually have worse leaking problems?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
every product has stories of failures. Lets talk high end mobo's, i've had several die on me.
my fatty has been going strong now for a couple of years.