Question Do most people need the fan on their X570 motherboard?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
I have had my X570 mobo for a month and the fan on it is covered by the GPU but it spins quietly and my motherboard temp is never high. Is the fan needed for me or only for people who are really taxing the PCIE 4 lanes?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Unless it's causing issues like unwanted noise I would just keep it running. A partially obstructed fan is still better than no fan at all.

Having said that though I don't think the board would crap out if it were turned off or disabled under normal use.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Unless it's causing issues like unwanted noise I would just keep it running. A partially obstructed fan is still better than no fan at all.

Having said that though I don't think the board would crap out if it were turned off or disabled under normal use.
I do not even hear the fan, i am more curious. i know there is one mobo without a fan but it has a heatsink that wraps around the back. I am wondering is a GPU enough to heat up the mobo or do i need one or more than one M.2 drive?

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I do not even hear the fan, i am more curious. i know there is one mobo without a fan but it has a heatsink that wraps around the back. I am wondering is a GPU enough to heat up the mobo or do i need one or more than one M.2 drive?

Depending on your GPU it might not be heating up the southbridge much. I have a feeling those fans are for fully loaded boards and if it's just gaming they aren't necessary at all.

Reactions: JimKiler
Feb 4, 2009
For all the pre-release drama, I can’t hear my x570 fan and I suspect it’s not necessary unless you load up on drives or something 99% of us won’t do.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
On my X570 board I can control the speed of the on board fan. When I had it running low the temps shot up, so I set the rpm to max 6000rpm. It stays in the low 50C range, and since the fan made no noise, I left it at that.

Feb 4, 2009
On my X570 board I can control the speed of the on board fan. When I had it running low the temps shot up, so I set the rpm to max 6000rpm. It stays in the low 50C range, and since the fan made no noise, I left it at that.

You have an asrock board correct?
Where did you find the fan control?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You have an asrock board correct?
Where did you find the fan control?
Yes, I do, but I have to get back to you on the fan control. I have to go in the bios to check. Shutting down.....
I'm back it is under:
H/W Monitor, Fan Configuration, SB_Fan1 Setting.
You have choices to pick from. I forget the fan speeds on all but the Max setting. That's 6000rpm on my board.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yes, I do, but I have to get back to you on the fan control. I have to go in the bios to check. Shutting down.....
I'm back it is under:
H/W Monitor, Fan Configuration, SB_Fan1 Setting.
You have choices to pick from. I forget the fan speeds on all but the Max setting. That's 6000rpm on my board.
How is your case airflow? Does it bend like a reed in the wind? Or is it hotter than Arrakis in there? :D

Honestly, I know you would never goof something like that. But that may be the primary reason for adding the fan i.e. all these RGB ring fan glass front cases with terrible airflow.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
How is your case airflow? Does it bend like a reed in the wind? Or is it hotter than Arrakis in there? :D

Honestly, I know you would never goof something like that. But that may be the primary reason for adding the fan i.e. all these RGB ring fan glass front cases with terrible airflow.
Case airflow is good. It bends like a reed. :D I have 3 fans in the front of my case, that gets air from the front sides. I have 1 fan in the back pulling the air out, along with the 2 fans on top of my radiator.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
With a 2200RPM spinning fan my mobo chipset temperature is 60C in idle, so I'm pretty sure I need it.

Of course, it would be a whole lot better if it had a decent size heatsink installed, e.g. made of copper, so that you could go without a fan which is bound to break sooner or later but looks like motherboard vendors happily embraced this opportunity to reduce their motherboards potential lifespan.

It really sucks actually. I vividly remember the days of nForce chipsets with fans which broke in less than a few years of uptime. It looks like a considerable number of owners of X570 chipset based motherboard will soon meet the same fate.

Feb 4, 2009
With a 2200RPM spinning fan my mobo chipset temperature is 60C in idle, so I'm pretty sure I need it.

Of course, it would be a whole lot better if it had a decent size heatsink installed, e.g. made of copper, so that you could go without a fan which is bound to break sooner or later but looks like motherboard vendors happily embraced this opportunity to reduce their motherboards potential lifespan.

It really sucks actually. I vividly remember the days of nForce chipsets with fans which broke in less than a few years of uptime. It looks like a considerable number of owners of X570 chipset based motherboard will soon meet the same fate.

