Do JWs (Jehovaah Witnesses) bother you?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
These people are annoying. When I'm getting gas, using the laundry mat, food shopping, or when I'm at home I'm alwys bothered by a JW. I'll get the "the end times are near my friend" and I'll get handed their Watchmaker phamplet which I will then throw in my filing cabinet (AKA trash can) when they leave. Its always the same thing. The end times are near. Have you been following the news? Russia is the beast, yadda yadda... it was the same with Covid. The spread of this disease means that we are living in the final parts of the last days, before the last days before the last days of the last days which is the final last days. I'm always nice to these people. It can't be good for your mental state to always believe that the end days are neigh.

BTW, I've known people who have had their lives destroyed by this organization. They sold everything believing that the end times were coming.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I find them mildly annoying and IMO they are superstitious idiots but to be fair I've never once had a JW do anything other then politely leave when I told them I was just fine thanks.

Far as actual problems in my life go they're not even on the radar.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I have never come across one here. Very bizarre that you are “always” bothered by them. Do you have a crazy look about you that suggests you might be open to joining an end times cult?

Maybe he just lives near a JW church?
I get them cold-calling here every now and then.

It's an odd sect. They do have a bad reputation insofar as it's apparently not exactly fun to grow up with Jehovah's Witnesses as parents. On the other hand, they have been persecuted at times by various unpleasant regimes.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
nah, a couple of my grandma's sisters married into JW, but it hasn't affected anything with them

(i don't think their parents were too happy though)

they never bring it up, and nobody ever had to buy them any chritmas or birthday presents, so that was a win

those sisters had kids who are most certainly NOT going to continue the tradition

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
As far as religions go, they're mostly harmless in my opinion. They want to spread the word to everyone around them, but they're pretty open and honest about their intentions at least, and as others stated here...they aren't the fundies trying to run the US as a theocracy.

They annoy people because of the doorbell ringing, especially at dinner time or into the evening, but otherwise...I don't see much else they do that should piss people off tbh. They bother me less than Catholics, Baptists, Evangelicals, etc.

edit for @Mai72 : if you see them in public places and they try to hand you a Watchtower pamphlet, simply don't reach out and take it.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
They have a fairly strong cultish behavior where they ostracize family members/former members of the religion. They also have some particularly wackadoo beliefs, like 144,000 people have already been chosen for Heaven or some nonsense, but all the other adherents to their religion that aren't part of the chosen few still get to go to "The New System" which is more of the "traditional" heaven. They don't allow blood transfusions either.
I did have some knock on my door at my last house, they never bothered me at the previous house because my ex was being officially shunned by the religion.
They never bother me when I'm out and about, they're not interested in having people that look like me in their club (unless I happen to be rich, they do still have that common trait of modern Christian religions, they can overlook a lot if you have money)

Reactions: Captante

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The way the dude Orates is bizarre. I live in an Apartment, so don't get any. Which is fine by me.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
No, we have a gate.
My wife and I were working in the yard last time some of them stopped by, maybe 100' from the gate. They waved, we waved, and kept doing what we were doing.
The lightbulb finally lit up and they realized, we were not going to talk to them. They picked up a rock and set the little watchtower blurb under it on top of the gatepost, and walked away.
I put my arm around my sweetheart and said " god bless our gate"

Seriously, if they come to your door tell them they cannot be talking to you, as you were disfellowshipped. Look it up.
They will make a note of your address and never darken your door again.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
No. It's been years since they knocked on my door. When I was a kid, my mom's friend was into that. Everyone I encountered seemed very friendly, just weird.

Reactions: Captante

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
They used to bother me in the late 70s and 80s when they would knock on my door early saturday mornings ( I lived in an apartment building on the lower east side) disrupting my cartoon watching. I would then blast some Venom or Slayer music then open the door and greet them.

• Haha
Reactions: Muse

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Where do yall live?

I remember a JW doing their evangelionism at a small Korean market in late 90s. Only memory. This was Massachusetts.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Saw some JW's in the hood, so knew they would likely ignore the "NO SOLICITING" sign on the front door, so I was ready.
Even though the wife wouldn't let me answer the door nekid, I just had on boxers, and had a beer in hand.
Opened the door, looked at them, looked at the NO SOLICITING sign, and slowly closed the door.

Reactions: Muse

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They never really bothered me and come to think of it, I don't really see them here anymore. I might also be on "the list" though. Last ones that came here I said I'm born again so they probably figure they're wasting their time.