Do moving trucks need to stop at weigh stations in CA??

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Going to be moving to SD. I'm getting mixed answers online and from the truck rental and the DMV has me on hold for the last 30 min.

Am I legally supposed to stop at the weigh stations when driving a moving truck (2 axle)?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
From U-Haul's website:

On my move, do I need to stop at the weigh stations along the way?

Requirements may vary from state to state and throughout Canada. Each weigh station has a sign that says what you are required to do; just obey the signs. Normally U-Haul customers moving their own household goods are not required to stop, because this is not a commercial move. However, if a truck is over a certain weight it may be required to stop regardless of what is being carried.

When I moved from Los Angeles to San Diego I rented a 26' truck and don't recall stopping at the weigh station...that was back in 1997 so I may not be remembering it correctly.

You could try calling:
Caltrans Legal Truck Size & Weight Work Group
Casey Robb
Manuel Fonseca
General number (916) 654-5741

Or check this website and see if you can find an answer to your question there: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/

Last edited:

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Yes, although if you pass a weigh station, they may not pursue you out of the Weigh Station, just pull you over down the road. And THEN pull all of your stuff out for a search.
There will be major weigh stations that will be marked ALL TRUCKS including Rental and Local Delivery must exit. Failure to exit invites close scrutiny.
Don't carry any weed you can't eat in one swallow.
Act like a law-abiding civilian, and they will most likely just wave you through.
If you're coming from the East, there will be intense scrutiny down by the border, coming from the North down I-5, not so much. Just watch your speed. State is broke and speeding tickets are easy money.;
CHP loves to make examples of people on the road.
Good Luck, happy motoring.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weigh-stations/stopping.htm

There's no actual answer to your question there however...:p

Call the CHP, not the DMV.

(if the truck is small, I don't think you have to stop (no stop required...just slow down to about 5 mph and drive over the scales...then continue on your journey) in Kahleeforneeya, but you IIRC, a few of the other states will require you to pass over the scales.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Yea I called 311 and the rental place to ask as well and they told me that the weighing is for commercial trucks only. So I don't know who to believe. :(

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Yea I called 311 and the rental place to ask as well and they told me that the weighing is for commercial trucks only. So I don't know who to believe. :(
If you don't believe the sign that saysALL trucks, including RENTAL & Local Delivery must exit then you're a fool who needs to be stopped, and made an example of on the side of the road.
The guy at the rental house won't be paying your ticket for you.
Their job is to rent you a truck, not protect you from yourself.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Looks like you got the info, but I thought I'd try to contribute anyway.

I moved last December and had a 26" Penske to do so with. I don't remember the exact CA site we saw it on, but it did say because of the size of our truck we did have to stop at weigh stations. It didn't really end up being a big deal, we got waved through I think - longest part was just waiting in line to get into the weigh station.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
If you don't believe the sign that saysALL trucks, including RENTAL & Local Delivery must exit then you're a fool who needs to be stopped, and made an example of on the side of the road.
The guy at the rental house won't be paying your ticket for you.
Their job is to rent you a truck, not protect you from yourself.

Good point, the rental place rep even said they'd pay for the ticket which didn't reassure me much.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Yes you have to stop. And the fine for not stopping is pretty big.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Weigh Station stories....
#1. Running from San Antonio to Tampa Bay for The Greg Kihn Band. Back when Joe Satriani was a sideman. I'm running solo with the band gear in a 16ft parcel van, non stop. Fuel / Food / fart breaks that's it. Running clean, too. Except for some fireworks I had picked up in Kansas.
Come into this little Agricultural Inspection station just after heading South in Fla. I'm off the interstate, saving miles and making good time.
The Agent asks me what I'm hauling, where I'm going, when I left, the usual run down.
As I lift the back door, I hear him inhale, as if to taste the air coming out of the back.
I swung my head around and he said, "You're good. Nothing in here."
I asked if he had tasted the air and he acknowledged that's what he was doing.That he could often smell whatever cocaine or weed was baled up in a load. In the days before Red Bull, I was running on Coca Cola and Coffee mixers. Stirred with a Snickers bar.

#2. Driving 24 ft bobtail for Todd Rundgren.
Running from Salt Lake City to the East Coast, through Oklahoma. State trooper pulls us over and asks what we're hauling , where we're going, what time did we leave, same old , same old. Finds out we're "A Bands ROADIES !?!?OMGWTFBBQ!?!" Calls in a drug dog. makes us dump the back so the dog could walk the load.
Nothing.
Zip. Nada.
But a bunch of wasted time. Thanks, just doing that job.
Whatever. Better fishing at the lake , I hear.

I have more, just wait.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
thats stupid. Weigh stations should be only for CDL drivers.
Some of the worst wrecks I have seen on the road have been from a civilian driving a truck that they couldn't control.
Going from an SUV to a 16 ft or larger vehicle is outside of most people's perceptive capabilities.
Especially if they are chewing gum or talking. ^_^:eek::D
Add to that most people can't load or secure a load correctly and you'rve got a disaster just waiting to happen.
Riding the brakes, following too closely, driving too fast for the load / road.
All common HABITS of automobile drivers that do not translate to truck driving at aLl.

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
interesting.. I did move from Louisiana to Pittsburgh in a 16 ft Penske and never stopped at weight station. At the time my GF was driving her car so we just used handheld two way radios to communicate to each other. She stayed behind me to make sure my blind spots were clear in crowded interstates and when the road was good we just kept on truckin

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
In Washington the magic number is 16,000 pounds. Wherever you go just watch the signs and you'll be OK. For example, we have weigh-in-motion at several stations on I-5, and the computer system counts your axles and weight. IF you are empty or light and there are a few trucks in line getting weighed, the automated system will tell you to bypass the station and keep on truckin':D

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
I drove a 26' Penske from Memphis to Minneapolis back in 2006 and didnt stop either. Like RedComet at the time my wife and son were in the Durango behind me helping to keep an extra set of eyes on things. That will certainly be the last time I pack and move myself across country again.

Anonemous

Diamond Member
May 19, 2003
Went through the weight station, there was nobody there so I just went over the weighing scales slowly. I even saw other Uhaul trucks ignoring the station driving by. Looks like the CHP really didn't care if you stopped in or not to weighed. Meanwhile on the Northbound side, I saw alot of trucks stopped along with more border patrol cars parked there so I guess if you are going Northbound on the 5 then you would stop but Southbound on the 5 not really.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I moved a Penske truck full of stuff from Sacramento to LA and never stopped. If it's household stuff then there's no reason to.