Do people give alcohol or liquor as gifts?

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
i wanted to get something nice for a mentor i have at school. we're cool, but not super close or anything. i know he parties and drinks a lot. just wondering if alcohol would be a good gift idea.

i don't know sht when it comes to alcohol. any suggestions? wine or hard liquor?

thanks

totalcommand

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2004
Originally posted by: deejayshakur
i wanted to get something nice for a mentor i have at school. we're cool, but not super close or anything. i know he parties and drinks a lot. just wondering if alcohol would be a good gift idea.

i don't know sht when it comes to alcohol. any suggestions? wine or hard liquor?

thanks

usually wine.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No, if the recipient likes it, they don't need it. Get a gift certificate to a music or book store or something like that.

kmrivers

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
So you are going to say "Hey, thanks for being my mentor. I know you like to drink so here is some liquor!"

You might as well say "I know you are an alcoholic, here is something to feed your addiction!"

Alcohol is a bad gift if you are not really close with someone. If you were having a nice dinner at his place, then a bottle of wine would be nice. For party, sure bring something hard.

If none of these situations are involved. Then i would get something else for him.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: bradruth
A mentor who parties and drinks a lot...interesting.

ok, i should have rephrased it.

he's a part-time deejay and so i assume he drinks while he's doing his thing.

i was thinking of something like hennesy...is that stuff classy? my parents have a bottle sitting at home from a family friend.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: KarmaPolice
what do you mean by mentor?

he's 1 year ahead of me in medical school. has given me a lot of good advice as far as doing well in classes and training programs and such.

DainBramaged

Lifer
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: bradruth
A mentor who parties and drinks a lot...interesting.

ok, i should have rephrased it.

he's a part-time deejay and so i assume he drinks while he's doing his thing.

i was thinking of something like hennesy...is that stuff classy? my parents have a bottle sitting at home from a family friend.

If you're black.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

he's 1 year ahead of me in medical school. has given me a lot of good advice as far as doing well in classes and training programs and such.

nah i wouldnt go for the alchohol. Kinda makes it like you want him to drink...or you know he likes to drink..A LOT.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: kmrivers
So you are going to say "Hey, thanks for being my mentor. I know you like to drink so here is some liquor!"

You might as well say "I know you are an alcoholic, here is something to feed your addiction!"

As someone who plays computer games for more than twelve hours at a time, I would not be offended in the least if someone got me a computer game for a present. Why would it be any different with alcohol?

kmrivers

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
Originally posted by: kmrivers

As someone who plays computer games for more than twelve hours at a time, I would not be offended in the least if someone got me a computer game for a present. Why would it be any different with alcohol?

Personally I would not give someone alcohol, unless i was very close to them.

You obviously want video games because you spend so much time playing them, plus you just stated that you would not be offended. Just because this guy parties and drinks doesn't mean he want to be given alcohol.

I am not saying he should be offended or will be. There is a chance he could be though.

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000

nah i wouldnt go for the alchohol. Kinda makes it like you want him to drink...or you know he likes to drink..A LOT.

i know he throws down a few drinks after a long day of studying, so i figured i could get him something good. but maybe not. gift cards sound tacky. more suggestions?

is hennessy really gifts black people give black people? what about asians? white people?

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
gift cards sound tacky.

You're absolutely right, gift cards are just plain tacky. Let's see what could you get him that's not tacky...um...let's see...how about...no...wait, I know...BOOZE!

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Dude, it's fine. Give the man alcohol. The following are acceptable:

Grey Goose or Belvedere Vodka
Amaretto DiSaronno
Johnnie Walker Scotch (can't remember if green or blue label is the best, but I think it's green).

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Don't get a gift certificate. That's the ultimate "I gotta get you something but am too lazy to figure out what you might like" present. If you KNOW he likes a particular brand of scotch, then a bottle of that might be nice, but it should be specific.

KarmaPolice

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004

i know he throws down a few drinks after a long day of studying, so i figured i could get him something good. but maybe not. gift cards sound tacky. more suggestions?

is hennessy really gifts black people give black people? what about asians? white people?

ok if you have drinks with him once and a while and you know he is a control drinker it would seem find. really you gotta play this by ear and what you know of the guy. If the guy likes to drink some alchohol because of the taste..and he appretiates a certain type...then i would go buy him a nice bottle of wine or some hard liquor thats real nice.

not a case of beer lol

"Hey mentor..LOOK WHAT I GOT *pull out a case of naddy* lets get crunk!"

deejayshakur

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2000
Originally posted by: JohnCU
Dude, it's fine. Give the man alcohol. The following are acceptable:

Grey Goose or Belvedere Vodka
Amaretto DiSaronno
Johnnie Walker Scotch (can't remember if green or blue label is the best, but I think it's green).

thank you.

i admit, it would be better if i knew exactly what he likes but i don't.

any red wine suggestions? i was never thinking of beer, no.

middlehead

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: dartworth
Some top shelf xxxxx...
Top shelf anything should be fine. A quality scotch that he can sip away at for a while sounds like a good plan.