DO NOT apply "Goo Gone" to an LCD when you're cleaning it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
I just thought I'd share this little tid bit I discovered while trying to clean my file-servers monitor today. Goo Gone cleaning agent does not play well with LCD panels. Check out the pictures below. It somehow seeped into the different layers of the LCD panel causing some discoloration.

Picture 1 (The Product)

Picture 2 (The Results)

Picture 3 (The Results)

Picture 4 (The Results)

Fortunately it is just a shaddy monitor that only needs to display, color is not relevant but still it would suck if someone out there tried this on a nice panel.

krotchy

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Goo gone is awesome, but I never wipe anything electronic with anything but electronics wipes.

also goo gone is an oil based cleaner, so it shouldn't be used in ALOT of places that people use it

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com
I'd have to agree. Goo Gone works great for getting sticker residue and various other grunge off of hard surfaces, but I will definitely be more careful about what I spray it on in the future.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You sprayed it directly on the LCD? Why not spray it on the edge of a soft cloth and then wipe things down?

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004
Nooooo! thats just sad:(

And for future reference don't use it on anything that has a protective coating, like high dollar sunglasses, cellphone screens, etc..... or is made of plastic

Goo gone or any solvent should only be used on glass.

Bob Anderson

Aug 28, 2006
Originally posted by: John
You sprayed it directly on the LCD? Why not spray it on the edge of a soft cloth and then wipe things down?

-------------------

Exactly. Never spray anything directly on to an LCD screen. 9 times out of 10, a soft damp with water cloth or quality paper towel is all that is required, because your screen isn't actually dirty, just dusty. If it is dirty, then follow the initial damp cloth removal with a very mild solution of liquid hand dish soap, followed by at least two damp water cloth applications to remove any soap residue. Spending money on fancy LCD cleaners is a waste. Fancy cleaners were worthwhile in the CRT era because they stopped static buildup. LCD's do not build up static, because the exterior layer of an LCD is not glass.

The point is to never allow any moisture to seep into the LCD's frame, and never put any but the mildest pressure on the screen itself.

-Bob

phaxmohdem

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2004
www.avxmedia.com

Goo Gone actually doesn't work too well sprayed on a cloth. You have to let it soak into the gunk for a little bit for it to work its magic. Plus since it is oil based it doesn't not like to come out of the cloth/paper towel once its on there.

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: phaxmohdem
Goo Gone actually doesn't work too well sprayed on a cloth. You have to let it soak into the gunk for a little bit for it to work its magic. Plus since it is oil based it doesn't not like to come out of the cloth/paper towel once its on there.
Use a paper towel then so you can chunk it once you're finished. WD-40 also removes gunk and adhesives, and it will not harm an LCD. I've also used Simple Green on some LCD's that looked like p00p, then followed it up with some SprayWay glass cleaner. SprayWay is a kickass product!

Nathelion

Jan 30, 2006
I personally know a ton of people who've used Windex to clean their LCDs. Way to go, everything is cast in different tones of yellow after that. I try to warn them, but...

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
DO NOT apply "Goo Gone" to an LCD when you're cleaning it!
Aw man, there goes my whole plan for the evening! :(

Tip: use nitrile gloves and good ventilation when using Goo Gone. That stuff ain't good for you.

Ken90630

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2004
Originally posted by: rise
WD-40 also removes gunk and adhesives, and it will not harm an LCD.
that surprises me.
Me too. :Q WD-40 will dissolve superficial rust off of metal parts, so there's no way I'd use it on an LCD that has a polarized (anti-glare) coating on it. Maybe on a monitor's glass screen, but polarized? I dunno ....

A simple $3 bottle of Office Depot brand or 3M LCD cleaner paired with a lint-free cloth would seem like a safer bet to me. Just my $.02.

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
I do not let anything but dust get on mine and a gentle wipe down with a swiffer cloth is what I generally do.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ouch, i just use 50% rubbing alcohol.

good to know, i got some goobe gone too, good stuff to have aorund.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
what could you possibly have gotten on your lcd that would require goo gone to remove?

on second thought, don't answer that.

edit: and learn to resize your pics.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: phaxmohdem
Originally posted by: fisher
edit: and learn to resize your pics.

Ahhh a little scrolling never hurt anyone.... The incredible 40KB/s upload speed of my web server on the other hand...

Don't worry. I still think you're 1337.

RollWave

Diamond Member
May 20, 2003
Any advice for getting elmers spray glue off the LCD or a matte lcd screen?

Please don't resurrect 7 year old threads
-ViRGE

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.