I’m pretty confident my x570 board would run with the fan off

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
I’m pretty confident my x570 board would run with the fan off

Great! Now please test it and report your results after running this way for a week or two. Also, it would be great to hear how you manage to RMA it afterwards because I'm almost sure something will melt and render your motherboard dead ;-)

Jokes aside nothing will probably melt but your system will most likely keep on shutting down.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Great! Now please test it and report your results after running this way for a week or two. Also, it would be great to hear how you manage to RMA it afterwards because I'm almost sure something will melt and render your motherboard dead ;-)

Jokes aside nothing will probably melt but your system will most likely keep on shutting down.

No bios option to turn it off. I did try quiet mode for around 30 minutes, temp went to 62.5C and I’ll admit if the machine was doing something stressful it would be higher.
Really my point was even if it fails, which would be a pain in the ass using a fan like this:

To do this is very possible

6E67462C-9BAC-48FB-9A1B-91563424D8BC.jpeg

Way too much drama around the chipset fan. Approaching bad vrm or coil whine or bad caps levels. I’d prefer not to have a fan but having the fan really isn’t a problem.

Reactions: JimKiler

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
Quiet mode and it reaches 62C? That means it can easily heat up to 90s or even higher with no fan.

The drama is because a good PC is a PC which requires little to no maintenance. For instance I have a PC built in 2010 which works perfectly even today. I clean the CPU fan every 2-3 three years (there's very little dust actually but I do it because I like it to look perfect) and that's it.

All these chipset fans are non-standard, they are difficult to procure, they get clogged up with dust a lot faster and most importantly your solution doesn't really work with a large number of X570 mobos because their chipset is right under the GPU - there's very little space for anything.

Feb 4, 2009
Quiet mode and it reaches 62C? That means it can easily heat up to 90s or even higher with no fan.

The drama is because a good PC is a PC which requires little to no maintenance. For instance I have a PC built in 2010 which works perfectly even today. I clean the CPU fan every 2-3 three years (there's very little dust actually but I do it because I like it to look perfect) and that's it.

All these chipset fans are non-standard, they are difficult to procure, they get clogged up with dust a lot faster and most importantly your solution doesn't really work with a large number of X570 mobos because their chipset is right under the GPU - there's very little space for anything.

Point accepted however if you want maximum reliability and minimal messing around you wouldn’t build your own. You should get a HEDT.
Maybe my opinion will change as of now I feel there is way too much drama regarding the chipset fan. Just use a x470 or wait for the B550 boards.

yeshua

Aug 7, 2019
Point accepted however if you want maximum reliability and minimal messing around you wouldn’t build your own. You should get a HEDT.
Maybe my opinion will change as of now I feel there is way too much drama regarding the chipset fan. Just use a x470 or wait for the B550 boards.

The rumor mill says B550 mobos will lack PCI-E 4.0 and I bought my mobo to last as long as possible in terms of upgrades. Also it would mean I'd have to postpone my upgrade from my aging PC for quite some time. Anyways the chipset fan doesn't really bother me but what bothers me is something I can't discuss on these forums. PM me if you wanna know the details.

Feb 4, 2009
The rumor mill says B550 mobos will lack PCI-E 4.0 and I bought my mobo to last as long as possible in terms of upgrades. Also it would mean I'd have to postpone my upgrade from my aging PC for quite some time. Anyways the chipset fan doesn't really bother me but what bothers me is something I can't discuss on these forums. PM me if you wanna know the details.

*I think* I’ve read it will have PCIE 4.0 for one thing, so one drive or one graphics slot

I understand the desire to be future ready. I 10.5 years on my previous build.

Feb 4, 2009
Board manufacturers say the PCH/southbridge can get up to 90C or so before it probably throttles. So whoever put that 120mm fan is in tinfoil hat land.

that was a tomshardware post about a B450 board. I don't remember the specifics but the poster was a nerd like all of us and was concerned about high temps, I think they were mid 70s but I am not positive.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002

I had a Socket 939 nForce mobo and when the southbridge fan died the mobo stopped working. But those spun at a constant speed. Hopefully these will last longer since fan technology is light years ahead of nforce motherboards.

As a tangent, i had a dual core Althon on that board and i sold it for $200 on eBay which was enough to build an entire AM2+ rig at the time using previous gen stuff but it was crazy how cheap i could build an AM2 PC when AM3 came out.